Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk - Helen Lovejoy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Jost, Sergachev and Chychrun were all fine by me on draft day. Jost really impressed me at the U20, though, whereas I feel like Sergachev has not taken the next step I wished he would this season. He's still very young, but I'm having more doubts about him now than I had a year ago.

We'll see how this goes. If the plan is to use Galchenyuk on the wings, we'll need to do something about our lack of C high end talent as soon as possible.
If the plan is to use Chuck on the wing then we might as well trade him now. And that's exactly what I think is going to happen in the offseason. Barring some great playoff run he's trade bait.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
The previous thread's been closed for 2 days, so is yesterday's PGT, which became a Chucky thread in itself, like the Out Of Town thread (trades) and many others (talk of the town), so surely there's a need for a new thread. Why not one that starts with an obvious wink? ;)

xdcgu8.jpg

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If the plan is to use Chuck on the wing then we might as well trade him now. And that's exactly what I think is going to happen in the offseason. Barring some great playoff run he's trade bait.

At first I thought it was a way of making his cpa hit smaller by putting him in a place that he doesn't play as well. But with the narrative I have seen this year he is trade bait. I do look forward to seeing him flourish on another team while we get a borderline 2C in return but he will have GREAT kharacter.
I hope ontario gets one more team so I can start cheering for a team instead of getting pissed off at a terrible GM that managed to squander what we thought was our best squad in 30 years. :shakehead

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Why?

Because this team has an abundance of talented wingers?

Sorry LG, with all due respect

Where's the logic in that?

Have you ever considered that this whole center/wing thing is more of an issue for fans/media than it is for him?

Have you ever even for one second, considered that perhaps he prefers to play wing?

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill personally.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Why?

Because this team has an abundance of talented wingers?

Sorry LG, with all due respect

Where's the logic in that?

Have you ever considered that this whole center/wing thing is more of an issue for fans/media than it is for him?

Have you ever even for one second, considered that perhaps he prefers to play wing?

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill personally.

He did get publicly called out by Julien last night. And Julien RARELY if ever calls out a player publicly like that. That's his motto. Take the blame and let the players thrive. He called him out in front of the biggest press corps in the league, aside from Taranna's. That's significant.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The previous thread's been closed for 2 days, so is yesterday's PGT, which became a Chucky thread in itself, like the Out Of Town thread (trades) and many others (talk of the town), so surely there's a need for a new thread. Why not one that starts with an obvious wink? ;)

xdcgu8.jpg
Nice :laugh:

BTW, I moved a bunch of Chuck posts from the out of town to here in case you're wondering why your post is now the third one here. It comes in chronologically.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Not sure whats up with him but he's cost himself a lot of money with his play this season. Hard to blame anyone but Alex right now.

Jul 6, 2016
He did get publicly called out by Julien last night. And Julien RARELY if ever calls out a player publicly like that. That's his motto. Take the blame and let the players thrive. He called him out in front of the biggest press corps in the league, aside from Taranna's. That's significant.

Julien was answering the numerous questions asked to him by the journalists. He said very clearly that it was not his intention at all to throw his player under the bus (trainer dans la boue, in French) and that him and all the coaches will do their best to revive Galchy's game.

What would you had prefered CJ to answer ? "Next question, please !" ????... He said it very cleary that he did not want to spend all night answering questions about Galchenyuk.

it's not like MT coming up to the microphone last season and really crapping on Subban's errors vs Colorado.

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
he hasn't been good but his OT goals are top in league!

oh and his points per game aren't shabby

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Alex Galchenyuk is one of the few players who has not taken advantage of the arrival of Claude Julien with the Montreal Canadiens to relaunch his season, the young forward is struggling to establish himself as a star center and he doesn't seem to have the full confidence of his new coach.

Despite the struggles, Chucky can see his name climbing a very special statistic, as he surpassed the legend Maurice Richard for goals scored by a Canadiens player before reaching the age of 24 years.

Galchenyuk celebrated his 23rd birthday on February 12th and is already ranked 8th in the history of the Habs for goals scored before 24, and is currently only one goal away from joining Claude Lemieux for 7th.

This is not a trivial stat given that Nicolas Poulin of 25Stanley pointed outthat 6 of the 9 players who are on this list are now in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Is this more proof that Habs fans must be patient with Chucky and that he is going to enjoy a great future with the Montreal Canadiens.

Are you still confident that he will be an impact player in the NHL?

- http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/03/26/alex-galchenyuk-passes-maurice-richard-in-a-very-i/

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
he hasn't been good but his OT goals are top in league!

oh and his points per game aren't shabby

Don't mention those things when you should rather be flinging mud.

Gallagher, Pacioretty, Price and Radulov all got the same level of extended, foolish hate at some point this season. All have injuries in common. It's okay to be critical of players, but sometimes the negativity is beyond reason.

DirtyMitts

Oct 1, 2016
Montréal, QC, Canada
I was watching AG's highlights and goals from earlier this season, and I wondered what the hell happened to him!? I swear he actually had speed and was hustling so much more.

Anyone thinks he might've hit the gym a little too much and could benefit from dropping to 200lbs to gain more speed and agility ? nhl.com lists him as 210 but he does seem heavier these days.

There were rumours that he was out of shape. I can't remember where I saw it but does anybody know something about that ?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Don't mention those things when you should rather be flinging mud.

Gallagher, Pacioretty, Price and Radulov all got the same level of extended, foolish hate at some point this season. All have injuries in common. It's okay to be critical of players, but sometimes the negativity is beyond reason.

Agree but it should apply to both sides.

AG isn't a 3rd line winger, but he isn't also an elite franchise 1C in the mold of McDavid/Crosby/Schieflie or other top 10 1C's.

He hasn't been the same since coming back from injury but he still has put up points and his line has been playing pretty well lately.

I think CJ needs to deflect the pressure off him. I would like for the organization to basically say AG is a failure so media/fans stop paying attention to him so he can focus on hockey without all the "when will he be our top C" floating around all the time.

I bet once we all forget about AG for a bit he will start to strike and return to form.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008

you use to blame MT and DD instead of see what was the problem... Now, you see who is galchy... sorry men... You may have being wrong on your analysis over a 1rst line center.

Right now Galchy is not good and look as he doesn't care. ANY HOCHEY PLAYER only dream for a minute in the NHL. I was playing in a LHJMQ arena for a tournament the last 2 days, love every minute of it.

Galchy is to blame, was giving a lot since in the league. What a waste of talent... Hell of a good start, but since he is back from injury...

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
In before Galchenyuk blows up during the Playoffs, puts all his critics to shame and wins the Conn Smythe!

I believe if anyone can do it, it's him. The kid has so much talent, he's bound to blow up during Playoffs (and play like he did the end of last season/beginning of this season).

Go Chucky, prove everyone wrong!!

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
In before Galchenyuk blows up during the Playoffs, puts all his critics to shame and wins the Conn Smythe!

I believe if anyone can do it, it's him. The kid has so much talent, he's bound to blow up during Playoffs (and play like he did the end of last season/beginning of this season).

Go Chucky, prove everyone wrong!!

I would love that. Play the hero! If he get the Conn Smythe, we have the cup!

But right now it'S a very very very long shoot!

Hope your right! GO Galchy! Start playing Hockey FGS!

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I was watching AG's highlights and goals from earlier this season, and I wondered what the hell happened to him!? I swear he actually had speed and was hustling so much more.

Anyone thinks he might've hit the gym a little too much and could benefit from dropping to 200lbs to gain more speed and agility ? nhl.com lists him as 210 but he does seem heavier these days.

There were rumours that he was out of shape. I can't remember where I saw it but does anybody know something about that ?

Um, his knee injury? Even if he's strong enough to skate, it could be several more months before he has his skating back to normal.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Agree but it should apply to both sides.

AG isn't a 3rd line winger, but he isn't also an elite franchise 1C in the mold of McDavid/Crosby/Schieflie or other top 10 1C's.

He hasn't been the same since coming back from injury but he still has put up points and his line has been playing pretty well lately.

I think CJ needs to deflect the pressure off him. I would like for the organization to basically say AG is a failure so media/fans stop paying attention to him so he can focus on hockey without all the "when will he be our top C" floating around all the time.

I bet once we all forget about AG for a bit he will start to strike and return to form.

With all due respect Adam, we have no idea what his upside is. 5 years in the league where Galchenyuk has played probably less than a full year in total at centre. This on a team where the GM proclaimed him as a centre, yet, in cahoots with the coach, had him playing wing mostly. The questionable development in this franchise isn't restricted to the AHL.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

He suffered a long term knee injury in the middle of the season.

It's pretty hard to do cardio when you're ordered to not exert your knee. He was put of shape, and is a step behind because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad