Alex Galchenyuk

Monsieur

Oct 30, 2006
I hope he spend the summer eating a lot of proteins. The opponents are just gently pushing him off the play along the boards every time. If he get ice space, he's showing off his talent. But that's just not happening much in a game.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Lol he doesn't have 70 points in his sophomore season...

BUST!! TERRIBLE PICK!!

I haven't read the word bust anywhere in this thread... beside your post, of course.

If a good top6 player or a Plekanec is a bust in your language... we'll have an hard time trying to understand each other.

CP31

Jun 19, 2012
Welland, ON
I haven't read the word bust anywhere in this thread... beside your post, of course.

If a good top6 player or a Plekanec is a bust in your language... we'll have an hard time trying to understand each other.
I just find It absolutely Pejorative Slured to say that he won't be a ppg (or close to it) and saying he will settle in as a decent top 6er after not even 2 seasons where hasn't been given a prominent role. He is very clearly the most talented forward we have have besides Vanek and maybe Patches and he's freaking 20. Pretty remarkable if you ask me.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I just find It absolutely Pejorative Slured to say that he won't be a ppg (or close to it) and saying he will settle in as a decent top 6er after not even 2 seasons where hasn't been given a prominent role. He is very clearly the most talented forward we have have besides Vanek and maybe Patches and he's freaking 20. Pretty remarkable if you ask me.

Exactly. Please, relax a little people. He's going to be a #1 Centerman.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

How is it Pejorative Slured?

Have all the players who were supposed to become surefire ppg players became ppg players? There are like 15 ppg players in the league right now. It's something pretty uncomon.

I watch Galchenyuk play and I don't see him as a ppg player. I'm not basing it on his stats... OHL or NHL ones. I don't ****ing care about stats.

Come back in 5 years and call me Pejorative Slur if Chucky put up 80pts a year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Alex Galchenyuk
1st year post draft: 0.5625 PPG
2nd year: 0.4827 PPg

Marian Hossa
1st: 1 pt in 7 games
2nd: 0.5 PPG
3rd:0.71 PPG
4th: 0.92 PPG

Jonathan Toews
1st: Not in NHL
2nd: 0.84 PPG
3rd: 0.84 PPG
4th: 0.89 PPG

Lecavalier
1st: 0.34 PPG
2nd: 0.8375 PPG
3rd: 0.75 PPG
4th: 0.48 PPG

Thornton
0.12 PPG
0.5 PPG
0.76 PPG
0.98 PPG

Datsyuk
Not in NHL
Not in NHL
Not in NHL

He's kinda on par with several 1st liner production wise and he was never given a prolonged opportunity to rack up points (exploitation minutes, PP time). I'm not worried about him at all.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Add me to the not worried camp.

Galchenyuk is already one of our most skilled players, you see it when he has even a little bit of room and time with the puck. His hands are insane and he has very high IQ.

He will be a force once he grows into his body.

Looking forward to see how he does next year, hopefully at center.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How is it Pejorative Slured?

Have all the players who were supposed to become surefire ppg players became ppg players? There are like 15 ppg players in the league right now. It's something pretty uncomon.

I watch Galchenyuk play and I don't see him as a ppg player. I'm not basing it on his stats... OHL or NHL ones. I don't ****ing care about stats.

Come back in 5 years and call me Pejorative Slur if Chucky put up 80pts a year.

It'll be my pleasure to call you one. Galchenyuks as clear a star as you're going to see. You're not appreciating a future star center develop and that's your problem.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
The only reason Alex only shows flashes of greatness is his age and his strength. He is only 20, his body is big enough but his body strength wont be at its peek until he hit 23-24. Once he get his NHL strength he will win MANY one on one battles and then he will apply his talent 3-4 times more. His potential is sky high and the best part is HE WANTS THE PUCK, his work ethic is top notch.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's so young and a little timid...his confidence will grow with time. Instead of shying away from contact against the likes of lucic, i hope he'll engage with that ogre...Come on gallagher show chucky the way.

honestly at this stage, I'm fine with him not playing like Gallagher. Don't need him being injured all the time. Gallagher's older and built like a rock. Galchenyuk's not there yet.

Once he gets stronger and hopefully more explosive, he'll be amazing. He's got so many different tools in his arsenal. So few players have his vision/passing/hands along with a deadly shot like he has.

I love how he's such a strong finisher like Vince Carter in his prime. Like he wants to put the puck right through the net and shatter the glass behind it.

He's as skilled as any young player in the game it's just he's lacking the physical maturity of Mackinnon. The good thing is he's a well known gym rat so it's only a matter of time. I really think he can be as good as he wants to be.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Doesn't have to play like Gallagher, but to develop the balls that Gallagher does at least would be nice. I like our players to finish their checks and not worry about repercussions. Teams like to bully the habs because they're considered small and if they fight back they go insane as considering it a lack of respect or something. Look at Chara...how dare does Emelin do what his own team does, how dare he??!!!! We don't roll over for anyone. Not anymore. Chucky developing this attitude will help us go a long way in the future. The kids attitude is amazing, he treats this like a job...unlike Yakupov who considers it a joke.

Pacioretty pissed me off yesterday he was playing like a *****! Shying away from checks not driving the net. If Gallagher needs to teach anyone it's patch. Not saying patch is bad he is the exact opposite but when a game gets physical he plays like he is 5-7 170lbs and not 6-2 217lbs.

mayday199

May 5, 2006
I see his development path moving similar to Joe Thornton; though unless he gets an elite sniper or develops excellent chemistry with a winger with a quality shot I doubt he'll eclipse the 100 point plateau. He is a little smaller than Thornton but remembering how it took 2-3 years for Thornton to fill out and look fully comfortable using body positioning rather than just stick checking while starting out for the B's would be a good reference point for his talent level. In the end he's has a high likelihood of developing into an 80-100pt franchise player.

The two things that impress me the most about the kid is that he shows an excellent work ethic and desire to improve. Secondarily is that he has elite offensive vision. I can think of at least a dozen amazing passes this year that Alex has sent through the offensive zone to a teammate who was looking right at him but that teammate still looked surprised when the pass landed on the tape of his stick.

Regarding him being on the wing, I don't see another option at this point because 1st defensive centre is Pleks and DD is 1st offensive centre at the moment. You don't teach a 19-20 year defensive responsibility by making him your third line centre. To add to the logjam is that Eller seems absolutely useless as a winger.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I see his development path moving similar to Joe Thornton; though unless he gets an elite sniper or develops excellent chemistry with a winger with a quality shot I doubt he'll eclipse the 100 point plateau. He is a little smaller than Thornton but remembering how it took 2-3 years for Thornton to fill out and look fully comfortable using body positioning rather than just stick checking while starting out for the B's would be a good reference point for his talent level. In the end he's has a high likelihood of developing into an 80-100pt franchise player.

The two things that impress me the most about the kid is that he shows an excellent work ethic and desire to improve. Secondarily is that he has elite offensive vision. I can think of at least a dozen amazing passes this year that Alex has sent through the offensive zone to a teammate who was looking right at him but that teammate still looked surprised when the pass landed on the tape of his stick.

Regarding him being on the wing, I don't see another option at this point because 1st defensive centre is Pleks and DD is 1st offensive centre at the moment. You don't teach a 19-20 year defensive responsibility by making him your third line centre. To add to the logjam is that Eller seems absolutely useless as a winger.

Thornton start at something like 6ft4 190 pounds, that's really lanky. He also play all his first year on the 4th line, less than 10 min a night. Gallchenyuk had a very promising 1st season. This year he has regress a little. Of course progress would have been better, but there's some pretty good player in the league who had to go thru the infamous sophomore slump. How he rebound next year will be more telling.

hogtownhabsfan*

It'll be my pleasure to call you one. Galchenyuks as clear a star as you're going to see. You're not appreciating a future star center develop and that's your problem.

You're going to be awfully disapointed then me thinks. Do you have an excuse prepared? Let me guess, it's going to be Therriens fault, right?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
One thing I've noticed is he's competing for pucks alot. His compete level and his ability to strip the puck is improving alot. He's honing the little things :nod:

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Top foward draft pick starting at 18yo first 3 season:
Name
Game-Point

Jordan Staal
81-42
82-28
82-49

Phil Kessel
70-29
82-37
70-60

Patrick Kane
82-72
80-70
82-88

Steven Stamkos
79-46
82-95
82-91

John Tavares
82-54
79-67
82-81

Matt Duchene
81-55
80-67
58-28

Evander Kane
66-26
73-43
74-57

Taylor Hall
65-42
61-53
45-50

Tyler Seguin
74-22
81-67
48-32

Jeff Skinner
82-63
64-44
42-24

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
62-52
40-24
70-48

Gabriel Landeskog
82-52
36-17
70-56

All, but Staal, had their breaktrough season in their 1st 3. Start this in 2006 due to lock out (didn't put in Crosby). I highly doubt you can find a top prospect starting at 18 and not having a breaktrough season in his 1st 3 season becoming a pts per game player. Late bloomer à la Datsyuk, Zetterberg are different case, if they were draft that late it's because they didn't had "it" at the moment of their draft.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Top foward draft pick starting at 18yo first 3 season:
Name
Game-Point

Jordan Staal
81-42
82-28
82-49

Phil Kessel
70-29
82-37
70-60

Patrick Kane
82-72
80-70
82-88

Steven Stamkos
79-46
82-95
82-91

John Tavares
82-54
79-67
82-81

Matt Duchene
81-55
80-67
58-28

Evander Kane
66-26
73-43
74-57

Taylor Hall
65-42
61-53
45-50

Tyler Seguin
74-22
81-67
48-32

Jeff Skinner
82-63
64-44
42-24

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
62-52
40-24
70-48

Gabriel Landeskog
82-52
36-17
70-56

All, but Staal, had their breaktrough season in their 1st 3. Start this in 2006 due to lock out (didn't put in Crosby). I highly doubt you can find a top prospect starting at 18 and not having a breaktrough season in his 1st 3 season becoming a pts per game player. Late bloomer à la Datsyuk, Zetterberg are different case, if they were draft that late it's because they didn't had "it" at the moment of their draft.

Were any of them averaging under 13 minutes/game in their first season and less than 15 minutes a game in their second, while not playing their designated position?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad