Confirmed with Link: Alex Nylander Re-Signed - 1 Year, 2 way, League Minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Being in the Habs system probably. They f*** up more prospects than we do.

You're blaming Hextall for something he doesn't control. First off, very rarely do GMS control the affiliate, the assistant Gm does. And then it's the coach that defers to the wbs coach for who's ready or the type of player needed and the GM and AGM do the cap juggle.

Stop blaming the GM for shit he's not responsible for. The upper management actually haven't gone and signed a ton of ahl vets. Which shows they want the kids to develop and get a shot. Archibald is definitely a coach specific signing as all of management wasn't around his first stint so that familiarity is from the coach.
You are crazy if you don’t think Hextall has any say in roster movements and promotions. And if he doesn’t, shame on him.

He oversaw WBS when Allvin left, right???

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You are crazy if you don’t think Hextall has any say in roster movements and promotions. And if he doesn’t, shame on him.

He oversaw WBS when Allvin left, right???
He has say, but thats just because hes in charge of everything overall. Sully, the AGM and the AHL coach have much more weight than he does.

Thats like saying Hex is making decisions on which goalie starts and which players get healthy scratched for a game. Sure he could make that decision, but he wont and doesnt.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I dont mind rotating players in and out and I am always happy when someone gets a game. I am just so f***ing tired of reading 5000 posts about random 4th liners who won't have any real impact in every thread on hfpens and thus destroying every discussion.

There are so many valid arguments on why you would want a guy like Puus staying in WBS for the whole year instead of recalling him and giving him 4th line duties for 10 games. Playing time, responsibilities inside and outside of the game, heck even the physical stress it might take to get the player there and such. It's not like there is a clearly better player waiting in WBS. Some act as if Puus not being there or Archibald getting signed for 900k is costing us the Cup. If a guy is playing 20 minutes every night its valid, but guys like Simon were playing 8 minutes a night with good metrics.

Even calling Hextall Sleepy in every post should be a bannable offense because it displays the maturity level of a 5 year old and is such a dumb way to approach a discussion.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think that honestly, it's not that these WB/S kids are going to do anything super great the NHL, it's that what we have in the bottom 6 isn't really doing anything that extraordinary either and the WB/S mopes could probably do similar for way cheaper. It's basically a comfort/luxury thing, like a mani-pedi or getting the good gelato instead of the ice cream.

None of them are actually any good- they're NHL 4th liners. We've just somehow suckered ourselves into thinking that a 4th line needs to be elite for success because we had Cullen there.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I dont mind rotating players in and out and I am always happy when someone gets a game. I am just so f***ing tired of reading 5000 posts about random 4th liners who won't have any real impact in every thread on hfpens and thus destroying every discussion.

There are so many valid arguments on why you would want a guy like Puus staying in WBS for the whole year instead of recalling him and giving him 4th line duties for 10 games. Playing time, responsibilities inside and outside of the game, heck even the physical stress it might take to get the player there and such. It's not like there is a clearly better player waiting in WBS. Some act as if Puus not being there or Archibald getting signed for 900k is costing us the Cup. If a guy is playing 20 minutes every night its valid, but guys like Simon were playing 8 minutes a night with good metrics.

Even calling Hextall Sleepy in every post should be a bannable offense because it displays the maturity level of a 5 year old and is such a dumb way to approach a discussion.
Whats the happy median though? If we give you guys lots of rope, the complaints start about the conversations. If we dont, we are called modtators and too controlling. :dunno:

Also its summer so there isnt much to talk about except complain about potential bottom liners and pairings. I do agree though that the name calling is rather immature at the least and often aggravatingly annoying.

Reactions: Pens x

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pffft. I bet I'm way better looking than HSL.

I've been told I look like a young Eric Stoltz.

Specifically from some movie with Cher I can't remember the name of right now.

I was once told I looked like Ben Affleck’s dad… and I’m only 4 years older than him…lol…major ouch…

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I've been mistaken for Seth Rogen probably dozens of times now. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. :laugh:

I do know that I wish I was as rich, and as stoned as Seth Rogen though.
You don't coach girls' soccer do you? My daughter played a team this Spring and the head coach looked just like Seth Rogen, as well as dressing like you would imagine him dressing.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I agree that we don’t have any top six players waiting in the AHL, but look at the plugs that have been wasting roster spots over the last couple of seasons - most of them can’t even find jobs in the league.

All I want is for Sully to sit the turds once it’s proven they are garbage. That’s it. Then give some AHL guys a fair chance (not playing with turds for 6 mins a night).

I’m not asking for Z to play with Sid. Some of you act like it’s crazy to ask that Z play over idiots like Simon.

I think I just get frustrated when people pretend Archibald is simply a depth player that won’t even play for the Pens. Where have you been for the last several years?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've yet to see the value of McGinn at 2.75 mil per. That's the sort of contract we could dump and no tears would be shed.

Ya know, besides Zuck and to a lesser degree Kap.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I've yet to see the value of McGinn at 2.75 mil per. That's the sort of contract we could dump and no tears would be shed.

Ya know, besides Zuck and to a lesser degree Kap.
I’m not sure any other team would want him though. Would Hextall be willing to attach a second round pick to him?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The thing is, AHL success does not always lead to NHL success, if the head coach is seriously looking at just stats, he's a bigger idiot than I originally thought. For players, I mean you have those blokes that are a big fish in the AHL and belong there because their talent doesn't extend beyond that league and its apparent when they are called up which is often the case with these journeymen 4th line vets, almost every one of them will produce at better than a .5ppg pace in the AHL while we consider them plugs at the NHL level.

Jank the Wank was a 0.88PPG player in the AHL, NHL - 0.29PPG
Simon (@Tom Hanks ' fav player) was a 0.69 (nice) PPG in the AHL, NHL - 0.30PPG

They both looked good at the AHL level, but have had enough opportunity in various roles in the NHL to show they're not top 6 material at all, Simon had a brief glow up to the top 6, then just bottomed out and hasn't been anything but a marginal 4th liner since. But the stats are not always the main indicator. The point is they were given opportunity and failed, but to not give Pens prospects an opportunity because you've already predetermined them as failing as top 6 players, that's some bullshit.

It's habits, style of play, skill level, and yes, production that pays off from it. The think about Jankowski and Simon is that they've shown they are not even 1/4 of the player they are in the AHL. Meanwhile, Puustinen, just using him as the example because you mentioned him - Showed smart 2-way ability, created multiple chances, impressed Jeff Carter, and produced a smart play that led to an assist to a goal.

He got all of 1 game.

Drew O'Connor, got games, sure. But context is apparently lost on every one of the Sullytards. Drew O'Connor was mostly playing with Brian Boyle and Dominik Simon as his two most common linemates, he had some stints with Heinen and Carter, but not as much as Simon and Boyle.

That's not a fair shot by any stretch of the imagination.

Sullivan has this tendency to shoehorn players from WBS into 4th line roles only, some make sense (AA, Kasper, etc) but Puustinen and DOC have more to offer and have shown it, but when you give them 1 game only or the bulk of your 20 or so games with a bloke that didn't even play in the NHL the year before and the other one was so bad the Flames even were like wtf is this trash? Yeah, not a fair shot.
See John Slaney.
Guy was a solid captain and qb on defense --- could never hold an NHL job. Never understood it.
Literally a career AHL'er... but a very good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad