Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk: Time to loosen the restraints?

What should be done with Alex?

• Play him at Centre, let him do his thing

Votes: 121 73.8%
  • Trade him now for whatever

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Stay the course

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Who cares? He's a bust

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yeah it's not like we gave 5 years to Alzner, 5 years to Drouin (within 30 minutes of his acquisition) and 6 years to Shaw. You see no issue with giving Chucky a 3 year contract that has him reaching UFA by 26? The language used publicly and his overall treatment reflect clearly that he isn't in the current management's long term plans...

I don't think this is normal stance for an organization, especially when talking about a homegrown player that we selected 3rd overall and has the 2nd most points on the team since he was drafted...

Who said they didn't try and sign him for 6 years? Who said it's the Habs that insisted on 3 years?

This whole Chucky is a poor victim thing is ridiculous.

Reactions: HBDay

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Who said they didn't try and sign him for 6 years? Who said it's the Habs that insisted on 3 years?

The track record they have is what leads me to believe in this theory , obviously I can't prove anything but why do you automatically give management the benefit of the doubt?
Especially when knowing their history of bad asset management.
It's not about Chucky being a victim , it's about scrutinizing our organization for not doing the right thing , most of the time.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The track record they have is what leads me to believe in this theory , obviously I can't prove anything but why do you automatically give management the benefit of the doubt?
Especially when knowing their history of bad asset management.
It's not about Chucky being a victim , it's about scrutinizing our organization for not doing the right thing , most of the time.

And what are those examples?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
And what are those examples?

Overcomitting to mediocre ressources such as Shaw/Alzner.
Deciding to acquire an older/slower defenseman in the age of speed and youth.
Trading away a skilled LD for a winger when defenceman are known to have more value in this league (see Jones and Larsson trades).
Signing the likes of Hemsky and Streit , while praising them as fully capable to fill roles on our team.
When is the last time one of our trades was a homerun?
Why are the few players that have left here doing better in their new environments?
Why are so many players throwing shade at Habs management (or lack there of)?

The real question here is why the onus is always on me to prove my point to no end? While you can make statements without ever having to provide any real evidence. (what usually happens is that you stop responding or quoting me).

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Trading away a skilled LD for a winger when defenceman are known to have more value in this league (see Jones and Larsson trades).
Signing the likes of Hemsky and Streit , while praising them as fully capable to fill roles on our team.
Why are the few players that have left here doing better in their new environments?

The real question here is why the onus is always on me to prove my point to no end? While you can make statements without ever having to provide any real evidence. (what usually happens is that you stop responding or quoting me).

Your post is bs.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Your post is bs.

A82E19C2-C953-4947-9D69-B887DDB52288.jpeg

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Your whole 'chucky isn't' is ridiculous. Do you think that eller quote means nothing? Now look at our former number 1C who was PLAYED ON 4th LW When did DD EVER play on the 4th.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
In 2012-2013, the EGG line only played together for 3 games. It was mostly a Galchenyuk-Eller duo that year and they certainly were productive and had chemistry

Here are there linemate that season
8 games with Prust
5 games with Armstrong
4 games with Ryder
4 games with Dumont
3 games with Bourque
3 games with Gallagher
2 games with Cole
1 game with Gionta

Now after that season as a duo they didn't have a lot of success without Gallagher. But I think it had less to do with chemistry and more to do with them being frustrated with their roles and not playing well as a result.

That said Eller was always best when he had a shoot from anywhere winger. So he meshed really well with Gallagher and Gionta for example. But the conspiracy theory about Eller intentionally trying to make Galchenyuk look bad is just nonsensical.
Which just so happens to mirror his recent comments.

Reactions: groovejuice

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

I'm not playing sides here but would like to chime in.

I'll break down your questions and bold them then offer my opinion:

Correct, Alzner being the bigger mistake of course. I find it hard to believe that anyone could have valued him as much as our general manager did. It should have been easy to see that he is not going to be better than what he was and his contract and length combined with the trend of offensive puck moving defenseman becoming the norm, this should'nt have happened. This is a big miss by management and the mistake should be admitted and he should be waived. Shaw was an over commitment indeed but to a lesser extent, I do think there is a place for him on this team however the injuries, the amount of money on the contract and his thought that he is an 'old dog' hurt this. Shaw is actually capable of emotional hockey and he can play the game too when he is not distracted.

There is not much I can comment on here. Shea is a good defenseman and a defenseman I want on this team. Just not for what it cost us.

This one needs to marinate a little bit longer at least half a season longer or preferably at least until we are contenders again (Drouin is young enough to still be playing) and Sergachev is playing on less of a powerhouse team. I didn't hate this trade on paper or when it happened. I was hyped for Drouin, I wanted scoring and he was meant to be the guy. I sincerely thought he could have been a 60 point guy. But again I think Drouin still has more to show. Time is what is required to further analyze this trade. I should mention though that Jones and Larsson were kind of already bonafide NHLers when traded. Sergachev was not. Also the Larsson trade is easily a way worse trade then our Sergachev trade by a landslide margin - Hall is literally man on fire while Larsson is literally mister 4 goals 9 assists.

Bad, bad, bad. I don't hate the one million dollar reclamation project in concept though - player turns out, good helps the team if we don't make the playoffs trade him at deadline for picks. Player doesn't work out well .... meh.

When you trade in the style that Bergevin does it's not going to happen very often. I.E. low risk trades and super high risk trades. The only two he does.

I've responded to you on this before as it's simply not true. Sekac? no. Pelly? no. Ghetto? no. Fleischman? no. Eller? no. He is doing just as well as when he left but not better, if he is doing better it's rather marginal. Radulov? yes. But he is a star player and it was really evident that when put with better players he would be better. Plekanecs? no. Pateryn? no. Weise? no Desharnais? no.

It's just simply not true that the players that leave do better. Some do yes but that's expected anywhere on any team. It's going to happen, it's also not going to happen.

Because management completely failed on everything they promised. Where is my team built through the draft. Where is my team identity? Where are my star players ( playing for Nashville and Dallas and some team in Russia)

Have a great night.

Reactions: King In Glory

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll tell you what isn't BS. The fact that Bergevin always rams bridge deals down the throats of his best players rather than lock them up for their prime years until he has no other choice. He jerked Subban around by making him take a bridge deal, finally signed him to a big contract and then traded him right before the big contract was due to kick in. He's done the same with Galchenyuk. Bergevin will grind players like that but will then turn around, pull his purple pants down and bend over for the likes of Desharnais, who not one other NHL team would have taken for free, let alone pay for him.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I'll tell you what isn't BS. The fact that Bergevin always rams bridge deals down the throats of his best players rather than lock them up for their prime years until he has no other choice. He jerked Subban around by making him take a bridge deal, finally signed him to a big contract and then traded him right before the big contract was due to kick in. He's done the same with Galchenyuk. Bergevin will grind players like that but will then turn around, pull his purple pants down and bend over for the likes of Desharnais, who not one other NHL team would have taken for free, let alone pay for him.
It depends on 2 things with MB, is the player French, or does he like the player.

If you aint French you better hope he likes you.

Reactions: Laurentide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad