Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Waste of picks for Newhook. He brings nothing to the table and is small. Really hate this trade. What was the point other than a loyalty trade from a former agent?

Reactions: Maliki2

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
He had very nice upside when he was drafted. I can’t remember his cons for him to be picked mid-round.

That upside is still there and I’d guess MSL will get at least some of it.

This move might signal Hugues will trade #5 or will go for Reinbacher. I’d still pick Michkov though. He is just too talented to pass.

Hughes said Michkov had a good interview. If he wants to trade the pick, he can’t say anything else though.

I think Newhook is a good addition. I’d expect 45+ pts next year with the appropriate ice time and usage.

On a side note, I can’t wait for Dvorak to leave this team…

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Why? To mess up our draft positions?

Habs are VERY far from challenging still.

It the team improves and proves me wrong, so be it but I want it happen organically not because a goalie stood on his head.
That was not my point, but if Monty prove to be steady, that's far from a problem...

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Imagine going to June 2019 and say that the Habs would have in 4 years a line of Newhook-Dach-Caufield.

It’s like saying today that in 4 years we will have Yager-Carlsson-Leonard.

If you told me that we would get them for a mid first and early seconds I'd have smacked you in the mouth for playing with my feelings.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Newhook was a very popular guy in his draft year... hopefully he has another gear. Now who is Hughes gonna trade away?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I think we gave more than people say we should have because Sakic didn't want to give him up. I'm now fully onboard with this move (wasn't sold at first, because we gave up two decent picks, but I've watched every video on him that I can find and am impressed).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t think he’s similar to Byron at all. He’s not as small, and not as one trick as Byron- also not as good defensively. Newhook may not be tall, but he’s quite strong.

He’s very Panarin like, though probably doesn’t hit that ceiling.
New standard of corpulence for HuGo Habs.

Low centre of gravity, thick, heavy, no chicken rib cage. :sarcasm:

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Put him on the 2nd line left wing and bumper spot with the 2nd unit PP and see what he can do. The tools are there, if you are playing with mostly Cogliano and O’Connor obviously it will be difficult for most players to produce. A player that Hughes knows deeply and based on his comments he deems it is just a matter of confidence and playing to not make mistakes rather than trying to make plays. If we can find a way to ship out Dvo I would like him on Dach’s left wing flanked with Anderson.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
If it’s ok to like the pick up but not love the price, then count me in that group. I’m actually excited to see what he can do with this new opportunity. I get the feeling this will be a great fit for him. I realize as well, that those picks are just that. It’s just as likely they never have the impact of Newhook.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
In your mind, what does a successful 2023-2024 look like for Alex Newhook?

20-25 goals? 40-50 points? A similar year to Dach where we see glimpses of the player he’ll become?

Depends how they will use him. St-Louis seems adamant that he will get playing time on the top 6.

For me, successful would be showing the player he could become. If he can win battles and participate to the cycling offense of the game, I’ll be satisfied.

If it’s the same on the rush offence without adding anything to his game, 40/45 pts should be enough.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Imagine going to June 2019 and say that the Habs would have in 4 years a line of Newhook-Dach-Caufield.

It’s like saying today that in 4 years we will have Yager-Carlsson-Leonard.

y00000000

I just realized...

We're kind of building like Florida.....

Former 1st round draft picks on former 1st round draft picks.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Put him on Dach’s wing.
I'd be fine with him playing with Dach or Monahan.

There will probably be changes. But we have a clear top 9 at this time. MSL will try different combos to find the chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad