Alex Nylander

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He's absolutely getting a contract. He's an RFA and won't cost much at all. Worst case, he goes to Rockford.

No doubt the injury is a set back for Nylander. Hopefully, he's watching the team play this season and realizing that he needs to adopt the same work ethic to his game. Skill alone doesn't cut it in this league and I would be lying if I said I thought Nylander has the character to play in Chicago. Hope I'm wrong and a bell will go off for him.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
No doubt the injury is a set back for Nylander. Hopefully, he's watching the team play this season and realizing that he needs to adopt the same work ethic to his game. Skill alone doesn't cut it in this league and I would be lying if I said I thought Nylander has the character to play in Chicago. Hope I'm wrong and a bell will go off for him.

you know I think the time off watching will be a positive for Nylander and if I was a betting man which I am not...I think he comes out next year and gives 100% effort all the time. Its not like he did not give 100% at times when he was in the lineup. I do think that he could be a perfect complimentary piece to a top 9 line if he gets the 6 inches between his ears straightened out. He obviously has offensive skill and he does possess the skill and impotence to play a 200 foot game, he just needs to put it all together.

He needs to be told to watch and emulate Kurashev's puck pursuit and Hagels efforts....

Reactions: Muffinalt

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
you know I think the time off watching will be a positive for Nylander and if I was a betting man which I am not...I think he comes out next year and gives 100% effort all the time. Its not like he did not give 100% at times when he was in the lineup. I do think that he could be a perfect complimentary piece to a top 9 line if he gets the 6 inches between his ears straightened out. He obviously has offensive skill and he does possess the skill and impotence to play a 200 foot game, he just needs to put it all together.

He needs to be told to watch and emulate Kurashev's puck pursuit and Hagels efforts....

:huh:

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Why do you think Nylander will suddenly be interested in playing max effort hockey? Nylander is a practice All-Star. He’s dunzo with Chicago. Next stop is Europe.

Reactions: Pertti

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Why do you think Nylander will suddenly be interested in playing max effort hockey? Nylander is a practice All-Star. He’s dunzo with Chicago. Next stop is Europe.
I'm always interested by this take? What did you watch and come away with this.

That's exactly what he was doing January, February, into March. His play on 4th lines in January and February with Highmore and Kampf a lot was a lot of fast high effort play and he did score some too while doing it then and his earlier 4th line role in the year.

People seem so biased and determined to ignore he wasn't a floating providing nothing player all year like in their minds.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm always interested by this take? What did you watch and come away with this.

That's exactly what he was doing January, February, into March. His play on 4th lines in January and February with Highmore and Kampf a lot was a lot of fast high effort play and he did score some too while doing it then and his earlier 4th line role in the year.

People seem so biased and determined to ignore he wasn't a floating providing nothing player all year like in their minds.

You're seeing a different player than I. If that was Nylander's version of high effort he will not be in the NHL for very long.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You're seeing a different player than I.
What part of the seasons are you basing it on? Did you take in any improvements in spots when he was in different roles? Or just make the blanket view?

Was he battling on the boards great or in the net front often even then, not sure. But on the 4th line he was usually solid all fake and forechecking hard and controlling the puck well in the ozone. He had numerous goals and assists there off plays he created off the puck picking off paces or causing turnovers when on that 4th line.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Nylander is gonna have a very tough time cracking our lineup. We're gonna be incredibly stacked at forward. Not that he can't make it happen and he's definitely worth keeping/getting more opportunities to see how much he's improved/grown.....but its gonna be TOUGH because of all of the options we have stock piled.

Fun times ahead. Lots of talent. Lots to look forward to. Nylander or no Nylander.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

I saw him giving max effort. Not sure what you were watching. Effort wasn't the issue. Other than maybe a few occasions here or there(which you could literally say about everyone in the league from time to time if you payed hardcore attention and were nitpicking to that extent).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I've been a focal critic of the Nylander/Joki trade, but moving on from AN this soon would be a huge mistake.

Hawks need top 6 caliber guys. Every team does. You can easily replace a Carpenter or a Kampf or whoever, but it's hard to get a guy that can contribute meaningfully in a top 6 role.

Now Nylander hasn't contributed to that level yet. He may never. But the chance of him being that level of player is worth a ton more than a replaceable 4th liner, even if they're good at their roles.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
I have no clue what any of you are seeing in Nylander. If you have video of him winning board battles, throwing a check, or diving to block a shot - post it. He’s all hands; he routinely slows plays down bc he won’t keep his feet moving. He is a 100% perimeter, shinny hockey player. He is Kane on defense, but without the offense to justify it. I disliked his game in Buffalo and nothing has changed in Chicago. Nylander has NHL hands and North/South speed. That’s it. He is the Anti-Hagel.

Fun fact: the most goals in a season for Nylander since turning pro is 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I have no clue what any of you are seeing in Nylander. If you have video of him winning board battles, throwing a check, or diving to block a shot - post it. He’s all hands; he routinely slows plays down bc he won’t keep his feet moving. He is a 100% perimeter, shinny hockey player. He is Kane on defense, but without the offense to justify it. I disliked his game in Buffalo and nothing has changed in Chicago.

Fun fact: the most goals in a season for Nylander since turning pro is 12.

Yep, the above pretty much sums it up.
And anyone who thinks Nylander can play bottom-6 in this league, he can't. He will never be good enough without the puck - No, I'm afraid it's top's top-6 or bust for him.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
People here acting like Nylander has peaked. Lots of players don't pop until they're 23 or 24. Teuvo, Panarin and Kubalik were all late bloomers. Lots of examples across the league including Mark Stone. I mean he could end up being a Galchenyuk instead, but we gotta find out.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I've been a focal critic of the Nylander/Joki trade, but moving on from AN this soon would be a huge mistake.

Hawks need top 6 caliber guys. Every team does. You can easily replace a Carpenter or a Kampf or whoever, but it's hard to get a guy that can contribute meaningfully in a top 6 role.

Now Nylander hasn't contributed to that level yet. He may never. But the chance of him being that level of player is worth a ton more than a replaceable 4th liner, even if they're good at their roles.
I personally feel Kampf is not easy to replace. I get your point though but having a 4C like Kampf that provides all he does for pennies I do not want to try and find a replacement for.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Lots of players don't pop until they're 23 or 24. Teuvo, Panarin and Kubalik were all late bloomers. Lots of examples across the league including Mark Stone. I mean he could end up being a Galchenyuk instead, but we gotta find out.

You mean he could be like Galchenyuk who had 90 NHL goals at Nylander's age?

Har dee har har

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It seems quite silly to write off Nylander already. Especially coming from an organization that has shown zero ability to develop talent. Like Strome, I'm giving him a clean slate with the Hawks, and throwing out everything prior to coming here.

This is the same organization that saw nothing in Hagel, who appears to be, at the very least, a solid bottom six player... Buffalo is a terrible organization, and it may take a while for Nylander to learn the game here. Rochester hasn't developed many NHLers, either.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Many consider Galy a bust. And that pains me because he was probably the most skilled player I have ever seen play tier-1. He was freaking amazing for CYA...but he is on like hi 4th team already, not a good sign.

He's a poor skater by NHL standards today, and his hockey IQ just isn't good enough to compensate. Doesn't matter how skilled you are if your feet and decision making can't keep up with the pace. I see him out of the NHL in a season or two.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yep, the above pretty much sums it up.
And anyone who thinks Nylander can play bottom-6 in this league, he can't. He will never be good enough without the puck - No, I'm afraid it's top's top-6 or bust for him.

Weren’t you just recently dragging Teravainen again? The same dude who is a key contributor to a Cup contender.

I like battling and grit just as much as you do, but there’s room in this modern league for guys who flash with their skill more than their body.

That said, I want Nylander to come back and work at least as hard as a Kurashev. If he does, I think he’ll be a big factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad