Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
he looked nervous and shell shocked more than anything. It's his first game in the NHL as an 18 year old, I'd like to see a couple more games before I throw him under the bus

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Some of you guys are trying to play forensics with dog **** here. Most of the team looked lost & had no rhythm. I'd like to see how Gally plays with Pleks once he actually gets going before even entertaining the idea of lost causes.

Sheesh.

Calm down bro. No one is talking about lost causes.

Some of us are looking at what is best for our franchise's future and Alex's development above all though.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
I'm talking about people saying keeping him this year is a lost cause.

Sheesh.

The team is a lost cause this year. Galchenyuk is most probably too young to have any kind of success at this level, especially considering he's not the greatest skater, and the longer we keep him in the minors, the better he will be in the future. (and of course the longer it will take before he finishes is entry level contract, and becomes a free agent)

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Calm down bro. No one is talking about lost causes.

Some of us are looking at what is best for our franchise's future and Alex's development above all though.

If it's just a question of what's better for his development, it's an interesting debate.

Let's say its 12-13 minutes a night on the 3rd line of a bad team for 40 games vs big minutes for 20 games in Sarnia.

I'm pretty conflicted on what would be better, I'd lean Montreal but I suppose it depends either how much you value the financial/contractual impact or whether or not you think he's capable of being a top 9 player in the NHL right now and developing on the job.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
His development is not in the O where his season will end in early March. Habs should try him out on some shifts at center.

The Sting will start their playoffs late march, while the Habs will play their last game april 27th. So the Sting might finish their season later than the Habs.

We would really just waste his talent and kill his confidence by keeping him here.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
If it's just a question of what's better for his development, it's an interesting debate.

Let's say its 12-13 minutes a night on the 3rd line of a bad team for 40 games vs big minutes for 20 games in Sarnia.

I'm pretty conflicted on what would be better, I'd lean Montreal but I suppose it depends either how much you value the financial/contractual impact or whether or not you think he's capable of being a top 9 player in the NHL right now and developing on the job.

History has proven again and again that players become better the longer they stay in the minors.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
His development is not in the O where his season will end in early March.

Their regular season ends March 16th. If they get to round 2, which is possible if Galchenyuk is there, that probably means he's playing until early or mid April.

You can then send him to the AHL since their season ends on April 21st - or even bring him back to be around the team since the NHL season ends April 27th. They have options if they send him back and the Sting are out in round 1.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
History has proven again and again that players become better the longer they stay in the minors.

History has also proven that prospects develop differently and there's no hard and fast rules. Each player must be looked at on a case by case basis. Not saying he should stay. Also, the fact there's only 20 games left in Sarnia and their odds for a sustained playoff run aren't great is a bit of a factor that you normally don't come across with a prospect.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

He could play 70 minutes per game in Sarnia, it won't help 'cause he is way better than most of them. Most of his plays will die down in Sarnia 'cause he will have to be at his teamates's rhythm instead at an NHL one. Going back there will not help. But if it's to play him in the wings in the NHL, might as well do it. 'Cause that won't help either. He is a centerman. Must and should be used like that. For his development, he should be centering a 4th line even if his wingers are grinders. 'Cause a grinding 4th NHL'ers is 10 times better than a pair of 2nd OHL Sarnians wingers. And he'll end up playing his position. A position he will be great at for the next 15 years to come.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Their regular season ends March 16th. If they get to round 2, which is possible if Galchenyuk is there, that probably means he's playing until early or mid April.

You can then send him to the AHL since their season ends on April 21st - or even bring him back to be around the team since the NHL season ends April 27th. They have options if they send him back and the Sting are out in round 1.

Forget it....didn't read your statement correctly.

HabsPassion

Jun 29, 2012
Montreal
All I will say is... Whyyy Therrien..

Send him down now please. The kid comes in, his first game in front of a huge crowd, and in front of his Dad, Sister and Brother (Who were the last ones to leave in their section and their frowns were worth a million words). The kid was most likely nervous, even coming out an hour before game with a puck and dribbling on the ice, and you drop him off the powerplay and to the third line? Is it your intention to act as if the lack of production and execution was because of him? Then you put him on in the last minute? Come on Therrien, you are better then that, I know you are!

As for Gally, I found for a first game he played well. He needs to play stronger along the boards, in which he lost many battles for the puck(Which is usually what happens when you are not used to playing along the boards) but his speed, shot and execution seemed on par with his teammates.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I guess we'll see what happens. I really hope that Bourque doesn't stay on that line for the whole 5 game tryout though. Nothing against Bourque, he played a good game tonight, but I think it's pretty obvious that Galchenyuk's role on this team this year is top 6 or bust, and we need to give him top 6 opportunities with Plekanec.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
The whole team played like crap and we are criticizing a 18 year old?

This is the least painful year to tank so Gally should be sent down to Sarnia after 5 games. Period.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If tonight was a litmus test to see which players can help an NHL team win now, then Pacioretty, Plekanec, Cole, Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Grabovski etc. - aren't ready to help an NHL team win.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Just let him play. We're not winning anything this season. Let the young guys play and learn. No point in going back to Sarnia. Better coaches. Better strength and conditioning.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Let's just wait until the team appears to be semi-functional, which is hopefully within the next 4 games, before passing judgement.

Now, now, I'm not saying to wait till he looks good and then make a judgement, but the Habs tonight will not look like this all season (as much as some would like to believe they will). When almost everyone is atrocious, it's hard to make any sort of judgement.

The Habs weren't able to create anything offensively. They're not going to look so inept all the time.

vipergtx18*

way too many wanabee/self proclaimed coaches and GMs on this site. Give your head a shake and pull it out of you know where!!!!!!! game 1 of the season, obviously there will be some rust.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Galenchyuk played poorly in his first 4 games back with Sarnia this year, and the nervous nellies were out in full force.

Rational fans should put the pop corn in the microwave if Grigorenko scores a goal for the Sabres in his first game before checking back on this thread.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
He played okay in his first game as an 18 year old, nothing to whine about. I'd like to see what happens in the next four games, what's there to lose? If he isn't ready, he will be sent down. And if he isn't, he will be developed into the solid center we all know he will be.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
His line barely touched the puck... Plekanec might have lost all his one on one battles in the offensive zone, plus didn't feed his wingers once, tough to look good in that environment.

I doubt he's ready to give us 25-30 pts anyway, 4 games to go.

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
All the forwards looked rusty so you can't single out an 18 year old in his first NHL game. Would like to see him center the fourth line and try Gallagher on Plekanec's wing, as its his natural position and should help to stop the floater tendencies he's learning in Sarnia(like alot of high-end picks). Aside from TOI I don't think he has anything more to learn in the OHL, he dominates there not playing his natural position. Ideally Hamilton is where he should be to adjust to greater speed and size of opponents but that won't be an option until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad