Alex Galchenyuk

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
I just noticed that Alex Galchenyuk is having a bit of a sophomore slump this year.

I am wondering what you guys think is his top end talent?

#1 C? #2 C?

60 Point Guy? 80 Point guy?

Thanks,

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
No doubt in my mind, he is going to become our first center. Probably going to be a 1 PPG guy. Just give him a little bit of time.

He already has good statistics considering his limited time on the ice.

Last edited:

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
is this real life? Sophomore slump? the guy is our 3rd best scoring forward at 19 years of age, all while playing roughly 15 minutes per game. He will be our 1st line center, PG player before long.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
He was doing very well at the beggining of the season but is now playing 10 minutes per game. He's doing great for someone who's getting 3rd line minutes.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The bottom end of his upside is that of an above average #1 center, but it's reasonable to believe he'll become a franchise center. He loves having the puck on his stick and seems to prefer to set up his linemates than to shoot the puck. He's able to find passing lanes and thread passes that most players simply cannot. He's at his best when playing with a finisher who knows how to find open space, like Brendan Gallagher. He also a heavy shot that should be used more often, but he needs to work on his release which could be a lot quicker.

What separates him from a center like Seguin or Nuge is his huge frame and his physical edge. He loves dishing hits and is strong on the puck. As well as being a great playmaker, he tends to play a power forward type game. He loves working along the boards and infront of the net. One of his problems is he doesn't seem to realize how physically strong he is yet as he too often relies on his stick work rather than his body in puck battles. This leads to him losing puck battles or getting offensive zone stick penalties. He's going to continue to get physically stronger and heavier and should top out at 6'1 215lbs in a couple of years.

He definitely needs to work on his defensive zone positioning as he often looks out of place or confused in his own zone. He also rushes the play when he gets the puck in his own zone which can lead to costly turnovers. Another problem is he tends to over think or over control the puck when entering the offensive zone which can lead to costly turnovers at the blue line. However, he is able to gain the zone without dumping the puck which is very promising because he, Eller, and Pacioretty are about the only forwards able to do this.

I disagree with your belief that he's having a sophomore slump. He producing at a respectable pace despite playing 3rd line minutes and on the 2nd / 3rd powerplay unit. I thought he'd have a break out season this year based on his performance early in the season. His line would lead the team in scoring chances every game and was being matched by opposing teams' top D pairings. But his line was broken up shortly after and his minutes reduced in favor of lesser veterans.

For an idea of how well Alex can thread the needle and make tape to tape passes that lead to prime scoring chances:

Game 2 of the playoff series vs Ottawa:

Game versus the Wild. His line was being matched by one of the best D pairings in the league in Brodin-Suter. He easily gets by Brodin, then saucers the puck over a sliding Suter for Gallagher:

I hope this gives you an idea of who Alex Galchenyuk is, and why the kid was chosen 3rd overall after missing his entire draft season.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I don't think he is going through a sophomore slump, I think he is merely not being played enough and still developing his NHL game. A player like Yakupov is going through a sophomore slump, but Galchenyuk has been good considering he gets 3rd line minutes.

Halifaxhab*

I just noticed that Alex Galchenyuk is having a bit of a sophomore slump this year.

#1 C? #2 C?

Thanks,

Think of Toews. That's what he is building to.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't see some high end individual skill as I see with other players we like to compare him to. I think he's a hard working player with a good IQ and a good set of skills but not elite hands or anything like that.

I see him as a 70-80 point center on average, not a PPG+ player. That being said, I'm still very happy about that.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I don't see some high end individual skill as I see with other players we like to compare him to. I think he's a hard working player with a good IQ and a good set of skills but not elite hands or anything like that.

I see him as a 70-80 point center on average, not a PPG+ player. That being said, I'm still very happy about that.

80 points would have put him at #9 among centers in 2009-10, #3 in 2010-11, and #8 in 2011-12, seems like "high end individual skill" to me.

That being said, odds are good that Galchenyuk gets played as a 3rd line winger for the next 3 seasons.

HarlemsFinest

teh gallys!!1
Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
www.montrealracing.com
we've seen a few sniped wristers but man i'm waiting for the day when he can translate that toe-drag to the NHL. i don't find this year slumpy at all. he had a good first season but also had a quieter period at one point. this year seems similar and he's still getting the points and progressings slow and steady. if a sophomore slump can be defined as not regressing and pretty much being the same as rookie year, then fine. i'll take that. but i think he's on course to be what we all know he can.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
80 points would have put him at #9 among centers in 2009-10, #3 in 2010-11, and #8 in 2011-12, seems like "high end individual skill" to me.

That being said, odds are good that Galchenyuk gets played as a 3rd line winger for the next 3 seasons.

In the voice of the melting witch in Wizard of Oz: Nooooooooooo, I have been waiting for a franchise player, let alone a hyper skilled large center, for 20 years.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Then I shouldn't have said average. End of the day I was kind of disputing claims that he has "PPG+ production in the future" as we both know(I've seen the numbers as well) it's a fairly difficult task.

65-70 would perhaps be more appropriate? Just numbers but the notion remains. Don't expect 80-90+ from the kid, it's just too hard to do and he doesn't have Malkin esque skills.

Fair assessment?

In the voice of the melting witch in Wizard of Oz: Nooooooooooo, I have been waiting for a franchise player, let alone a hyper skilled large center, for 20 years.

Galchenyuk isn't that big. He's 6'1. More of a slightly above average center height wise than large IMO.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd like to see Galchenyuk put on the right side with Pacioretty and Desharnais. From what I remember Galchenyuk played RW in Sarnia and he looks more comfortable coming down that side. Gallagher has slowed down a lot from the start of the year and I'd much rather see Galchenyuk getting first PP minutes over him.

Obviously I'd like to see Galchenyuk at centre but right now I'd rather just see him get more ice time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I've compared him to Kopitar before. I see a similar trajectory for him. 70ish points a season, strong two-way player (with time). Elite? No. But very good.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

#1 C? #2 C?

Thanks,

The same way Pacioretty and Desharnais when there not together...they SLUMP...

Now Gallagher and Galchenyuk TOGETHER, Works.....yet Habs content to keep both Gally's apart ,so Brendan Gallagher can do the dirty work in front of net for the Pacioretty and Desharnais line.

The Habs SHOULD WAKE UP,and go get a big skilled body like Eric Cole to play with Pacioretty and Desharnais again.

Then reunite Gallagher and Galchenyuk line BACK TOGETHER!!!

But instead it seems there content ,or being willingly dense to figure this out .Now they got Galchenyuk playing 10 mins a night and people believing in a sophomore slump crap....put them back together.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
"Chuckie dump puck in, youre a ****in grinder, accept it, play like it.. your on fourth line tonight."
"But Michel, my hand is broken, I'm out for 6 weeks"
"No excuses."

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Then I shouldn't have said average. End of the day I was kind of disputing claims that he has "PPG+ production in the future" as we both know(I've seen the numbers as well) it's a fairly difficult task.

65-70 would perhaps be more appropriate? Just numbers but the notion remains. Don't expect 80-90+ from the kid, it's just too hard to do and he doesn't have Malkin esque skills.

Fair assessment?

Yup, though I see him as a 70-80 point guy; that being said, my assessment has him playing as a #1 center, and not a 3rd line grinder wing.

Honestly, I just don't think Galchenyuk is a part of the Canadiens' long-term plans, given his usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad