Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk (LW) (1yr, 1.05m)

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Gally knows this is his last NHL contract if he doesn't show something. And it's a short season. All the motivation. It's hard to sustain the playing-for-your-life intensity for prolonged periods, so let's see how he does.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I always liked Galchenyuk when he was in Montreal. He was a guaranteed 50 point player and a play driver.

Not sure what happened in Pit and ARI. I hope he makes our management regret not bringing him back.
He's been moved around too often. He was already broken by MTL when he went to Pit and ARI.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I think with Galchenyuk it's about consistency not talent. He can definitely score but does he play a good enough game over the course of the season for a team to want him?

Not really that different than Duclair. The talent is obvious but it's about having a decent enough overall game to go with scoring and being consistent.

I loved the goal last night and would love for him to become a player for us but he's definitely a guy you evaluate over a longer period of time before you can call him a good pickup.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I think with Galchenyuk it's about consistency not talent. He can definitely score but does he play a good enough game over the course of the season for a team to want him?

Not really that different than Duclair. The talent is obvious but it's about having a decent enough overall game to go with scoring and being consistent.

I loved the goal last night and would love for him to become a player for us but he's definitely a guy you evaluate over a longer period of time before you can call him a good pickup.

Were there people questioning his talent? The consistency concerns are clear, but the deployment of him has to be fair too. By all accounts he was terrible in Pittsburgh, but wasn't exactly given the opportunity to succeed. Buried on the fourth line averaging less than 12 minutes a game would stifle a lot of players talents.

When Jimmy is back in the line up, Galchenyuk has to be given a fair shake to assess him properly. I hope that on paper he's no lower than line 3 with Tierney and Brown, but would like to see line shuffling in game where he plays with top 6 guys on top of PP2 time.

Last edited:

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Yeah I agree, when Stützle comes back it’s tough to justify giving Galchenyuk a top 6 spot. Paul-Tierney-Brown has been a good 3rd line for us, but I would love to see Paul and Gally on a line together, Paul has looked so confident with the puck this year

Reactions: TheDebater

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Galchenyuk when he is on his game.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Were there people questioning his talent? The consistency concerns are clear, but the deployment of him has to be fair too. By all accounts he was terrible in Pittsburgh, but wasn't exactly given the opportunity to succeed. Buried on the fourth line averaging less than 12 minutes a game would stifle a lot of players talents.

No one was questioning his talent, nor was I. That's the point, he is definitely capable of scoring the types of goals he did last night. The reason he has bounced around is his lack of consistency. So the test for him is not scoring a couple of goals but how his play evens out over a year.

NHL teams are trying to win games above all else. If he plays well, he will get more minutes. Many, many players work their way up a lineup through their play. You don't have to be gifted a prime spot to find success.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I feel if Galchenyuk would stick to playing his off wing and be used as a shooter/one timer threat he would be a wayyy more effective player vs trying him as a playmaking C or typical LW.

Use him to his strengths and he will produce.
You mean something like Stützle-L.Brown-Galchenyuk?

Yeah his first shift showcased his effectiveness on his off wing. This clip really encapsulated that.

He was able to carry the puck up the boards and battle through a check playing a strong north south game. Then once in the offensive zone he was able to cut in on the net for a dangerous scoring chance. That really initiated a lot of offensive momentum for the team. He looked dangerous on the right side all game. On the powerplay he scored a goal, had multiple dangerous shots and even set up Anisimov for a dangerous scoring chance. Eventhough he was listed at left wing on that line I remember him creating a lot more dangerous chance from the right side. Maybe that is just because he was lined up there for the powerplay or maybe it works better for his skill set.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
No one was questioning his talent, nor was I. That's the point, he is definitely capable of scoring the types of goals he did last night. The reason he has bounced around is his lack of consistency. So the test for him is not scoring a couple of goals but how his play evens out over a year.

NHL teams are trying to win games above all else. If he plays well, he will get more minutes. Many, many players work their way up a lineup through their play. You don't have to be gifted a prime spot to find success.

I think we're mostly saying the same thing, the only caveat I'd add is that with a full roster DJ doesn't do what Pittsburgh did: bury him with linemates that are offensive black holes and then blame him if he doesn't produce.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Not crazy about his lazy penalties. I think he needs rope like everyone else, but two games, two bad penalties

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not crazy about his lazy penalties. I think he needs rope like everyone else, but two games, two bad penalties
Both calls were soft. Extremely soft. And he offers a lot else. We’ve had penalty issues this season. Those guys aren’t getting dinged.

I think if he hadn’t scored on Tuesday he would have been scratched again.

Reactions: Masked

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He is crappy with his defensive responsibilities. He'd better score otherwise he is a huge liability.
I can see the merit in having him in based on his ability on the PP, and because I havent liked what I've seen from other bottom-of-the-lineup guys, but he's definitely bad without the puck on his stick/standing still in the offensive zone

Reactions: DueDiligence

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He is still a reclamation project like Duclair was. There was a noticeable drop off in quality of play from his first game to his second one. I would like to see him stay in the lineup but he needs to find a way to have a consistent intensity level. He has an opportunity to become a better player here. I have mixed feelings about him being in the gray jersey today. Part of me is frustrated because I think he brings an element the team lacks to the lineup and should be given some rope to get his game going. The other part of me realizes that him being challenged and that DJ Smith demanding more from him is kind of what he needs. On the extra line he gets to work with Michael Haley. I listened to a Haley interview a few months ago and he mentioned how he prides himself on being a good 4th liner. Taking pride in doing the little things well has given a player like Haley as good of a chance to stay in the NHL as one could expect and he has clearly earned the trust of a lot of coaches because of that. If Galchenyuk can focus on developing those good habits and doing the small things well he will become a better player.

Another player I think Galchenyuk can learn from is Nick Paul. Earlier in his career Paul didn't know what kind of player he both wanted to and needed to be. He could pull off some high skill moves and wanted to be more of a top six guy but his lack of consistency held him back from making the NHL. He spent a lot of time working on his mental game and confidence level and now he is the kind of player that takes on whatever role the team needs him to play and gives it his all game in game out. He has earned a lot of praise from the coaching staff because of that. Galchenyuk does need to re-invent himself if he wants to be a long term piece of this or any other organization. If he really has matured then he will realize that it is the only option for him at this point. Hopefully he accepts the challenge and finds a way to commit to improving his consistency, compete level, play away from the puck and his overall defensive play. He did finish last game with 3 hits so maybe he is trying and it is just a process. Hopefully he takes the most of this opportunity and transforms his game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Looking at my crystal ball & I see Galchenyuk overseas for next season. Has some scoring talent, but finds himself behind the play a lot defensively resulting in taking some bad penalties. At this point in his career Galchenyuk is still making some bone head plays, like Duclair did occasionally last yr & I think Duke is the better player. Hopefully, someone might want him for a playoff run.

Reactions: DrEasy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He should be a regular in the lineup at this point and given the Duclair treatment. He was brought in as a reclamation project and to this point they haven't taken that approach with him. They need to put him in a position to succeed and make him a regular to see if they can turn him into the type of player that they should commit longer term to. He isn't one of the young guys in term of being a prospect but he is one of the younger guys on the team. He is only 26 and will be turning 27 within a few weeks. He is young enough that he should be considered one of the guys that should play regularly. It is time to give him a chance to see what he can do.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He should be a regular in the lineup at this point and given the Duclair treatment. He was brought in as a reclamation project and to this point they haven't taken that approach with him. They need to put him in a position to succeed and make him a regular to see if they can turn him into the type of player that they should commit longer term to. He isn't one of the young guys in term of being a prospect but he is one of the younger guys on the team. He is only 26 and will be turning 27 within a few weeks. He is young enough that he should be considered one of the guys that should play regularly. It is time to give him a chance to see what he can do.

Or at least get some value for him at the deadline or next year's deadline. There is not much reason NOT to give the guy some games at this point.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad