Confirmed with Link: Alex Lyon re-signed, 2 years

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think Lyon deserves a legitimate chance to win the backup job. Hes technically sound and had the year to adjust to the game at nhl speed. Stepped his game up in the ahl playoffs. Plus with stolarz coming off surgery and Neuvy s injury history i think Lyon is the most likely to be claimed

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Certainly have a lot of cooks in the crease, going to get interesting how it all shakes out

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
oh wait...
th (18).jpg
BRITTLEFLY TO THE RESCUE!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
My favorite thing about Lyon is that he is a battler in net. He fights for every single save. He is the anti-Bryz. Reminds of Tim Thomas in that way actually.

A 'battler' is at the same time a compliment and a criticism for a goaltender. If he's flailing and just getting any body part on a shot, there's a very strong chance he has no hope to stop a rebound. I saw only tidbits of Lyon with the Phantoms and I know he put up some outstanding performances, but his NHL stint seemed punctuated by off-balance saves and shaky shot handling, such as not directing a long-range shot into the corner. It was his first NHL experience and he should, like all rookies, have room to grow with experience. I just don't know where Lyon fits in the upcoming wave of young talented goalies on the verge of making it with the Flyers.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Glad we still have him he is showing steady progress who knows where he tops out at .

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
My favorite thing about Lyon is that he is a battler in net. He fights for every single save. He is the anti-Bryz. Reminds of Tim Thomas in that way actually.

Yeah I really like his goaltending "style". Would like to see him reel it in a bit though. once Lyon starts sliding around he gets wild haha.

Norze

Jun 28, 2018
Norway
Lyon must stay in NHL this year.
Hart needs space to tear up the AHL and be our PO G! Stolli also need some playtime behind Hart!
We also have a couple of other good G prospects on the way, time to see what we got ......No room for Neuvy!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The best decision is no decision right now:

Elliott is the best bet for every day starter, mediocre but reliable.
Neuvirth is a wildcard, new trainer, maybe it helps, an injury waiting to happen but also the potential to get hot and lead a deep run in the playoffs
Lyon is another wildcard, his .944 S% in the AHL playoffs suggest a goaltender who was much better than the one we saw in Philly, so who is the real Lyon king?

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
We need a VARLAMOV bridge to the Hart -Sandstrom era...I know plugging the goalie hole in the boat is challenging but the ship still has to float and continue on! AND flyersfan187 was spot on in stating that Lyon was a third string goalie.Elliott and Neuvirth aren't bailing enough water in my opinion!
Nothing against Lyon but how much water can this Flyer boat hold?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall really needs to get with the times and start releasing the AAV on these deals.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
And I still think Petr Mrazek would have got us to Hart and Sandstrom in a more competitive fashion than the rest of our goalies!​
Signed with Carolina on a one year $1.5 million...:huh:
Lyon's contract published yet?

Reactions: Morinisbear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad