Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk (LW) (1yr, 1.05m)

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
That's their match-up line. He won't be playing there.

It is interesting though, both Paul and C. Brown are good defensive, hard working players every shift maybe it would add another dynamic by having an offensive threat at centre? Galchenyuk could work in between those guys and be forced to keep up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's their match-up line. He won't be playing there.
Probably right but we played Hoffman and Ryan on our matchup line (not at the same time mind you) not too long ago.

I might consider putting Stützle or Tkachuk there and Galchenyuk up a slot instead, see how that goes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It is interesting though, both Paul and C. Brown are good defensive, hard working players every shift maybe it would add another dynamic by having an offensive threat at centre? Galchenyuk could work in between those guys and be forced to keep up.
I do not see it and i think its not a good place for him at all. The point of the line is to play against the other teams best players. Thats not putting Galchenyuk in a position to succeed. I think he needs a defensively responsible player on his line no matter what but he wont be playing center there.

Probably right but we played Hoffman and Ryan on our matchup line (not at the same time mind you) not too long ago.

I might consider putting Stützle or Tkachuk there and Galchenyuk up a slot instead, see how that goes.

Yeah not at center and not with this coach. Its probalby the last place Galechenyuk will ever play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah not at center and not with this coach. Its probalby the last place Galechenyuk will ever play.
Yeah definately not at center, agree with you there.

It's interesting though, DJ was willing to put Duclair on the PK despite him not having a strong reputation wrt his defensive play, so he's not completely unwilling to play guys out of their typical element if he sees the tools to potentially have a positive impact.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Get him in the lineup . Sit Paquette for a game. Play him 4th line LW .. to start .. give him some PP time.. change it up during the game to move him up.

I would keep the Paul Tierney Brown line together for now.

I really wish they put Logan Brown in a roster spot for this first couple of weeks.,, He could have played himself on plus giving him a spot would have opened up the whole taxi squad to come into games.

I don't think there is not a lot of separation between several of these players.

Brady, Batherson, Dadonov, Stutzle, Paul, Tierney, Brown, Stepan cemented.

That leaves 4 roster spots that should have some flexibility.. I think Norris vs Brown should not be as black and white as it has been made out.

They had a unique opportunity to have good looks at players in the NHL and they restricted who comes in to 2 forwards out of so far (Galchenyuk, White, Anisimov)
Alternatively, Norris could come out for Brown for a game or two; Chlapik could come in for Paquette; Even Watson could come out for White for example...
They tied their own hands with their short sighted decision and believing in their blank and white assessments over training camp.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

It's interesting though, DJ was willing to put Duclair on the PK despite him not having a strong reputation wrt his defensive play, so he's not completely unwilling to play guys out of their typical element if he sees the tools to potentially have a positive impact.
Yeah thats fair, I think when you look at Duclairs skating and range it makes sense. Speaking of Duclair, he sure looked good on Barkovs wing yesterday. (Like playing between Tkachuk and Batherson its probably not too hard to look good there).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think he should be between stutzle and dadonov.

He’s played center before and played it adequately. He DID have two wingers both better than him tho. Let’s do that again

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think I'd like to see him come in for Pacquette. We have plenty of other guys who can play gritty etc. but not many who can contribute on the PP.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think I'd like to see him come in for Pacquette. We have plenty of other guys who can play gritty etc. but not many who can contribute on the PP.

I'd rather see Logan Brown play PP then Galchenyuk. At least Logan Brown will go into a corner.

"Galchy don't do puck retrieval"

Reactions: Odie Cleghorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We've got a dozen guys that we can throw on a Pk, but only about 6 that look like they belong on a PP. Going to be tough scoring with that kind of ratio

Reactions: bert

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm trying to make sense of why he was picked up and is not being played. I guess this is still sort of like camp. DJ is using these games like exhibition games?

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Who are our 12 good Penalty killers?
Didn't say good, said we can throw them out there and not look out of place:

Tierney, Stepan, Paul, C.Brown, Watson, Paquette, Gudbrason, J.Brown, Coburn, Zaitsev, so not quite a dozen but the point remains,

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'd rather see Logan Brown play PP then Galchenyuk. At least Logan Brown will go into a corner.

"Galchy don't do puck retrieval"
Never saw an issue with his board play. He seemed to have his way with us in the playoffs 2015. Long time ago tho of course

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Galchenyuk hasn't been really good at Center in the NHL. Montreal coaching staff was able to "manage" him somewhat but the level of coaching we usually have is not even close to what they had/have

If you have him between Paul and Brown, maybe you won't be able to shutdown anything.

IMO, the way to have him in the line-up :

Tkachuk-Stepan-Batherson
Stuetzle-Norris-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-White-Watson
Anisimov/Paquette

I'd want Tkachuk-Norris to be a thing but he has 5 NHL games experience, needs to be more comfortable, less pressure helps for now.

With so many vets for now, hard to do things differently. We can only envision things very short term.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Thats because Duc was effective everywhere including the PK last year. DJ rarely plays uncommitted or incapable defenders in compromised situations like a PK or DZone starts vs a top scoring line.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I see he's in the lineup tonight against the Jets.
Good luck to him, I've always liked him and want to see him do well.... sincerely hope it happens with you guys.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Other than the penalty, he's looks really good out there. His skill is so evident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad