Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk - Helen Lovejoy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
maybe, but 5 years into his career, if he cant play like a top 1C then he probably just isnt one.

He played -- what -- 35 games at C this year due to injury on the first line before Julien decided to send him a message and play him in the bottom-six?

30 goals last season, PPG before his first injury this season... he was doing as well as you could expect someone who was jerked around for so long in regards to what role he was playing and whether he was a winger or centre.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Yes, let's trade the 22years old player that was ppg before injuries and sent down into the bottom 6 for the remaining games.

Thing is ; I don't expect MB to offer 5.5 6years to a guy playing on his 3rd line either.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
He played -- what -- 35 games at C this year due to injury on the first line before Julien decided to send him a message and play him in the bottom-six?

30 goals last season, PPG before his first injury this season... he was doing as well as you could expect someone who was jerked around for so long in regards to what role he was playing and whether he was a winger or centre.

Quit the horsemanure ppg thing.
Over the entire season the ppg centers were Mcdavid,Crosby,Backstrom.Scheifele,Getzlaf(almost) and Malkin.
Mathews was head and shoulders better than Galchenyuk and scored at a ,84 ppg rate.
During the early season when the intensity was at a much lower level Galchenyuk scored at a good clip when the opposition was primarily against the weaker Atlantic division. Same as the tail end of last year when the Habs were out of it.Overall he is nowhere near a ppg player.
Back in the day Bruce Lee was so quick they had to show him in slow motion to see his moves.
Today you have to speed camera up to see Galchenyuks feet Move.

Jul 6, 2016

On a losing team, not making the Playoffs. Got most of his goals ine the last 20-25 games of the season.

You remember that DD got 60 points the year they finished dead last ?

I don't believe in big stats when there is nothing at stakes, no pressure to win.

Locks

May 28, 2005
On a losing team, not making the Playoffs. Got most of his goals ine the last 20-25 games of the season.

You remember that DD got 60 points the year they finished dead last ?

I don't believe in big stats when there is nothing at stakes, no pressure to win.

Somehow you make a rather secondary factor such as being likely out of playoffs as the primary reason for his performance while ignoring the major factor: Chucky played those last 20-25 games on the first line with Max as opposed to playing the bulk of the season with a 25 point forward playing out of position in Eller on his left wing and every fourth liner as well as a finished player in Semin on his right wing.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
After hearing his locker room comments today, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bolt to the KHL... The guy sounds depressed. Nothing has gone his way this year and he already had fragile confidence.

budro16

Jan 24, 2016
After hearing his locker room comments today, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bolt to the KHL... The guy sounds depressed. Nothing has gone his way this year and he already had fragile confidence.

where can we hear everyone's comments? do you have a link?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
"Since Day 1 [Julien] was always positive with me. We've had a lot of great discussions, and even today we spoke well. He's been great," shared Galchenyuk, who registered 17 goals and 44 points in 61 games this season. "Honestly I don't think about contract stuff too much. I focus on what I have to do on the ice, and I'll let my agent handle the contract part and try not to think about it too much. I'll get some rest, refresh, and keep working hard for next year. I love this team, I love this city, I love the fans -- everything about Montreal, I love. It's an exciting place to play."

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Will never be the superstar player some people thought he would become but that doesn't mean we should get rid of him. I am not sold on him playing centre though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/galchen...tunities-in-montreal-future-with-habs~1107653

Here is the interview. He isn't a happy guy.

As a Leafs fan, I don't understand this. He's a talented guy, maybe not elite, but growing into a very good player. Why does he keep getting played on the third or fourth lines? You guys watch him more than I, and I really don't understand why this is happening... to me, when I watch him he is better than that.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/galchen...tunities-in-montreal-future-with-habs~1107653

As a Leafs fan, I don't understand this. He's a talented guy, maybe not elite, but growing into a very good player. Why does he keep getting played on the third or fourth lines? You guys watch him more than I, and I really don't understand why this is happening... to me, when I watch him he is better than that.

Because he's stubborn and coaches have decided to give him tough love as a result.

They play him lower than they should to 'motivate him' or 'send him a message'.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What is he stubborn about?

Why punish one of your better offensive players in the playoffs... it isn't time to send messages, it's time to give your best shot at winning.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

It seems like he's annoyed at the questions posed by the reporters more than anything. I don't blame him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Because he's stubborn and coaches have decided to give him tough love as a result.

They play him lower than they should to 'motivate him' or 'send him a message'.

Tough love, maybe, but I think the organization has been unfair to him.

No question, Galchenyuk had to be better down the stretch, but I think his performances to end last season, and to start this one, as a center on the 1st line should have earned him a LOT more leeway to get things back in order, especially after coming back from a serious injury.

Instead, it took what, 3 games before he was back in a limbo on the bottom six, as a winger to boot? And that's another thing. The way this organization has "developed" him over the years is downright laughable. People acting surprised when the kid struggles on draws 5 years into his career when he's been used as a winger for the better part of his first 4 seasons in the league...

If I'm Galchenyuk, I'm thinking long and hard whether I want to commit my future to a franchise that's run by Bergevin, after going through what he has went through in his career so far.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada

He didn't play 1st line minutes at any point this season, he was on the prime scoring line early and it worked but he was playing like 16 min per game. He also had a really high SH% and on-ice SH% prior to the injury. He's not a PPG C and he's not a C you can roll out there in any situation. At least ATM.

As much as we like to ***** about him getting jerked around, myself included. It's a pretty odd thing now that it's 2 completely different coaches, on an offense starved team had that hard of a time trusting him. Even the u-23 team didn't want him as an injury replacement coming off 30 goals. It was a solid team but there's holes in his game people downplay. He's deadly with time and space, so 4 on 3, 5 on 3, maybe on a competent regular PP. Obviously his defensive game is problematic and it's insane how little he uses his shot despite how deadly it is. 104 shots in 61 games for a player like him is ridiculous. He scored a pretty low number of 5 on 5 goals, lots in OT or on the PP and I just don't get it. He's got a rocket. I don't like his hockey sense.

For a guy who's played 5 seasons now and 364 regular season + playoff games, there's a lot more questions than answers. I'd like to see how a full season under Julien goes for him, with a camp and everything but the contract situation already feels like a ticking time bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad