Rumor: Alex Goligoski

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Goligoski was a solid D-man in Dallas, hard to judge him in a pit hole of Hockey like Arizona.
But he's held his own there.
However, as a 35 year old undersized LH shot, what's the point?
He can play the right side, but so can Ghost and Gus.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Such a Chuck Fletcher move.

I think he's a pending UFA so if the cost is low I don't really care.

Team is going nowhere with or without Goligoski.
This is a move they should’ve made WHILE not resigning Justin ducking braun. Just so dumb to think Gus, hagg, and Braun would’ve been enough to cover niskanen. I know our young d need to be better to cover nisky but they have to do that AND Cover stupid hagg+Braun

Reactions: Rebels57

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Goligoski was a solid D-man in Dallas, hard to judge him in a pit hole of Hockey like Arizona.
But he's held his own there.
However, as a 35 year old undersized LH shot, what's the point?
He can play the right side, but so can Ghost and Gus.
He plays right a lot too. At this point, it makes more sense to trade for a rental than get ekholm and deal with the dilemma of expansions keepers

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He plays right a lot too. At this point, it makes more sense to trade for a rental than get ekholm and deal with the dilemma of expansions keepers

If this team was any good I would go after Ekholm and deal with expansion later. They are losing 1 good player no matter what. But since we suck, there's no point to trade for Ekholm.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If this team was any good I would go after Ekholm and deal with expansion later. They are losing 1 good player no matter what. But since we suck, there's no point to trade for Ekholm.
Ekholm would cost a 1st, Goligoski won’t. Foolish to move a first when even with Ekholm this team isn’t a guaranteed playoff qualifier. They should sell instead but that won’t happen.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
flatcar.gif

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
He would be essentially making a move simply to say they made one.

If they aren’t going to push for a true upgrade, I’d likely be in favour of standing pat and explore selling at the deadline.

They need to decide pretty soon which way they would like to take this season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m a Coyotes fan. He’s been well-worth his contract and has helped Chychrun get where he is. You guys are underselling him a little. He blocks a ton of shots, and can skate and pass very well. He’s a smart, solid player.

He’s incredibly weak and soft, though. So he struggles mightily to defend an established forecheck. He needs to be paired with a cycle buster. If you’ve got a guy who’s strong down low but struggles to move the puck, you’ve got the ideal partner for Goligoski. When paired with a guy like that, Goligoski will ensure the whole pair is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s kinda wizardry.

He’s been a good player for us. And a rare big UFA signing that’s actually worked out well. But I don’t want him re-signed and it’s time to move on. I’d take a 3rd rounder for him and be pretty happy with that.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Time to move on from 1 or 2 of their so called stars.

I could see this being the year for big changes.

I’m a Coyotes fan. He’s been well-worth his contract and has helped Chychrun get where he is. You guys are underselling him a little. He blocks a ton of shots, and can skate and pass very well. He’s a smart, solid player.

He’s incredibly weak and soft, though. So he struggles mightily to defend an established forecheck. He needs to be paired with a cycle buster. If you’ve got a guy who’s strong down low but struggles to move the puck, you’ve got the ideal partner for Goligoski. When paired with a guy like that, Goligoski will ensure the whole pair is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s kinda wizardry.

He’s been a good player for us. And a rare big UFA signing that’s actually worked out well. But I don’t want him re-signed and it’s time to move on. I’d take a 3rd rounder for him and be pretty happy with that.

Yea that won’t work well here.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He may have value but he's not the defensemen we need. If anything he is the antithesis of the defensemen we need.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

Sounds terrible quite honestly.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It has been a long time since I have watched more than two Goligoski games in a season, but my general impression is that he would be a good complement for Braun (from what I can recall of his play).

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Goligoski-Braun

This is a lot better than any combination we can currently see the Flyers employ.

But the question becomes, what's the point? Does Goligoski improve the team enough to jettison whatever assets it will take to acquire him? I'd say yes only if those assets are named Hagg, Gus, or any current member of the taxi squad. I'm certainly not giving up draft picks for 20-30 games of Alex Goligoski in 2021 because he's not going to be re-signed, nor should he be.

I am sure the Coyotes are looking for draft picks, which would be a non-starter for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad