Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk - Helen Lovejoy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
What is he stubborn about?

Why punish one of your better offensive players in the playoffs... it isn't time to send messages, it's time to give your best shot at winning.

Galchenyuk entered the league missing an entire season before his draft year. He played wing the half year of the lockout in the OHL and then wing for us after in the NHL.

MT took it slow with AG, using him as a LW and letting him grow as an NHLer. I thought it was a good move.

AG never dominated the wing spot though. You look at guys like Seguin who in their 2nd year became top players in their off position(wing). Galchenyuk kind of never broke out. He just got gradually better and everyone put the breaks on putting him into the spotlight, for better or worse.

He's gotten his opportunity at C and some games he's a stud, others he's lost. He's supremely talent and has a good work ethic but is often caught flat footed so if he wants to be the go to guy he either needs to keep moving or be ahead of the play. Some have questioned whether he has the hockey IQ to be ahead of the play but we'll see.

All this being said he does well offensively as a C when he's between the team's best wingers. MT and even CJ are now trying to get the defensive aspect in his game but are creating a false sense of urgency to get it done. They are artificially slotting him in bottom 6 so he works hard and 'earns' his position.

He's a good young player with potential and once it clicks he'll be great. We'll see IF it clicks though.

Keep in mind Julien, Therrien and even guys like Tortorella want their top C to play any matchup and be coachable. They can't with Galchenyuk yet so he gets buried. It is what it is. Tough love and all but it's a little bit of a mix between Galchenyuk needing to do a little more and the coach having an old school mentality.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I think he was getting annoyed of Engels more than anything else.

What are these questions? Every player feels they can do more and wants to do more. He'll never admit it to the media though so asking is just looking for drama.

So that's why galchenyuk is asking "what are you trying to get out of me?" because it's a stupid question to ask and expect a real response from.

Unless he's traded for another C like Duchene I see him signing no problem.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Galchenyuk entered the league missing an entire season before his draft year. He played wing the half year of the lockout in the OHL and then wing for us after in the NHL.

MT took it slow with AG, using him as a LW and letting him grow as an NHLer. I thought it was a good move.

AG never dominated the wing spot though. You look at guys like Seguin who in their 2nd year became top players in their off position(wing). Galchenyuk kind of never broke out. He just got gradually better and everyone put the breaks on putting him into the spotlight, for better or worse.

He's gotten his opportunity at C and some games he's a stud, others he's lost. He's supremely talent and has a good work ethic but is often caught flat footed so if he wants to be the go to guy he either needs to keep moving or be ahead of the play. Some have questioned whether he has the hockey IQ to be ahead of the play but we'll see.

All this being said he does well offensively as a C when he's between the team's best wingers. MT and even CJ are now trying to get the defensive aspect in his game but are creating a false sense of urgency to get it done. They are artificially slotting him in bottom 6 so he works hard and 'earns' his position.

He's a good young player with potential and once it clicks he'll be great. We'll see IF it clicks though.

Keep in mind Julien, Therrien and even guys like Tortorella want their top C to play any matchup and be coachable. They can't with Galchenyuk yet so he gets buried. It is what it is. Tough love and all but it's a little bit of a mix between Galchenyuk needing to do a little more and the coach having an old school mentality.

Why are the only options top C or wing? Why can't he be 2nd line C, hell even 3rd line center would've been better.

In his rookie year he played a dozen games centering Prust and Gallagher on the third line and the line was dominant (Playing against other 3rd/4th lines). Moving him to wing has never been about him not being ready to be a center.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
I liked what Julien said. He said that Galchenyuk isn't yet trustworthy at center. He'll start him on the wing and help him become a center. Let the guy develop without pressure.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I liked what Julien said. He said that Galchenyuk isn't yet trustworthy at center. He'll start him on the wing and help him become a center. Let the guy develop without pressure.

Precisely what I got out of CJ's comment. Even MB said that his shot-term future is on the wing. Nothing in that comment suggests they don't want him at center.

And I mentioned before what a real coach like Babcock was able to do with Kadri, who struggled as a center for the Leafs. I feel like a real coach like CJ can have have the same effect on Galchenyuk. The advantage Habs have with Galchenyuk is that he is also a winger, so he can work there in the meantime.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For what it's worth, Gagnon believes Galchenyuk could be gone this summer. He says that he won't be able to fetch you that elite 1C like Getzlaf or McDavid, but in a multi-player trade, maybe Habs can get someone like Draisatl if Edmonton feels the deal is worth it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If Edmonton wouldn't part with Draisaitl for Subban, I don't see why they would for Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk probably fits better as a winger for them, though, and Edmonton can just keep with McDavid-RNH as their top two.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Pure rumour mongling by another disciple of the organization launching baloons in the media to condition the fan base for the eventual trade.

Gagnon is about as big an idiot as McGuire, and he wanted to trade Subban & Galchenyuk for Yakupov.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

It's Chucky's 5th year in the league next year...will it ever click for him?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You mean like scoring 30 goals at 22 years old? Or being a top 5 league wide scorer before busting up his knee?

No, being responsible enough in his own end to be a Centerman full time

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
It's Chucky's 5th year in the league next year...will it ever click for him?

Hudon will be playing is first pro season next year as a rookie, Galchenyuk was drafted the same year as Hudon. I am not saying that Galchenyuk should still be consider a rookie, but it is normal that he is still developing consider the fact that he entered the league at only 18 years old.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Did you make that up yourself or did you read/hear this from some really crappy source who heard it from somewhere or made it up ?

That bit is like the infamous Lecavalier trade that never happened. I think last time I heard that one, it was Pacioretty, Subban, Plekanec, Price and Galchenyuk for Lecavalier, and Galchenyuk hadn't even been drafted yet.

They just keep adding pieces!

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Did you make that up yourself or did you read/hear this from some really crappy source who heard it from somewhere or made it up ?

Pierre McGuire before the draft quite famously said on TSN radio that Montreal should consider calling up Edmonton and packaging Subban with the 3rd overall pick to get the 1st overall and draft Yakupov plus pick up another unspecified asset.

He also suggested dealing the 3rd overall for Jordan Staal in the same time period.

So maybe don't be so arrogant next time.

This off course was in one of the stupidest eras (and that's saying something) of Montreal media's perception of Subban, when they talked about him being comparable to del Zotto (anyone who tracked statistics at the time knew he was already top 10 in the league in value, but that's the media for you). Hence applauding the bridge deal as Subban was "unproven."

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Hudon will be playing is first pro season next year as a rookie, Galchenyuk was drafted the same year as Hudon. I am not saying that Galchenyuk should still be consider a rookie, but it is normal that he is still developing consider the fact that he entered the league at only 18 years old.

Fortunately Galchenyuk missed the crap show in the A. Just his luck, though, that he gets Therrien for his development. Operant conditioning as a coaching strategy...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
That bit is like the infamous Lecavalier trade that never happened. I think last time I heard that one, it was Pacioretty, Subban, Plekanec, Price and Galchenyuk for Lecavalier, and Galchenyuk hadn't even been drafted yet.

They just keep adding pieces!

You forgot about Sergachev. I think he was part of the deal... :laugh:

But, seriously, Pierre McGuire did say that his ballpark for an upgrade from 3rd OV to 1st OV in 2012 was PK Subban. So that's Glachenyuk and Subban for Yakupov. And that is so utterly dumb (even in 2012) that you can't even defend the guy's evaluation.

Last edited:

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
If Edmonton wouldn't part with Draisaitl for Subban, I don't see why they would for Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk probably fits better as a winger for them, though, and Edmonton can just keep with McDavid-RNH as their top two.

I don't think it was giving up Draisaitl for Subban, I think it was giving up Draisaitl + Klefbom + 4th OV + something else that Edmonton didn't want to do.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
For what it's worth, Gagnon believes Galchenyuk could be gone this summer. He says that he won't be able to fetch you that elite 1C like Getzlaf or McDavid, but in a multi-player trade, maybe Habs can get someone like Draisatl if Edmonton feels the deal is worth it.

Good god why would Edmonton trade Draisatl for AG? That would be horrific on their part & Gagnon is out to lunch to suggest it.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why are the only options top C or wing? Why can't he be 2nd line C, hell even 3rd line center would've been better.

In his rookie year he played a dozen games centering Prust and Gallagher on the third line and the line was dominant (Playing against other 3rd/4th lines). Moving him to wing has never been about him not being ready to be a center.

I too think he should play at C and if not at the level they want, at least in a 2nd/3rd line role.

I'm just saying how the coaches see it. They favor two-way guys. Look at what MB said, it's about two-way play, not points.:help:

To a degree it makes sense but...it's a little much now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good god why would Edmonton trade Draisatl for AG? That would be horrific on their part & Gagnon is out to lunch to suggest it.

He didn't say a 1v1 trade. He meant it in a package deal. And he also mentioned Draisatl simply to explain that Galchenyuk won't be able to fetch you the elite top line centers in this league, but he can maybe get you the 1C that is a notch below elite.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No, being responsible enough in his own end to be a Centerman full time

People have to stop with the non sense really...

Plekanec, Danault, Mitchell, maybe Ott re-signed... that's more than enough C who can play defensively.

then you have wingers like Pacioretty, lekhonen, Shaw, Gallagher, Byron and co who are at worst average defensively.

who ****ing cares if one or two of the Habs forwards arent really good defensively ??

the ones who witnessed the Habs scoring a grand total of 4 goals in the last 3 games of the PO, 3 games they LOST by the way... do they care that much about defensive play ?? are they really the kind to think Habs lost cause forwards can't play defense or something ??

ALL the Habs C in this serie can play defense (not counting Galchenyuk obviously)... yet we lost. 4 goals in last 3 games... 1.25 PPG from the Habs... let that sink in for a moment... 1.25 PPG, that's what we scored in the last 3... it's actually less than 1.25 PPG given there was OT...

but oh! no! OMG! Galchenyuk can't play defense! we're doomed! only 11 of our forwards are good defensively! it's impossible to do anything with this!

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He didn't say a 1v1 trade. He meant it in a package deal. And he also mentioned Draisatl simply to explain that Galchenyuk won't be able to fetch you the elite top line centers in this league, but he can maybe get you the 1C that is a notch below elite.

A.G, Gallagher, serghachev, for Draisatl is what I'd ask for if Edmonton. Even then, Edmonton is getting a fringe second liner, a near bust, an unknown.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pierre McGuire before the draft quite famously said on TSN radio that Montreal should consider calling up Edmonton and packaging Subban with the 3rd overall pick to get the 1st overall and draft Yakupov plus pick up another unspecified asset.

He also suggested dealing the 3rd overall for Jordan Staal in the same time period.

So maybe don't be so arrogant next time.

This off course was in one of the stupidest eras (and that's saying something) of Montreal media's perception of Subban, when they talked about him being comparable to del Zotto (anyone who tracked statistics at the time knew he was already top 10 in the league in value, but that's the media for you). Hence applauding the bridge deal as Subban was "unproven."
As I recall he was talking about what Edmonton would ask, not whether or not we should move PK for it.
The Staal suggestion was terrible though, but in all honesty, everyone here would have stupid crazy trade scenarios if they had to come up with some and mention them publicly. I mean, have you ever read the trade proposal threads?
Sure, nobody here is paid to give our opinions, I'm sure plenty would rethink their proposals if they were, just like I'm sure PM would rethink a lot of things if he were actually in charge of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad