News Article: Alex Ovechkin Played Through a Lower-Body Injury, "Pain-Numbing Injections."

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He won't, he doesn't care.
He may want to be at his best for the Olympics, though. So he can compete with a bunch of amateurs...and lose.

Edit: More seriously re: the Olympics, that's the convenient out here. If Leonsis wants to get out of the contract he may well be able to persuade Ovechkin to "retire" and head to the KHL, where he'll be spoiled like never before and be free to play in the games. It could be the best for all parties. The Caps would only get cap space but in terms of change it's probably the most realistic scenario. That whole demand of his would greatly complicate any NHL trade scenario and, barring that, it also has significant distraction potential for next season if they're a fringe team.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He may want to be at his best for the Olympics, though. So he can compete with a bunch of amateurs...and lose.

Edit: More seriously re: the Olympics, that's the convenient out here. If Leonsis wants to get out of the contract he may well be able to persuade Ovechkin to "retire" and head to the KHL, where he'll be spoiled like never before and be free to play in the games. It could be the best for all parties. The Caps would only get cap space but in terms of change it's probably the most realistic scenario. That whole demand of his would greatly complicate any NHL trade scenario and, barring that, it also has significant distraction potential for next season if they're a fringe team.

That's only if you think he really doesn't want to win the cup.

I think he just doesn't know how and lacks some skills, not the desire.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Questioning his deteriorating skills and how they relate to his burdensome salary for the next 4 years is a perfectly sane and reasonable thing to do.

Anyone questioning his heart or desire is baselessly speculating at best and maliciously attacking at worst. Be better. There are far more reasonable explanations for the Capitals' failures in the playoffs than Ovechkin's lack of heart.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm not as worried about Ovie's mobility (still a concern) as I am about his hands. He was a turnover machine this year, especially in the O zone. He looked like a guy playing in a beer league above his level, who thinks he needs to get the puck off his stick ASAP.

I assume that's not totally due to injury, since the hands have been getting worse since the Oates era.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
so.... what happened to his hands. Its like he is handling a hand grenade, get rid of it quick. Game 4, wow he just looked especially awful with the puck. G4 he lost a puck at the bench without a fight that led directly to a GA.

It's like he has little confidence on the puck anywhere but unchecked skating at the goalie. Of course Pitt had been hounding all our players all series, but it was off the charts easy to take the puck from him.

He has always been the bull in the china shop vs the fancy francis type, but he didn't used to lose the puck skating at 400 km/hr like he does now, at any speed.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I want a captain that busts his hump for more than just the games he is not injured in the playoffs. Either they need to be a rah rah guy in the room, or giving the effort out on the ice. But that is just me, and yes I am fine with the heartache and drama drama it will create in the locker room and canada. Rip the C off and stick it on Cherry's ****ing forehead for all I care. If the room cannot handle the drama of a captaincy change, we have no chance to win a game 7 down a goal. Out with the worthless and weak.

As the infamous Dean Wormer said sarcastically, a fine example you set. We need an example set, and I don't think Ovi is that example. He will energize the team with his goals and hits like he always has, with or without a C made in china sewn onto his jersey.

Something has to change, and I think easing expectations and responsibilities on him may actually help more than hurt. Can Ovi or anyone hurt more than they are now?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Come on. That's not normal "bumps and bruises". It appears to be from a pretty serious grade 3 strain/tear.

I will never question a hockey players toughness but that toughness can also be a negative. Especially when its as serious as that looks.

Not a fan of the cloak and dagger stance on injuries in the NHL. And it really pisses me off to hear about **** like this after another choke in the playoffs where us fans spend a lot of time arguing back and forth about suspected injuries to explain poor play.

Is OV with a grade 3 hammy tear good enough to win a SC? Clearly not. Especially considering his performance in game 7. So why play him with that? Because Russian Machine Never Breaks? Would the Pens series have been different if OV sat a couple games to allow someone with two working legs to play? We will never know.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I will never question a hockey players toughness but that toughness can also be a negative. Especially when its as serious as that looks.

Not a fan of the cloak and dagger stance on injuries in the NHL. And it really pisses me off to hear about **** like this after another choke in the playoffs where us fans spend a lot of time arguing back and forth about suspected injuries to explain poor play.

Is OV with a grade 3 hammy tear good enough to win a SC? Clearly not. Especially considering his performance in game 7. So why play him with that? Because Russian Machine Never Breaks? Would the Pens series have been different if OV sat a couple games to allow someone with two working legs to play? We will never know.

Yeah I don't know the answer. Only the players and trainers and coaches can really make the call on who plays and who sits.

But it explains little things like one pass Shattenkirk made to Ovechkin in the neutral zone that was way too hard and too far ahead, and Ovie didn't even try to sprint for it. Just stood still and looked at 22 who kind of looked at the rafters.

If you have a torn hammy and you're hopped up on drugs you're probably not going to have burst. And this would explain why Ovie's choppy steps looked like skating in mud. He could lift but not push.

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco

I totally agree with this. Like in the situation of Alzner, I cant help but think he ruined himself keeping on that ironman streak. If he had taken significant time off, I wonder how things wouldve turned out, and its not like the team regularly hurts for points in the regular season, so why put undue risk on yourself playing through things?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Stripping Ovechkin of the captaincy will bring nothing positive, only humiliation for him. If that's the plan, we might as well play it smooth and trade him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe our coach could just ask him if he wants to be captain. Lay out the responsibilities he expects of his captain, and see if he'd rather not be. All behind closed doors. As I understand it, his teammates elected him for obvious reasons. It does not mean he wanted it, or embraced it.

Is the new coach saying he wants no C in July, or rotating Cs through the season etc, really more humiliating for him than all the game 7 / 2nd round failures under his leadership... finding himself with low TOI, or becoming a 3rd liner... I just don't see it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Maybe our coach could just ask him if he wants to be captain. Lay out the responsibilities he expects of his captain, and see if he'd rather not be. All behind closed doors. As I understand it, his teammates elected him for obvious reasons. It does not mean he wanted it, or embraced it.

Is the new coach saying he wants no C in July, or rotating Cs through the season etc, really more humiliating for him than all the game 7 / 2nd round failures under his leadership... finding himself with low TOI, or becoming a 3rd liner... I just don't see it.

It is. That's why I want to see him traded. Something needs to change but we don't have to humiliate him. In any case, the window of contention was slammed shut by this playoff loss, Caps need to become a young team. The NHL is now a young man's game, Ovi is a thing of the past at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad