Alex Semin - High Risk or Perfect Fit

HeadShot

Dec 8, 2009
Semin is the top line wing option we need, I know his cap hit is steep but I don't believe he's washed u, this guy needs a change of scenery and to be put on a line like G and V where those two open up the ice for him and can feed him in the slot, as long as we could shed his cap hit in salary through trading I would love to see us pick him up

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
would u rather have vinny or semin?

On even salaries? Semin. But that's not what you're getting in a trade. That extra 2+ million in cap space would make it all that much tougher to get everyone re-signed in the Summer of 2016.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Semin will play hard to prove a point, and then disappear. Carolina didn't have any problem with him when he was a point-per-game in 2013, since he was on a 1-year contract. He got his money.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
For discussion's purpose, if it were Semin at $1.5 mil retained for Lecavalier, who would pull the trigger? That's a $1 million difference for the same time period. And what (if anything) would the Hurricanes want with such a deal? I think they would be looking for an asset, or else there's little reason to save $1 million over the contract life.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For discussion's purpose, if it were Semin at $1.5 mil retained for Lecavalier, who would pull the trigger? That's a $1 million difference for the same time period. And what (if anything) would the Hurricanes want with such a deal? I think they would be looking for an asset, or else there's little reason to save $1 million over the contract life.

I'm still of the opinion that Vinny isn't finishing the full legnth of his contract so I'd still pass.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

I would do it.

well depending on what were giving up....

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I would do MacDonald + Vinny/Umberger, but that is it. Two turds for one and hope Semin still even cares.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I'd honestly do Semin for Vinny. Semin is a better option then Vinny all over the line up 100% plus having Semin somewhere in the line up opens up a more balanced option. Imagine him with G and Jake, then Schenn, Raffl, Umberger in the LW pecking order. If we got a good coach, potentially just making this 1 trade can really balance things out imo.

Yes the cap will hurt us but if we were able to move Grossman, Vinny and Coburn this off season and add Semin, and 2 of our AHL/Prospect D men, we would still be okay. Based on assumed numbers with no capgeek

Vinny - 5
Grossman - 3.5
Coburn 4.5

Semin - 7
2 AHL/prospects - > 2 mil

We would save roughly 4 mil if my math this early is correct

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
On Monday Brouwer reiterated what has been said many times about Semin – that he lacked work ethic.

“Some nights you didn’t know if he was going to come to the rink,†Brouwer said. “It’s tough to play alongside guys like those, because you don’t know what you’re going to get out of them.â€

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
No way in hell would you take on a player at 7 million a year for three more years in the "hope" he turns it around.

Why your at it, why not go for Mike Richards too.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
You want a poster boy to scream all that is wrong with guaranteed contracts, Semin is your man. One of the great talents in the league when playing for a contract. Invisible once he has it.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
much rather pay for another stem cell treatment for gordie howe and take him

(whom, btw, is doing fantastic if anyone hasn't heard)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad