Alex Nylander

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Nylander didn't play with the same level of talent as Saad most of the time, and when he did play with talent he put up some points. Plus, he has better hands than Saad and would have even more points if the Hawks can upgrade the skill level of their third and fourth lines. Those looking to write off Nylander forget that he could do things with the puck that no one else on his line could do when he played on the fourth line. The Hawks need scoring depth, and even a 15 - 25 - 40 year from Nylander from the third or fourth line would do that.
If Nylander had Saad's head, then you'd have something.

Reactions: Muffinalt

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I still think there’s at least a good player there especially if he gets stronger and harder to take off the puck. His defensive game isn’t bad. I think he can be a Saad-like player with better hands and a little worse defensive game (but still above average).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I still think there’s at least a good player there especially if he gets stronger and harder to take off the puck. His defensive game isn’t bad. I think he can be a Saad-like player with better hands and a little worse defensive game (but still above average).

He doesn't use his body enough to be anything close to Saad. He does chip in to help breakup plays and go after pucks but he does it with his stick, not his body. Nylander isn't out-muscling anyone, whereas Saad made a career out of it.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
He doesn't use his body enough to be anything close to Saad. He does chip in to help breakup plays and go after pucks but he does it with his stick, not his body. Nylander isn't out-muscling anyone, whereas Saad made a career out of it.

True. I meant more in terms of point production and defensive presence. Basically the impact they make on the ice. Should’ve clarified that. They’re definitely different players, style-wise, but I think Nylander can be more physical as he gets bigger and stronger.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
but I think Nylander can be more physical as he gets bigger and stronger.

Based on what?

Saad was a 1st line W on two Cup teams and was shuffled in and out of the Toews-Hossa line during the three years that that line was one of the best in the NHL. Nylander has a long, long way to go before he's that caliber of player.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Based on what?

Saad was a 1st line W on two Cup teams and was shuffled in and out of the Toews-Hossa line during the three years that that line was one of the best in the NHL. Nylander has a long, long way to go before he's that caliber of player.

Current Saad is not a 1st line wing. He’s a 2nd/3rd line wing that can play up and down the line-up. That’s where I see Nylander but he’s got better hands and has potential to be better offensively.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Current Saad is not a 1st line wing. He’s a 2nd/3rd line wing that can play up and down the line-up. That’s where I see Nylander but he’s got better hands and has potential to be better offensively.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I’ll believe it when I see it.

Not saying he’s a sure thing because he’s not by any means. Just being optimistic and seeing the talent he has and trying to project where he might be. It’s better than the fans that are ready to get rid of him and chalk the trade up as an L after just one season.

Reactions: Muffinalt

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Saad busted his ass from day 1. Nylander comes across as more of a floater who avoids the dirty areas but makes a nifty defensive play here and there.

They really aren’t comparable players at all IMO.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Saad busted his ass from day 1. Nylander comes across as more of a floater who avoids the dirty areas but makes a nifty defensive play here and there.

That’s definitely a fair point. Again, I meant more in terms of production, he could be similar to Saad. Style-wise, they’re pretty different.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018

I definitely see more of a young Versteeg from his first Hawks stint than a Saad type.

Flashes of brilliance followed by over passing, turnovers and a player you wish would shoot a bit more. Both had very good shots.

Both enigmas. When they are on they could be fun to watch, when they aren't you want them scratched

I see more high end wow from Nylander but he doesn't have the fiesty mentality Versteeg showed at times

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Versteeg was 21 when he debuted, 22 when he put up 53 points as a rookie. I think people forget how good Versteeg was as a young player.

I forgot how young he was doing that. I thought he was a bit older. Remember hearing he was ripping it up for the Bs farm team before the Hawks got him so I figured he was 23/24

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Nylander didn't play with the same level of talent as Saad most of the time, and when he did play with talent he put up some points. Plus, he has better hands than Saad and would have even more points if the Hawks can upgrade the skill level of their third and fourth lines. Those looking to write off Nylander forget that he could do things with the puck that no one else on his line could do when he played on the fourth line. The Hawks need scoring depth, and even a 15 - 25 - 40 year from Nylander from the third or fourth line would do that.

When he decided to to them and not float around looking like he needs a heart transplant.

Nylander's problem is his effort--and that's a major one. Irrespective of his talent if he just goes out there and goes through the motions like he did all postseason long (and most of the season), he's a wasted roster spot.

He's signed through the end of next season. Unless a move comes along asking for Nylander that's too good to pass up, I figure he's got about that much time to prove he can bring it every game and get his hands dirty. If not, well, the NHL graveyard has plenty of players who had talent but played with no heart--he'll just be another on the pile.

Reactions: Pertti and BobbyJet

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Nylander is on his last year and misses all season.

Shall he get new contract?

I would say no cause he might need year or two to get back at his level and I didn't think hes level was high enough for NHL.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Nylander is on his last year and misses all season.

Shall he get new contract?

I would say no cause he might need year or two to get back at his level and I didn't think hes level was high enough for NHL.

Maybe Stan gives him a 2 year deal that can be buried in Rockford if it doesnt work out...Stan likes to do the 2 year deals, if not 1 year deal makes sense...Let him prove he deserves a roster spot, there is enough depth atm that they don't really need him but if he figures it out thats great, no downside to bringing him back...he's not worth much in a trade and they gave up a good prospect to get him so they kind've have to give him another opportunity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad