Alex Galchenyuk Part IV - Will he ever be Chucktastic/Michael Busto Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It was a joke...

And everyone in this thread is corroborating my observations: lack of footspeed, inconsistent, doesn't make the right decisions, etc.

You should really try to understand what I'm trying to say: his development hasn't been as steep or fast as I would like. From year2 to year3 he hasn't changed all that much.

All the tools but the toolbox doesn't seem fully built. The whole situation reminds me of another highly-touted winger we've drafted in recent memory but Galchenyuk is clearly better and more professional.

I totally get this.
He is a product of our system and as such needs to live up to the hype we created.
I'm convinced he should have played C in Hamilton for a year or even two.
Many are frustrated that he hasn't been able to force DD into a lesser role.
Granted MT bears some of that blame but honestly has AG really forced anyone's hand.
He lacks conviction in his play yet...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If he can find some more consistency (such as not disappearing for a month: March) he would already be a 55-60 point player this season. But inconsistency for a 21 year old doesn't bother me.

If he continued to show inconsistency and lack of finish (the guy must lead the league in crossbars and posts) and continued to put up 45-50 point seasons over the next 2 seasons then yes he is a bust.

DD51*

I totally get this.
He is a product of our system and as such needs to live up to the hype we created.
I'm convinced he should have played C in Hamilton for a year or even two.
Many are frustrated that he hasn't been able to force DD into a lesser role.
Granted MT bears some of that blame but honestly has AG really forced anyone's hand.
He lacks conviction in his play yet...

Galchy lacks drive. Hopefully, with Patches out for possibly the next two remaining games, he's gonna show us some life.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Galchenyuk OR Stone?

Galchenyuk OR Monahan?

Galchenyuk OR Johansen?

High draft pick being developed at a snails pace to make room for local boy OR the Player who has been allowed to play in his preferred position and flourish as a consequence?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Galchenyuk OR Stone?

Galchenyuk OR Monahan?

Galchenyuk OR Johansen?

High draft pick being developed at a snails pace to make room for local boy OR the Player who has been allowed to play in his preferred position and flourish as a consequence?

Monahan has the same amount of ES goals as Galchenyuk in 15. Despite being deployed as his team's #1 centre. He's being killed possession wise and will hit a wall sooner or later. He'll likely have a pretty bad sophomore slump next year. 30 goals is nothing to scoff at for a 19-20 year old, but half of his goals are PP goals. Give Galchenyuk a decent PP and he'd likely have 30 goals as well.

Stone is killing it this year, and his underlying stats justify it. He's playing great hockey. He is however a year and a half older than Galchenyuk. Talent wise, he isn't all that close to Galch. He's physically stronger and plays with better linemates. Individually, Galchenyuk has created more scoring chances. Relative to his teammates, Galchenyuk has been a better possession player than Stone. Not to take anything away from Stone, he's a heck of a player especially for a 6th rounder. Once Galch finds his groove at the centre ice position with top linemates, he'll be a step ahead of Stone. Also, I doubt Stone's 16% ES shooting percentage is maintainable.

Johansen is a heck of a player, but again his underlying stats don't justify his comparisons to Galchenyuk. At ES, he has a grand total of 1 more assist (15g, 18a vs 15g, 17a for Chucky), despite being older and playing top line minutes. His goals per 60 and his points per 60 are lower than Galchenyuk. Possession wise, he doesn't hold a candle to Galchenyuk. Relative to his teammates, Galchenyuk has been significantly better possession wise and has also created more individual scoring chances. This despite playing out of position. I love the player, but Ryjo tends to get overrated because of his physical / feisty side.

The only one who really compares to Galchenyuk is Stone. He's playing out of his mind and argument can be made that he's the best of the 4 players you mentioned at this point in time. However, going forward Galchenyuk is still the most skilled of the bunch and has the highest ceiling offensively.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Smokey T, I wasn't comparing Galchenyuk to those guys in a negative light, just so you know.

If Galchenyuk had a full year as 1st line C he'd have approx a 25G-40A season (his numbers from his Dec-Jan stint as C indicate this.)

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Smokey T, I wasn't comparing Galchenyuk to those guys in a negative light, just so you know.

If Galchenyuk had a full year as 1st line C he'd have approx a 25G-40A season (his numbers from his Dec-Jan stint as C indicate this.)

I know, didn't mean for my post to come off as aggressive. The 4 players are actually a good comparison. Interestingly enough Galchenyuk compared favorably to 2 of the 3.

I agree that Galchenyuk would be at least a 60 pt player if he centered Patch all season. His shot is still a bit too spastic to hit 30 goals, but he'd have a ton more assists. Patch would likely have hit his 40 goals with Galchenyuk.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
People rate RyJo because his physical side gives him an entirely new dimension. Contrast with dipsy-doodling, contact-avoiding Galchenyuk.

Oh wait, according to some folks here, in one calendar year, when Chucky is RyJo's age he'll suddenly BECOME a #1 centre and METAMORPHIZE into a physical, north-south centre and be a 30-30 man. Just like that.

Kafka would be so proud.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I seriously can't believe this conversation is still being perpetuated. I know you can argue any point to death but this is ridiculous.

Galchnyuk is in his 2nd full year and is right up there in points with the top goal scorers except Patches on one of the most defensively minded teams and not playing on his natural position and he's a bust? And at 21 years of age no less. This is beyond ridiculous on so many levels.

HabsDieHard*

People rate RyJo because his physical side gives him an entirely new dimension. Contrast with dipsy-doodling, contact-avoiding Galchenyuk.

Oh wait, according to some folks here, in one calendar year, when Chucky is RyJo's age he'll suddenly BECOME a #1 centre and METAMORPHIZE into a physical, north-south centre and be a 30-30 man. Just like that.

Kafka would be so proud.

You've created a narrative on Galchenyuk, and sure seem to "support" it with every post you make on the issue.

That's about the only compliment anyone can give you in your Galchenyuk assessment though.

As an aside, Ryan Johansen played an extra year in junior after being drafted.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It was a joke...

And everyone in this thread is corroborating my observations: lack of footspeed, inconsistent, doesn't make the right decisions, etc.

You should really try to understand what I'm trying to say: his development hasn't been as steep or fast as I would like. From year2 to year3 he hasn't changed all that much.

All the tools but the toolbox doesn't seem fully built. The whole situation reminds me of another highly-touted winger we've drafted in recent memory but Galchenyuk is clearly better and more professional.

Thats because you missed a good part of the season. I don't recall you being here a lot in 2014. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Galchenyuk was absolutely dominant until december, the points weren't coming as much as we'd like (60ish point pace) but I would've argued he was a first line winger by then and an elite one at that. He was much better than Pacioretty. If thats not progression I don't know what it is.

His decline seemed to happen right when he was moved back to the wing. Coincidence ? I don't know, I really don't.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Galchenyuk is 21 and we are still seeing improvement in his numbers every season. There is nothing to worry about. Does everyone forget that our current best forward, Pacioretty, had his breakout season at 23?

HabsDieHard*

Galchenyuk is 21 and we are still seeing improvement in his numbers every season. There is nothing to worry about. Does everyone forget that our current best forward, Pacioretty, had his breakout season at 23?

No one is forgetting anything.

They are just selectively choosing which facts to acknowledge in their discussion.

Really though, the number of people trashing on Galchenyuk is quite low. They are just more vocal, I suppose in some bizarre attempt to convince themselves?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I seriously can't believe this conversation is still being perpetuated. I know you can argue any point to death but this is ridiculous.

Galchnyuk is in his 2nd full year and is right up there in points with the top goal scorers except Patches on one of the most defensively minded teams and not playing on his natural position and he's a bust? And at 21 years of age no less. This is beyond ridiculous on so many levels.

And he has 20 goals. He has improved his goal scoring drastically over his three seasons. So to say he has plateaued is dumb. He clearly has evolved into a scoring threat as well as a set-up guy while playing 2nd fiddle LW mins compared with Pacioretty.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Kafka would be so proud.

Johansen is not more physical than Galchenyuk :laugh: Jesus, I don't even think you watch him play.

And the notion that Galchenyuk is a dipsy-doodling, contact-avoiding player is quite funny. It's not like he's well on pace for 100 hits. He's 6th on the team in hits FFS. He's not a dipsy doodler FFS.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Johansen is not more physical than Galchenyuk :laugh: Jesus, I don't even think you watch him play.

And the notion that Galchenyuk is a dipsy-doodling, contact-avoiding player is quite funny. It's not like he's well on pace for 100 hits. He's 6th on the team in hits FFS. He's not a dipsy doodler FFS.

He mocks some posters thinking Galchenyuk can turn into a 30-30 guy in just one calendar year... which is exactly what Ryan Johansen did.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
He mocks some posters thinking Galchenyuk can turn into a 30-30 guy in just one calendar year... which is exactly what Ryan Johansen did.

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that :laugh:

Honestly I don't even understand where that poster is coming from, did Galchenyuk drop a deuce in his cereal or something? He's been given ample legitimate stats and evaluations to completely destroy any argument he's made and I've yet to see him refute a single one outside of anecdotes like dipsy doodling and stuff like that :laugh:

Keep digging though I guess :laugh:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
No one is forgetting anything.

They are just selectively choosing which facts to acknowledge in their discussion.

Really though, the number of people trashing on Galchenyuk is quite low. They are just more vocal, I suppose in some bizarre attempt to convince themselves?

True. I'm not a fan of when people clearly have agendas to fulfill.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

6th on the team with 91 on the season isn't all that much, but you're fair that RyJo has less hits (that surprised me)

Honestly, I may be overrating the guy but every time I've seen RyJo play I've been mesmerized. He has potential oozing out of the wazoo and looks rock-solid.

Maybe I've seen too many "okay" Chucky games and I'm biased.

If he does, all the better - and I'm sure Kafka would be proud.

But I don't see how someone who hasn't played C in 4 years will suddenly be a number1 C, defensively sound (which he WASN'T during his stint) and score 30-30. RyJo played C and improved, Chucky isn't playing C and improving at a lower-rate.

True. I'm not a fan of when people clearly have agendas to fulfill.

I have 2 agendas:

1. I want to win the cup no matter what. Just one. And soon.
2. I want to have a #1 centre for the first time in a decade and a half. Just one. And Soon.

HabsDieHard*

Johansen had 12 points in 40 games in his 2nd season, which came 3 years after being drafted.

but Johansen is a mesmerizing talent who oozes potential, meanwhile Galchenyuk is a stagnated player who isn't defensively responsible.

You are constantly moving the goal posts, ignoring factors, and presenting misleading information to push your own narrative on Galchenyuk you've created.

A great example of this was claiming Johansen is this significantly superior physical force to Galchenyuk, and yet when faced wtih the FACT that somehow despite that Gaclhenyuk has more hits than Johansen it's just a throwaway "whoops I'm surprised by that" remark.

One year after having 12 points in 40 games, Johansen had 33 goals and 63 points in 82 games.

But apparently Galchenyuk going from around 50 points to 60 points is completely out of the realm of possibility.

Why is that?

Because from wehre we're sitting, it looks like it's nothing more than a baseless remark to "support" the narrative you've created on Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuks' 1st season was better than Johansens' first season.
Galchenyuks 2nd season was better than Johansens' second season.

Both of those situations came a year earlier into his career than they had for Johansen.

So again, can you please enlighten the rest of us as to why Johansen going from a 25 point player to a 60 point guy over the course of one off season was something that could plausibly happen (since, you know, it did and all) yet Galchenyuk going from 48ish to 60ish isn't?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Johansen had 12 points in 40 games in his 2nd season, which came 3 years after being drafted.

but Johansen is a mesmerizing talent who oozes potential, meanwhile Galchenyuk is a stagnated player who isn't defensively responsible.

You are constantly moving the goal posts, ignoring factors, and presenting misleading information to push your own narrative on Galchenyuk you've created.

A great example of this was claiming Johansen is this significantly superior physical force to Galchenyuk, and yet when faced wtih the FACT that somehow despite that Gaclhenyuk has more hits than Johansen it's just a throwaway "whoops I'm surprised by that" remark.

One year after having 12 points in 40 games, Johansen had 33 goals and 63 points in 82 games.

But apparently Galchenyuk going from around 50 points to 60 points is completely out of the realm of possibility.

Why is that?

Because from wehre we're sitting, it looks like it's nothing more than a baseless remark to "support" the narrative you've created on Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuks' 1st season was better than Johansens' first season.
Galchenyuks 2nd season was better than Johansens' second season.

Both of those situations came a year earlier into his career than they had for Johansen.

So again, can you please enlighten the rest of us as to why Johansen going from a 25 point player to a 60 point guy over the course of one off season was something that could plausibly happen (since, you know, it did and all) yet Galchenyuk going from 48ish to 60ish isn't?
What do you want me to do? Get on my knees and beg for forgiveness? I said I was mistaken and justified why it happened. Like one does in conversations.

You wanna chop me up and feed me to the poor? Jesus.

And my entire hesitation on Chucky is predicated on the fact that he will have MORE defensive responsibilities as a centre. If he can't produce at a 30-30 rate as a LW, I don't know how he'll do it as a C.

Unless, of course he plays with Pacioretty and Gallagher, our absolute two best wingers... But doesn't that say something about Chucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad