News Article: Alex Ovechkin Played Through a Lower-Body Injury, "Pain-Numbing Injections."

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It is. That's why I want to see him traded. Something needs to change but we don't have to humiliate him. In any case, the window of contention was slammed shut by this playoff loss, Caps need to become a young team. The NHL is now a young man's game, Ovi is a thing of the past at this point.

Nah we should humiliate the **** out of him, ****er deserves it for having a busted leg

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
...and the excuses coming rolling in.

:laugh:

I'm not one for excuses, either, but look at those ****in pictures. I've had a bruise that size twice in my life and both times felt like the end of the goddamn world just to move around enough to not appear dead. If this is legit, this dude played 10 games of NHL playoff hockey on that leg. **** that.

I'd have posted those pictures the next day to justify my eating nachos in the press box during the following game. And I'd be naked, cuz I wouldn't even want to pull drawers on over that. That has to hurt like a mother******.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin used to get 110 points, he has been declining. don't play dumb.

who's playing dumb? 110 points. He has 109 points one season a long time ago. Same season Backstrom had 100 pts.

Since that season there has never been a season with a 110pt player and no season with more than one 100pt player in the league.

Lets not talk about his repeated 50 goal seasons are any less impressive than they actually are

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It is. That's why I want to see him traded. Something needs to change but we don't have to humiliate him. In any case, the window of contention was slammed shut by this playoff loss, Caps need to become a young team. The NHL is now a young man's game, Ovi is a thing of the past at this point.

I can argue he may be more humiliated being traded. Or more likely catching wind of it, and it taking months to work out a deal, stuck here in the interim.

Especially if it is for a less than fair return. Traded for peanuts.

I think we are all assuming he really really really wants to be our captain next year. All except for me. I am not convinced since i dont really see him embracing the role.

Hurting his feelings is far down my list of concerns about him. He can afford happy pills :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
...and the excuses coming rolling in.

:laugh:

I don't think anyone who's played a high intensity contact sport or had an injury like that would call it an "excuse". Especially since he didn't even tell anyone until after the playoffs were over.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I cannot recall the last time I heard of a hockey player having a torn (tex?) hamstring. Not that we hear about injuries with regularity, but we used to albeit many moons ago.

Ovi used to get by on sheer physical dominance. It's a disaster for our team for him to half ass it all year, or be in less than optimal shape, and then expect to dominate in the playoffs. Lead us as our best player and captain ;), to the promised land.

We were lucky to get an ESG out of him. I don't give a rats ass how many points he had - he is surrounded by our top players. The dude struggled to score ESG over the past 4 months, long before injury struck. Can we count them on one hand, or did we finally make it to 2.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Has anyone here actually played sports beyond mites or pee wee? Are any of you older than Ovechkin and facing the daily bumps and bruises and mystery pains that come along with being an aging athlete? Have you been through surgeries or physical therapy? I think a few of you fit this description but I'm guessing most don't. It sounds preachy but unless you've been through these things you're just stabbing at the air with theoretical armchair analysis of things that really require day to day experience.

The modern approach is to keep active as much as possible and get active as soon as possible in order to retain strength and mobility/ROM. It's very hard for a professional athlete--especially a high priced team captain--to take time off to completely heal. Only during an injury's acute phase do you rest and hope to reduce pain and swelling. After that you may be impaired but you're still supposed to be active.

It's also very hard to distinguish between what's "Oh **** I need to stop and let this heal" injury vs the inevitable aches and pains that go along with the package. Some things go away, others don't. You can't just lie in bed all day for 2 weeks and BING your health bar is full like some video game character that's found a rest point. There is ALWAYS something wrong, and it's often hard to pin down.

It's not difficult to imagine several lingering injuries affecting Ovechkin all year, and then becoming magnified in the playoffs following the trauma of a hit like Kadri's. Having your knee joint bent backwards is going to put a violent strain on your opposing muscles, like the hamstring which may be fatigued or damaged from a long season. Playing on that for a few more games or weeks is going to impair recovery and make a tear more likely.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Has anyone here actually played sports beyond mites or pee wee? Are any of you older than Ovechkin and facing the daily bumps and bruises and mystery pains that come along with being an aging athlete? Have you been through surgeries or physical therapy? I think a few of you fit this description but I'm guessing most don't. It sounds preachy but unless you've been through these things you're just stabbing at the air with theoretical armchair analysis of things that really require day to day experience.

The modern approach is to keep active as much as possible and get active as soon as possible in order to retain strength and mobility/ROM. It's very hard for a professional athlete--especially a high priced team captain--to take time off to completely heal. Only during an injury's acute phase do you rest and hope to reduce pain and swelling. After that you may be impaired but you're still supposed to be active.

It's also very hard to distinguish between what's "Oh **** I need to stop and let this heal" injury vs the inevitable aches and pains that go along with the package. Some things go away, others don't. You can't just lie in bed all day for 2 weeks and BING your health bar is full like some video game character that's found a rest point. There is ALWAYS something wrong, and it's often hard to pin down.

It's not difficult to imagine several lingering injuries affecting Ovechkin all year, and then becoming magnified in the playoffs following the trauma of a hit like Kadri's. Having your knee joint bent backwards is going to put a violent strain on your opposing muscles, like the hamstring which may be fatigued or damaged from a long season. Playing on that for a few more games or weeks is going to impair recovery and make a tear more likely.
There is a reason why these people make millions of dollars. I don't feel pity at all.

They also have a 6 month offseason. I would love to have an offseason from my work.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane

Actually yes, brief stint in the Western Hockey League and four years in Hockey East. Career ending (and life altering) injury at the age of 22 (Post Concussion Syndrome). Further serious injury at age 24 in pre-season tryouts that ended any chance of a comeback career for good....(Tib/Fib Fracture w/displacement caused by slew foot).

I am 45 now and hold 2x M.A.'s, however since they are not in a medical field and nor am I an "older athlete" up on the "latest trends" in injury recovery I will delete my previous post and refrain posting any further observations or opinions in the future since I am clearly unqualified to do so.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There is a reason why these people make millions of dollars. I don't feel pity at all.

They also have a 6 month offseason. I would love to have an offseason from my work.

Ridiculous to assume that money or the offseason somehow negates anything I was talking about.

Your pity isn't the goal. Understanding and having an informed opinion is.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Actually yes, brief stint in the Western Hockey League and four years in Hockey East. Career ending (and life altering) injury at the age of 22 (Post Concussion Syndrome). Further serious injury at age 24 in pre-season tryouts that ended any chance of a comeback career for good....(Tib/Fib Fracture w/displacement caused by slew foot).

I am 45 now and hold 2x M.A.'s, however since they are not in a medical field and nor am I an "older athlete" up on the "latest trends" in injury recovery I will delete my previous post and refrain posting any further observations or opinions in the future since I am clearly unqualified to do so.

Sorry to hear about your injuries and what they did to your career.

As a guy in his mid-40s do you agree or disagree with what I said about aging and nagging, sometimes mysterious ailments/aches/etc? Have you tried to consistently perform at your 22 year old level as a 40+ year old? Or even when you were in your 30s?

Even in our 20s we can become derailed by injuries. Imagine what it's like when you're an NHLer for over a decade and piling up injuries every single year.

And we're discussing things here, not writing prescriptions. We don't have to be doctors or orthos but we should at least have some idea what we're talking about.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Ridiculous to assume that money or the offseason somehow negates anything I was talking about.

Your pity isn't the goal. Understanding and having an informed opinion is.

Were was the understanding when backstrom played with a bad hip? Oh no he was garbage.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
They should have gone all in last year instead, and take Kadri from Toronto but everybody was so happy when they get ride off Laich so cheap. IF they have take Kadri they dont have to give up 2 seconds for Eller either.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Who's feeling pity. Pity and accounting for performance based on injury is different.

I road race sports cars professionally. I have sponsors that expect a lot. Its not hockey but its very physically demanding and there is real performance pressure. Oh and it could kill me too. What GOON says here should get some cred.

edit...oh

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
oh....the 6 month off season is a joke. firstly, training camp starts in September. June, July and August is the off season. In that time a player is training. Injured players have serious rehab. Players like Wilson are training daily on their skating and so forth. They are all trying to get back the conditioning they are lost during the course of every season.

Its a full time job.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
oh....the 6 month off season is a joke. firstly, training camp starts in September. June, July and August is the off season. In that time a player is training. Injured players have serious rehab. Players like Wilson are training daily on their skating and so forth. They are all trying to get back the conditioning they are lost during the course of every season.

Its a full time job.

Don't forget there were World Cup games starting in early September last year with prelim training going on before that so there wasn't much offseason to be had and there was high intensity hockey for a long period of time.

Just about every year these guys are playing nearly year round. Most do not just sit on their butts eating Doritos and watching Netflix for several months. Except maybe Kessel.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. I dont remember Backstrom getting ripped by anyone after the injury was announced except for the people that call injuries an excuse.

2. I dont know enough to know but its certainly frequent that a person favoring one injury creates injury elsewhere. I would not be shocked to find out that trying to compensate for the knee, he damaged his hammy. And that bruise. yikes. Looks like a thigh bruise a bone bruise/thigh that i got when my thigh hit the bottom of the steering wheel in a crash. that hurt like a mopho

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe Toronto didn't want to trade Kadri in a deal involving Brooks Laich? Or trade him at all?

The Caps targeted Kadri 2 or 3 years ago, I think when Trotz first came on and wasn't able to get him at his price tag then and (if I recall correctly) at the time he was seen as a bit of a disappointment. If they couldn't get him then I very much doubt they were getting him last year when he rebounded.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Only way for them to salvage the upcoming season is to get Sutter and Lombardi.

2 guys who have proven to be able to win recently, twice, Lombardi has a cutthroat reputation and those 2 wouldn't take any perceived **** from Ovechkin, would bring back fan interest vs this just being another fated season under Trotz. Team is built to their specification so they could run their systems with average off-season changes vs major teardown. Could help with retaining Williams as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad