Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Got what I wanted. You get a top 10 pick you get the most talented forward you can get your hands on and you move on.

Only 1 d gone...knew Murray was smart

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Got what I wanted. You get a top 10 pick you get the most talented forward you can get your hands on and you move on.

Most talented player, forward or defense. Nylander was the most talented.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Only 1 d gone...knew Murray was smart

I see you're shifting your goal posts.

Weeks of no defenseman is worth 8..... to only one defenseman gone means Murray was smart.

Juolevi was worth 8OA. He was gone at 5. How do you reconcile that after weeks of preaching that no defender was worth #8?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I have NO idea how good this kid is. I've been watching all the D men because I thought for sure that's the position we would take.

I don't understand. GMTM has repeatedly stated help now on the blue line, not in the future.
This pick makes perfect sense.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Weeks of no defenseman is worth 8..... to only one defenseman gone means Murray was smart.

Juolevi was worth 8OA. He was gone at 5. How do you reconcile that after weeks of preaching that no defender was worth #8?

Goal post remains. Proof is there was only 1 d gone. Murray knows what's up. Skill forwaRd in top 10.

That so many d were available disproves everyone's hard on for need over bpa. Who was going to be a forward. And was. And is.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Goal post remains. Proof is there was only 1 d gone. Murray knows what's up. Skill forwaRd in top 10.

That so many d were available disproves everyone's hard on for need over bpa. Who was going to be a forward. And was. And is.

The point remains that you preached that NO defenseman was worth 8OA. Joulevi went 5th.

BPA would have met need at 8 if Juolevi was available at 8. Which means that it wasn't always going to be a forward. It could've been Juolevi.

You argued no defended was worth 8.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
as I expected Chycrun fell out of the top 10 but that he would
fall that low I wouldn't have guessed...whats wrong with him?
I like Nylander but Serg would have been great too

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Who cares lol

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
His brother came over and played for the Marlies ...no reason to think he wont

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Uchecatov was the last pick of the second round. Lazarev as you mentioned was a third rounder. I wouldn't advocate putting players that weren't good enough to be a first round pick in the AHL at 18. Dome was a 1st rounder yes but he was rushed to the NHL so I would argue that playing 30 games in the NHL at 18 hurt him more than playing 36 game in the AHL at 18. Golubovsky it didn't work out, fine. He was drafted 22 years ago so that's not the best example as to why Nylander shouldn't be in the AHL. Grosek never put it together "with his skill set?!" You mean his skill set that got him drafted 145th overall in the 6th round?! :help:

His skillset that had him traded for a 1st round draft pick.

It hasn't proven to be some sort of slam dunk for development. Most of the guys who have gone that way have flopped. Call me conservative, but I'd rather see him dominate against players his age (OHL) or in his home country (SEL) than get thrown to the wolves in Rochester.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

It hasn't proven to be some sort of slam dunk for development. Most of the guys who have gone that way have flopped. Call me conservative, but I'd rather see him dominate against players his age (OHL) or in his home country (SEL) than get thrown to the wolves in Rochester.

Not saying you're wrong but your evidence is weak. I'd say you take it on a case-by-case basis, with no general rules, especially since the leagues are getting younger all the time. I'd have no reservations starting him in Roch if he looks good enough in camp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not saying you're wrong but your evidence is weak. I'd say you take it on a case-by-case basis, with no general rules, especially since the leagues are getting younger all the time. I'd have no reservations starting him in Roch if he looks good enough in camp.

Weak? A couple of guys have had okay 18-year old seasons and a bunch have turned into ****, but that's weak. Fine, fine.

If they put him in Rochester, I'd like the Amerks to have a couple of guys who can both play and regulate, perhaps even fearsomely. Protection.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
OHL and CHL RotY is nice to have

He's got some amazing skills with the puck on his stick. His speed does take advantage of space that may not be there at the next level, but he's got the burst to get away from his check or go from the wall to the net. It'll be interesting to see who he develops chemistry with going forward.

kingofQueens

Jun 8, 2016
Queens, NY

He he was drafted in the 6th round. At 18 years old he was developed in the AHL and was eventually traded for JP Dumont and Doug Gilmour. Thats what you're going to use as your argument for poor development? I'd be fine with a 6th round pick developing into a trade piece that lands you Dumont and Gilmour. You wouldn't?!

I've given plenty of examples where the AHL at 18 worked.

Your comebacks are well the 60th overall pick and 79th overall pick played in AHL at 18 and they busted. Well guess what? Players taken at those picks bust a lot, regardless of where they are placed for development.

And to say you dislike the AHL as a path of development because it isn't a "slam dunk" is asinine. There is no such thing as a slam dunk for development. Each kid needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

So far you've provided yourself no leg to stand on in your argument.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nylander and Bailey streaking down each wing...... Rochester needs a center to get them the puck

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Great to see!

Leafs/Sabres rivalry with the brothers going head to head along with Eichel/Matthews will be interesting in 2-5 years. I'm excited!

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He's got some amazing skills with the puck on his stick. His speed does take advantage of space that may not be there at the next level, but he's got the burst to get away from his check or go from the wall to the net. It'll be interesting to see who he develops chemistry with going forward.

Not overly excited about the pick but I'm hoping his IQ helps make up for his lack of physicality and perceived laziness through stretches of time.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He he was drafted in the 6th round. At 18 years old he was developed in the AHL and was eventually traded for JP Dumont and Doug Gilmour. Thats what you're going to use as your argument for poor development? I'd be fine with a 6th round pick developing into a trade piece that lands you Dumont and Gilmour. You wouldn't?!

I've given plenty of examples where the AHL at 18 worked.

Your comebacks are well the 60th overall pick and 79th overall pick played in AHL at 18 and they busted. Well guess what? Players taken at those picks bust a lot, regardless of where they are placed for development.

And to say you dislike the AHL as a path of development because it isn't a "slam dunk" is asinine. There is no such thing as a slam dunk for development. Each kid needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

So far you've provided yourself no leg to stand on in your argument.

Exactly. Thanks for saving me the effort of typing! :laugh:

kingofQueens

Jun 8, 2016
Queens, NY
Weak? A couple of guys have had okay 18-year old seasons and a bunch have turned into ****, but that's weak. Fine, fine.

If they put him in Rochester, I'd like the Amerks to have a couple of guys who can both play and regulate, perhaps even fearsomely. Protection.

You're kidding right?! I gave a list of a lot more than a couple that turned into good NHL players.
The "bunch" that turned into busts are later round picks which bust a lot anyways.

I know I'm the new guy to the forum and you're the respected veteran poster and moderator and I respect you for that. But in this case, you're wrong and you haven't had any good proof to back you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad