Confirmed with Link: Alex Nylander Re-Signed - 1 Year, 2 way, League Minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Uhh this is the Penguins. When's the last time we didn't have 4+ players out at a time for extended periods??

Nylander's a guarantee to play if he's #16
Nylander looking at the depth chart heading into camp

FearlessUnsungBluegill-max-1mb.gif

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I even forgot about Caggiula, so probably 17th at least. And that's still putting him ahead of Poulin, Puustinen and Hallander.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah I even forgot about Caggiula, so probably 17th at least. And that's still putting him ahead of Poulin, Puustinen and Hallander.
Sully has no intention on playing Puus again. He’s still pissed at him for getting a point in his one and only game.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess my biggest wish this offseason that you would stop posting random dumb stuff in every thread on this board couldnt be fullfilled. Fire the mods
Am I wrong? Do you really see sully giving guys like Puus a shot when he has turds like Archibald at his disposal?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well we did use 22 forwards last season, so I like his chances.
I mean...

Of the 22...

Doc only played 22, 90% of that with Boyle.
Zohorna got 17, should have played way more.
Puustinen got 1 game.
Bjorkqvist got 6 games and it's because he's more of a 4th liner than any of them.
Hallander got 1 game.
Angello got 4.

Then the other 3 - Simon, Lafferty, and ZAR.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Am I wrong? Do you really see sully giving guys like Puus a shot when he has turds like Archibald at his disposal?

I see Sully giving everyone a shot that is good enough to make a lasting impact in the NHL. This also is a thread about Nylander re-signing so it has nothing to do with Puus.

There is no young player that left the Pens and has become something in the NHL on another team. Sprong is the most noticeable player and we can all agree that he is heavily flawed.

And Nylander didnt make it in Chicago either, its not like he just didnt get a chance.
Chances are that all those players are simply not good enough to fill a role in the NHL and if they were, they would be playing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There's still a small chance that Nylander puts it together and becomes a middle six skill winger. Doubt it but there's a chance.

And regarding Sullivan and youth, did he not play DOC pretty much right out of college?

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I see Sully giving everyone a shot that is good enough to make a lasting impact in the NHL. This also is a thread about Nylander re-signing so it has nothing to do with Puus.

There is no young player that left the Pens and has become something in the NHL on another team. Sprong is the most noticeable player and we can all agree that he is heavily flawed.

And Nylander didnt make it in Chicago either, its not like he just didnt get a chance.
Chances are that all those players are simply not good enough to fill a role in the NHL and if they were, they would be playing.
How many of his pets that he gave every opportunity to ever do anything after leaving here? Sceviour, Jankowski, Simon, etc. I guess you could say Lafferty?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's still a small chance that Nylander puts it together and becomes a middle six skill winger. Doubt it but there's a chance.

And regarding Sullivan and youth, did he not play DOC pretty much right out of college?

Yup. Ditto Marino. ZAR got his chance very soon after signing too.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's like mid-August, and this thread's about a bust who is never gonna be more than a solid AHLer.

Beetlejuice gifs are the highlight of the thread, tbh.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
How many of his pets that he gave every opportunity to ever do anything after leaving here? Sceviour, Jankowski, Simon, etc. I guess you could say Lafferty?

TIL playing <10 minutes a night and being scratched in the playoffs is getting every opportunity. And Simon had very good analytics.
Those are just whatever players that got plugged in on the 4th line, and a lot of them were there for defense only.

Also: Jankowski and Simon had better offensive seasons in the AHL than almost all the Pens prospects that were not given a chance by Sully including Puus

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
TIL playing <10 minutes a night and being scratched in the playoffs is getting every opportunity. And Simon had very good analytics.
Those are just whatever players that got plugged in on the 4th line, and a lot of them were there for defense only.

Also: Jankowski and Simon had better offensive seasons in the AHL than almost all the Pens prospects that were not given a chance by Sully including Puus
It should have been apparent to anyone who didn’t have their heads buried in the sand after 5-7 games that most of the guys playing every night were trash. It doesnr matter that Jank had a good AHL season six years ago…

This thinking keeps idiots like Sully around for way too long. If he can’t see obvious issues in playing turds every single night before exhausting other options, what else is he missing?

BaD LuCK! LeAVe SullY ALonE.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The thing is, AHL success does not always lead to NHL success, if the head coach is seriously looking at just stats, he's a bigger idiot than I originally thought. For players, I mean you have those blokes that are a big fish in the AHL and belong there because their talent doesn't extend beyond that league and its apparent when they are called up which is often the case with these journeymen 4th line vets, almost every one of them will produce at better than a .5ppg pace in the AHL while we consider them plugs at the NHL level.

Jank the Wank was a 0.88PPG player in the AHL, NHL - 0.29PPG
Simon (@Tom Hanks ' fav player) was a 0.69 (nice) PPG in the AHL, NHL - 0.30PPG

They both looked good at the AHL level, but have had enough opportunity in various roles in the NHL to show they're not top 6 material at all, Simon had a brief glow up to the top 6, then just bottomed out and hasn't been anything but a marginal 4th liner since. But the stats are not always the main indicator. The point is they were given opportunity and failed, but to not give Pens prospects an opportunity because you've already predetermined them as failing as top 6 players, that's some bullshit.

It's habits, style of play, skill level, and yes, production that pays off from it. The think about Jankowski and Simon is that they've shown they are not even 1/4 of the player they are in the AHL. Meanwhile, Puustinen, just using him as the example because you mentioned him - Showed smart 2-way ability, created multiple chances, impressed Jeff Carter, and produced a smart play that led to an assist to a goal.

He got all of 1 game.

Drew O'Connor, got games, sure. But context is apparently lost on every one of the Sullytards. Drew O'Connor was mostly playing with Brian Boyle and Dominik Simon as his two most common linemates, he had some stints with Heinen and Carter, but not as much as Simon and Boyle.

That's not a fair shot by any stretch of the imagination.

Sullivan has this tendency to shoehorn players from WBS into 4th line roles only, some make sense (AA, Kasper, etc) but Puustinen and DOC have more to offer and have shown it, but when you give them 1 game only or the bulk of your 20 or so games with a bloke that didn't even play in the NHL the year before and the other one was so bad the Flames even were like wtf is this trash? Yeah, not a fair shot.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
You go back and watch his season in junior, and you wonder where it all went wrong for him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I just wish sleepy and sully didn’t hate young guys playing in the AHL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You go back and watch his season in junior, and you wonder where it all went wrong for him.
Being in the Habs system probably. They f*** up more prospects than we do.

I just wish sleepy and sully didn’t hate young guys playing in the AHL.
You're blaming Hextall for something he doesn't control. First off, very rarely do GMS control the affiliate, the assistant Gm does. And then it's the coach that defers to the wbs coach for who's ready or the type of player needed and the GM and AGM do the cap juggle.

Stop blaming the GM for shit he's not responsible for. The upper management actually haven't gone and signed a ton of ahl vets. Which shows they want the kids to develop and get a shot. Archibald is definitely a coach specific signing as all of management wasn't around his first stint so that familiarity is from the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad