Alex Galchenyuk

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
He's not in the top 6. Where did he start the game last night? Bottom 6. If he's top 6 why did he see 0 mins on the PP or OT last night? Give me a break. He's had a couple games this year with Plekanec, the EGG line, and then it's been bottom 6 with Eller and a rotation. You don't rank 8th amongst ice time as a forward and somehow be considered a top 6.

It does matter greatly what position he plays, especially since the center position is so crucial to a team's success. You don't draft a kid to be an elite center, one you haven't had for two decades so he can play wing. Basically, all the players I listed that got drafted as centers and have played center from day one with 17,18+ mins to start didn't show negative consequence to their development. I don't recall Chicago drafting Toews and putting him at wing for 80 consecutive games. Nope. Right away at center. He needs to move to center and play more minutes. We know what DD and Eller's ceiling is, there is no downside to moving one to wing or trading (preferably DD) for help in another area.

Staal, Stamkos, and Seguin (and that's just from the ones you listed) I remember for a fact didn't get much if any time at center for a while in their early careers. Also, with the the exceptions of Toews and Crosby, everyone you listed did spend some time on the wing early on before becoming full time centers. Also, Landeskog is not even a center.

As for your Chucky/Gally comment, sure they have pretty much the same amount of experience but they are two different types of player altogether. As much as I would like the see him permanently next to Plekanec, a move to center would bring on responsibilities he has showed not be ready for. (As for some PP time I agree however)

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
He should be at center period. Montreal has a habit of putting young guys in uncomfortable situations. He is a stud, needs to play center, needs power play time and needs to be put in key situations. I am a big fan but they are not winning the Cup this year, play him and get him ready for the next couple of years. Same thing should go for Beaulieu and possibly Tinordi.

HabFanInLeafLand

Jan 28, 2014
ON
I don't see a problem with allowing him to mature mentally and physically before throwing him in the middle. Wing is much easier to play than center.

I wish he spent last year with the Sting, but whether that would have been beneficial for him or not is just speculation.

In a few years I don't think it's unrealistic to expect him to be an 80+ point player and #1 center, especially if he is surrounded by some strong offensive talent.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
He should be at center period. Montreal has a habit of putting young guys in uncomfortable situations. He is a stud, needs to play center, needs power play time and needs to be put in key situations. I am a big fan but they are not winning the Cup this year, play him and get him ready for the next couple of years. Same thing should go for Beaulieu and possibly Tinordi.

So you make that statement and then turn right around and want Chucky to go through "Trial by Fire" right off the bat. If you are going to complain about something the organization does don't go and suggest continuing the practice within the same post.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Staal, Stamkos, and Seguin (and that's just from the ones you listed) I remember for a fact didn't get much if any time at center for a while in their early careers. Also, with the the exceptions of Toews and Crosby, everyone you listed did spend some time on the wing early on before becoming full time centers. Also, Landeskog is not even a center.

As for your Chucky/Gally comment, sure they have pretty much the same amount of experience but they are two different types of player altogether. As much as I would like the see him permanently next to Plekanec, a move to center would bring on responsibilities he has showed not be ready for. (As for some PP time I agree however)

My original post was players being #1 or #2 centers or wingers within their first two years. But of who you mention, Staal had 669 faceoffs his first season 4th most behind the likes of Brind'Amour/Francis, players almost like we kind of have... but he still played some center that year. His 2nd year he had 1309 faceoffs, which albeit was after a lockout he was 2nd line center behind Brind'Amour. So Staal did in fact play center his first two seasons.

Stamkos 557 faceoffs his first season, third on Tbay. 2nd season 1004 faceoffs for 2nd most on Tbay. Again, he did play center in his first two seasons and he like Staal in year 2 reached top 6 center status.

Seguin you are correct did mostly play on the wing, but at least by year 2 he ranked 5th amongst Bruins' forwards in ice time. Top 6. But he's also played more center this year than any other and he's ppg.

I didn't say Landeskog got drafted as center. Fact is though, he like the others all basically moved into top 6 whether be it wing or center within two years. Chucky is at 100 NHL games almost and playing 14mins a night. No where near enough. Especially when top 6 ice time is going to I'll be honest, lesser players. He is the exception among his peers drafted that high in the last 10 years.

To your point of him not being ready for D responsibilities I say that he's no more or less ready than any of the centers I listed who began playing heavy minutes at center right away. But the Habs' have the luxury of sheltering him with Plekanec/Eller, two excellent defensive centers. And so what if he makes mistakes? So what if he gets burned? He'll learn. He's not going to learn how to play center from the wing. Are we afraid of another 1st round exit or missing the playoffs if he plays more? That's the reality with the status quo anyway.

hogtownhabsfan*

We need Chucky to be an offensive threat. This year has without a doubt been a disappointment thus far, he's improved defensively to where he's no longer a liability in that department, but he seems to be always just a split behind where he needs to be to make something happen offensively.

Hopefully yesterdays SO goal can get him going like DDs got him going. We're a different team if we can have 2 dangerous offensive lines....

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
We need Chucky to be an offensive threat. This year has without a doubt been a disappointment thus far, he's improved defensively to where he's no longer a liability in that department, but he seems to be always just a split behind where he needs to be to make something happen offensively.

Hopefully yesterdays SO goal can get him going like DDs got him going. We're a different team if we can have 2 dangerous offensive lines....

He needs the puck on his stick. When its there, no telling what can happen. That's why he is a natural center. He makes the players around him better when he is able to carry the puck and control the play.

We saw that beautiful saucer pass from down low to the point last night. Tape to tape to Bouillon, who had a clear shooting lane and could've scored. Combine that passing and vision with his size, magic hands, and shot and he is a double threat.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008

I have to disagree with this. For the minutes hes been recieving, he's been playing great for a 20 year old on the habs franchise. Probably the most complete player right now in his draft year. Therrien is confident playing the kid in crucial situations and has developed and continues too improve a strong 2 way acumen. Although even though hes got great hands, positioning, and isn't scared to plant himself in front of the net, its very obvious that he needs to work on his skating/lower body which will come with time. We've all seen the riberos komisareks higgins chipchuras, what really shocks me about Galchenyuk is his maturity and commitment to the game and winning. I don't remember a youth with this much poise and composure as an individual. I loved the interview he had after the last game.

Can't be happier with Galchenyuk. Hes going to be a star and is even showing that he's C material.

hogtownhabsfan*

My expectations are coming down a bit. Right now he's looking like a bigger/slower Pleckanec. Very good player, but not exactly what you want 3rd overall.

Not criticizing the pick, just unfortunately it was a weak draft....

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
What I like with him is how he can make plays at top top speed... He hasn't been playing much, but yesterday, there was a strech on the pp where he was buzzing in the bruins zone and they just couldn't stop him. Like another poster said, he's a puck possession player, he needs it on his stick and then he can work his magic. I have no doubt at all about him, I wouldn't be surprised if this year's playoffs were his coming out party. He was very good vs Ottawa as a rookie last year, I think he takes off vs Tampa in the first round and never looks back.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
My expectations are coming down a bit. Right now he's looking like a bigger/slower Pleckanec. Very good player, but not exactly what you want 3rd overall.

Still very young and showing some great things, he ain't going to be perfect but with more and more ice time that's how he will break out.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

I totally disagree with you... Had he been picked by another team, he'd been playing center for a year now with the two best wingers available. But the habs are a playoff team and they brought him in slowly. I still think he's the best player in the draft, I would absolutely love to see him play with Vanek, they both think the game at a really high level. Sure, Chucky's acceleration isn't great right now, but he's far from slow, his top speed is actually very good and he can make plays at top speed no other player on this team can. He may never become a 100 point player, granted, but I think he's a future perennial 75-85 point player that makes other players around him better.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

If he becomes as reliable as Plekanec but can produce a bit more (80pts/season regularly), it will be a great pick.

hogtownhabsfan*

As I said, hopefully his SO goal does for him what DDs did for DD, and that he can break out over these last 10 games and the playoffs. We might just need to temper expectations a bit. the Malkin comparisons are long gone at least...

hogtownhabsfan*

Fire Therrien already. Galchenyuk needs to play center with Pacioretty and Vanek.

Come on man, he's not ready. And you want to fire the coach when we're 3rd in the conference! :laugh:

I guarentee you Pacioretty and Vanek would be pissed if they were moved from DD to Gal.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
As I said, hopefully his SO goal does for him what DDs did for DD, and that he can break out over these last 10 games and the playoffs. We might just need to temper expectations a bit. the Malkin comparisons are long gone at least...

You mean you hope Therrien gives him the best wingers and all the PP minutes because he scored a shootout goal? Not going to happen.

And if you actually were expecting a Malkin, then of course you're disappointed.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

A bit premature to say the least. He's way too young to draw those kinds of conclusions yet.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
I think he's being handled similarly to Ryan Johansen. Look at Johansen now.

Galchenyuk just turned 20 years old. He still has enormous potential. 20 years old? He can still become anything he wants. He has years to work on weaknesses.

This off-season he will get better and next year hopefully he can start playing C full-time. He'll still be a 20 year old C when next year starts. Guys, that is extremely rare.

CP31

Jun 19, 2012
Welland, ON
I forgot points are everything my bad...

He's been very good this year considering his ****** linemates and limited icetime. He's been creating he's just gotten a little unlucky this year.

He's also freaking 20. Where was PK at 20?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Hold your horses guys. This young man has everything needed to be a first-line point-per-game centre. Tyler Seguin was brought alone slowly on the wing and now he is a very solid defensive player. Obviously the coaching is better in Boston when it comes to paying attention to the details, but he is on the right path. He is going to be a powerplay dominator for years to come.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
What I like with him is how he can make plays at top top speed... He hasn't been playing much, but yesterday, there was a strech on the pp where he was buzzing in the bruins zone and they just couldn't stop him. Like another poster said, he's a puck possession player, he needs it on his stick and then he can work his magic. I have no doubt at all about him, I wouldn't be surprised if this year's playoffs were his coming out party. He was very good vs Ottawa as a rookie last year, I think he takes off vs Tampa in the first round and never looks back.

He's not a puck possession player. Well, not yet. Right now he's struggling at protecting it...

My opinion is pretty close to hogtownhabsfan's one. I think we have to forget about the 80pts 1st center we expecting out of him. A good top6 forward (W/C) is much more realistic IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad