Player Discussion Alex Newhook

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Interesting how much he outperformed Boldy when they were both freshman in college.

Boldy was a better prospect, and has way more tools to his disposal.

He can play any type of game, but yes Newhook did have a great first season in college.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Interesting how much he outperformed Boldy when they were both freshman in college.
When they started college Boldy was tried at centre (could have been Minnesota's idea). Newhook did well centring the 1st line. Boldy did very little centring the 2nd. When they gave up on the centre experimant with Boldy and put him on Newhook's wing they both did very well. But Newhook did well even without Boldy on his line.

Reactions: themilosh

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Been a fan of Newhook since the 19' draft where if Caufield (ty Jesus Price) wasn't on the board I'm rather sure Newhook would of been a Hab. His biggest knock back then was playing in the BCHL which most considered an inferior league and then he went to Boston for his D+1 and he absolutely dominated, did the same for his D+2 while also being over a ppg in the AHL and a .5 ppg in the NHL. He then put a very respectable 33 points in 71 games in his D+3 for the AVS at 20 yrs old. Up to this point he deemed like he could be something real special. But then...

Was his last 21 yr old season a bit of a disappointment? Yes. Was the price we payed for him considering that a disappointment? Yes Again.

However the way I see it at the worst we get a 15g 40p player who seems to be a good fit for our speedy team identity for a very late first and very early second. And statistically the Habs as an organization tend to average well below drafting/developing a player of even close to that caliber with both picks combined never the less 1 ofbthem. So in the end this is a win at the worst end of it.

With that said I'd be extremely happy with an 18-20 goal season with 45+ points.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Been a fan of Newhook since the 19' draft where if Caufield (ty Jesus Price) wasn't on the board I'm rather sure Newhook would of been a Hab. His biggest knock back then was playing in the BCHL which most considered an inferior league and then he went to Boston for his D+1 and he absolutely dominated, did the same for his D+2 while also being over a ppg in the AHL and a .5 ppg in the NHL. He then put a very respectable 33 points in 71 games in his D+3 for the AVS at 20 yrs old.

Was his last 21 yr old season a bit of a disappointment, yes. Was the price we payed for him considering that a disappointment, yes again.

However the way I see it at the worst we get a 15g 40p player who seems to be a good fit for our speedy team identity for a very late first and very early second. And statistically the Habs as an organization tend to average well below drafting/developing a player of even close to that caliber with both picks combined never the less 1 ofbthem. So in the end this is a win at the worst end of it.

With that said I'd be extremely happy with an 18-20 goal season with 45+ points.
Who do you want us to take this year in the draft assuming Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson are off the board?

InAG-P

Jun 19, 2003
T.O.
Visit site
On one hand, we get an actual hockey player who's still very young and still has untapped potential and who (in my opinion) just needs more icetime, for picks who may or may not make it anyway, and one of our gazillion dmen who's been buried by others as a contract swap.

On the other hand, I'm a draft kind of guy, having 3 picks in the first 37 in this particular draft was kind of perfect, cause we still need talented prospects in the pipeline, hopefully with top upside, to keep building that team of ours, and if everything goes right, having a luxury of young players we can trade to upgrade the main team.

Still, I like bold moves, and to me it's one of those, like many said already, he may be the 'Dach' of this year, and I like it.
This captures how I feel as well. Hurts to let go of picks, but Newhook has lots of upside and can we a solid piece for the future. At worst a 3rd liner. At best top 6 and play driver.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Who do you want us to take this year in the draft assuming Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson are off the board?
I'd love Michkov but would be very happy with Smith as well (never the less Carlsson or Fantilli).

And I realize this makes us on the smaller side on Forward but Tampa Bay built a debatable Dynasty with Kucherov, Stamko, Point, Palat & Gourde in their top 6 for which only Stamkos was 1 inch taller and Suzuki & Newhook have 20-30+ pounds on all of them. This not including Dach, Anderson and Slaf whom are above average.

Where did Tampa compensate for that size difference? On D where if we're lucky we'll have Ghule, Mailloux, Edmondson, Xhekaj & Matheson that are quite big.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Great trade. Clearly a very talented player. We definitely need quality over quantity, and the chances of getting a better player than him at 31 and 37 are very slim. Also, I doubt any of Heineman, Farrell or Roy are more promising prospects than Newhook.

The question is how good will he become. Obviously, playing behind great players is not easy, and being a young player on a mature team competing for the cup can be challenging. Thus, we can expect major improvement just from being in our environment. He will get plenty of minutes playing on the wing with Dach, and probably Anderson.

This is very exciting. HuGo strike again IMO. It's easy to see what they are doing. They are creating a window where a vast majority of our core players will be peaking at the same time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Welcome to the team Alex Newhook. You go and make Kent Hughes proud by silencing the haters. :highclap:
A healthy dose of skepticism is not hate.

As long as we’re open-minded, we can always reserve judgment to later.

Also, we’re seeing a lot of posters who are questioning the deal say that they liked Newhook in his draft year so let’s see how it plays out. Nobody wants him to fail.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Is Newhook moar bigger? Can he be mean and hurt people? I would like at least 1/4 of the forward lineup to be aggressive assholes who other teams hate to be on the ice against.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why? To mess up our draft positions?

Habs are VERY far from challenging still.

It the team improves and proves me wrong, so be it but I want it happen organically not because a goalie stood on his head.

Are you expecting another injury record?

With normal injuries, we would probably be picking 10th or so this year and we will be better next year.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I believe we just fired that department and hired new ones for a reason. There's a big problem if we don't do better.

We're already starting at 82 games with Price out.
Then you have the question marks of Gallagher, Evans and Monahan. Heck. Maybe even Anderson, Edmundson and ++

I'm expecting a bit between the last 2 seasons.

I feel like there isn't that much space for Newhook.. but with the injuries we will inevitably suffer, he should find some playtime

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Me too I want a goon squad.

100+ hits a game. Bully our way to the cup
Is Newhook moar bigger? Can he be mean and hurt people? I would like at least 1/4 of the forward lineup to be aggressive assholes who other teams hate to be on the ice against.
2023-06-27_19-43-32.jpg

Think a translation of what you guys are saying is "Can he help us win in the playoffs"?

With our small core, probably not.

Anyone who watched this year's playoffs and thinks size doesn't matter is out to lunch.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I'm not sold yet.
I think small skilled forwards is something the Habs have in abundance. What was exciting about Dach was the mix of size and skill.
I know 190lbs is heavy for his size but it's not like he's a dominant player along the boards or around the net front.

I'm also not sure I agree with Hughe's obsession with 'accelerating the timeline'. I'd rather he focus on doing it right rather than fast.

That said, this new regime's pro scouting has earned the benefit of the doubt, they haven't missed yet: Barron, Kovasevic, Matheson and Dach.

I have my fingers crossed!

ADDIT:
Avs fans are absolutely thrilled at their return for Newhook....

Last edited:

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Nope.

Some bad reviews on that side.

That said, he's young af, and even Dach played like a little baby when he first got here, then matured into a MAN....

View attachment 722360

Think a translation of what you guys are saying is "Can he help us win in the playoffs"?

With our small core, probably not.

Anyone who watched this year's playoffs and thinks size doesn't matter is out to lunch.

Oh really?

How tall was the guy who won Playoffs MVP?

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I'm not sold yet.
I think small skilled forwards is something the Habs have in abundance. What was exciting about Dach was the mix of size and skill.
I know 190lbs is heavy for his size but it's not like he's a dominant player along the boards or around the net front.

I'm also not sure I agree with Hughe's obsession with 'accelerating the timeline'. I'd rather he focus on doing it right rather than fast.

That said, this new regime's pro scouting has earned the benefit of the doubt, they haven't missed yet: Barron, Kovasevic, Matheson and Dach.

I have my fingers crossed!

With that said...............

Caufield and Suzuki are not 18 years old......

Newhook had a great NCAA season for sure.

Perhaps he was rushed a bit in the NHL.

Perhaps playing on a contender isn't the best for development and he needs more support/time/freedom.

Reactions: cphabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad