Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk: Time to loosen the restraints?

What should be done with Alex?

• Play him at Centre, let him do his thing

Votes: 121 73.8%
  • Trade him now for whatever

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Stay the course

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Who cares? He's a bust

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Galchenyuk made some really important strides last year, IMO. He was far more aggressive and hard on pucks. The Habs under Therrien and Julien want to pressure the puck. That's not been part of his game as a centre or winger but finally I started to see the hustle that I think they need to see from him. Like it or not, the Habs want all their players to pressure, pressure, pressure. It's how the system works. If everyone doesn't do it, the system falls apart. So he started doing that. That's good.

The other thing I saw was he finally started learning how to use the middle of the ice as a winger. A lot of natural centres struggle when they move to the wing because they feel like they're stuck in a track. Galchenyuk is not like Pacioretty, Gallagher, Danault. These are North-South players. Galchenyuk is more like Drouin, an East-West guy. He needs to be able to move laterally and use the middle of the ice. That's where he's most dangerous. It's also what makes him a natural centre. But on the wing, I finally started seeing him step into the middle of the ice either with the puck, or to support the rush. This was a huge step and I think it will allow him to be more of a dynamic player, like the one we saw playing centre.

Now, why isn't he just playing centre? It's simple - his play in his own zone. Although he's hard on pucks in the offensive zone, he's not hard enough, not aggressive enough in the D zone. He needs to anticipate plays and breakdowns better and jump into the spots he needs to be to help start the rush. He was not doing enough in his own zone to break up plays and start the rush. He was waiting for passes. They want their centres to be puck hounds, and Galchenyuk is not that. As long as he plays that way, he won't be a centre for this team.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Well, Alzner did struggle with the system. Bergeron mentioned that many times. I wouldn't have signed him for many reasons, his speed being close to the top of the list.

But I'll say this about Alzner, he reads the play well and often gets where he needs to be in the offensive zone despite his skating. Habs system requires the weak side d man pinch all the way down to the hash marks or lower if the puck goes to that side. I saw many times when alzner was able to read the play and get to that puck first.

But I wasn't talking about AG's speed - I think he's plenty fast enough to play this system - it's his hustle. They want all their forwards to be unrelenting on the puck. Speed helps close those gaps but the real trick is reading the play and keeping the feet moving. Alex has the skills, he just needs to change his mindset, which he's done in the o zone, just not in the d zone

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Time for a fresh start:

Trade Pacioretty ++ for O'Reilly.
Draft BPA (most likely Zadina)

Drouin - O'Reilly - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
Hudon - Danault - Zadina
Byron - DLR - Shaw/Deslauriers

Mete - Weber
Reilly (ideally somebody better would slot in here) - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Schlemko

Price
Niemi

Could be a playoff team or potentially another bottom 3 team depending on which team shows up...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Time for a fresh start:

Trade Pacioretty ++ for O'Reilly.
Draft BPA (most likely Zadina)

Drouin - O'Reilly - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
Hudon - Danault - Zadina
Byron - DLR - Shaw/Deslauriers

Mete - Weber
Reilly (ideally somebody better would slot in here) - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Schlemko

Price
Niemi

Result:

Finishes behind:
Tampa Bay
Boston
Toronto
Florida
Buffalo

In our own division. Fights with Ottawa and Detroit for worst in the Atlantic.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see anything wrong with that , young players get experience , Habs get another top pick , Bergevin most likely gets fired. Win/Win/Win?

I see an issue with wasting the futures that are likely going to be involved to grab O'Reilly when it doesn't move the needle.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I see an issue with wasting the futures that are likely going to be involved to grab O'Reilly when it doesn't move the needle.

He would be 28 as of 2019-2020 , don't see what's wrong with having a veteran C who still has gaz in the tank for when the kids are ready?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with that , young players get experience , Habs get another top pick , Bergevin most likely gets fired. Win/Win/Win?

What's the +++ that somehow convinces Buffalo to do that trade though? Because apparently its not a roster player and its not Montreal's 1st.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
What's the +++ that somehow convinces Buffalo to do that trade though? Because apparently its not a roster player and its not Montreal's 1st.

I think we can get away with Pacioretty + goalie prospect (Mcniven perhaps?) and pick.
Convincing Pacioretty to play on Eichel's wing for the foreseeable future shouldn't be that hard...(in terms of re-signing potential)

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I think we can get away with Pacioretty + goalie prospect (Mcniven perhaps?) and pick.
Convincing Pacioretty to play on Eichel's wing for the foreseeable future shouldn't be that hard...(in terms of re-signing potential)

I'm more skeptical, although I'd love to see it happen. I don't think McNiven has a ton of value, and unless the pick is Montreal's 2019 1st, I don't see why Buffalo makes the trade. They're losing control, age and general value and getting an undrafted, decent but not high end goalie prospect and meh pick.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Deep draft for high end centers next year? Nah, let's try to make the playoffs only to get smoked by Tampa/Boston in the 1st round.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm more skeptical, although I'd love to see it happen. I don't think McNiven has a ton of value, and unless the pick is Montreal's 2019 1st, I don't see why Buffalo makes the trade. They're losing control, age and general value and getting an undrafted, decent but not high end goalie prospect and meh pick.
Sabres have their own goaltending prospects...

McNiven has little to no value to them or most NHL teams.

Unproven goaltenders just don't offer much value. Every team has them

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Deep draft for high end centers next year? Nah, let's try to make the playoffs only to get smoked by Tampa/Boston in the 1st round.

You really think Bergevin can turn the team around? I'm just hoping for no more long term damage (don't screw up the draft, no more bad hockey trades, don't yet again sign the worst UFA contract).

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You really think Bergevin can turn the team around? I'm just hoping for no more long term damage (don't screw up the draft, no more bad hockey trades, don't yet again sign the worst UFA contract).
Absolutely not. I want us to be right at the bottom of the league so we can actually get a high end center for the first time in how long now? Bergevin is gone next year unless a miracle happens.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I would have voted for Play him at Centre, let him do his thing but that ship has sailed. Just trade him for whatever you can get. Blame who ever you want but it's damaged goods now. I'm sure he can salvage his career somewhere else (hopefully for him).

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Absolutely not. I want us to be right at the bottom of the league so we can actually get a high end center for the first time in how long now? Bergevin is gone next year unless a miracle happens.

I doubt Montreal is at the bottom of the league again unless the injury bug hits again and Price's decline is less a blip and more permanent (I'm skeptical either is likely).

They're almost definitely not a play-off team, but probably not a bottom-5 team again.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I doubt Montreal is at the bottom of the league again unless the injury bug hits again and Price's decline is less a blip and more permanent (I'm skeptical either is likely).

They're almost definitely not a play-off team, but probably not a bottom-5 team again.
They were near the bottom of the league before the injury bug as well

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
They were near the bottom of the league before the injury bug as well

Right, but a lot of that is because Price was brutal and they had an unsustainably low shooting %. If Price sucks next year, Montreal is probably in the bottom 5 again and are screwed long term unless there are compliance buyouts. The shooting % thing is just part of the ebbs and flows of the game.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Right, but a lot of that is because Price was brutal and they had an unsustainably low shooting %. If Price sucks next year, Montreal is probably in the bottom 5 again and are screwed long term unless there are compliance buyouts. The shooting % thing is just part of the ebbs and flows of the game.
Price sucked but he had 2 top 4 dmen (1 for the majority of the year because of the Weber injury) all year.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Price sucked but he had 2 top 4 dmen (1 for the majority of the year because of the Weber injury) all year.

Right. Which teams can get away with. Vegas in the 1st month played 4 different goalies and had two top-4 D-men (Theodore didn't start with the team and took time to play bigger minutes).

I think Price bounces back, but I also think that means that Montreal doesn't finish really low in the standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->