"Alex Galchenyuk has arrived."

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It has been a thing since the Chelios trade to assassinate the character of any player who leaves the Habs on bad terms.

But anyway, funny for someone to come in and say he can't play centre when Tocchet has been pretty happy so far with everything he's seen from Chuck. I don't see that changing anytime soon. It'll be fun to watch the squirming excuses when Chuck is a top six centre scoring goals in the Pacific division.

The only fear I have with Galchenyuk is he was heavily sheltered when playing center with the habs, more so than Desharnais. I have never seen him take regular top line vs top line shifts. He's got talented though and habs pulled the plug early so hopefully he shows Arizona some good stuff long term.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Apparently Galchenyuk's Coyotes' Luck has also arrived. He's out with a lower-body injury - and from what I gather from Twitter, it might not be a quick recovery.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Reactions: Matias Maccete

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Cement feet? He was flying the other night. Relatively quickly, too. I’ve watched quite a few videos of him and not once did I even consider him being slow. This is a false assessment.

I’ve watched him play hundreds of games. He has had issues with foot speed. Maybe he addressed this in the summer - doubt it - but you will see he has a hard time winning puck battles and at times keeping up with the play. Wait till you see him battle down low in the defensive end and come back and tell me he has good foot speed.

If you have someone to retrieve pucks and get him the puck in space in the o zone he will pot goals, lots of them. Not sure why this opinion triggers so many people. I called 30 goals, not going to make him into a player he isn’t. It was a great deal for the Yotes IMO.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Not sure why this opinion triggers so many people.

Probably the hyperbole. The only time he came close to cement feet is when he returned too early from injury in 16-17. Otherwise he isn't Paul Byron and he has never been a good defensive forward but he is more than capable of handling play on a top six. He gets in place.

Any updates on his mysterious injury?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Probably the hyperbole. The only time he came close to cement feet is when he returned too early from injury in 16-17. Otherwise he isn't Paul Byron and he has never been a good defensive forward but he is more than capable of handling play on a top six. He gets in place.

Any updates on his mysterious injury?

The official release is that he is "week to week" with a lower body injury.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He doesn't look anything like the negative caricature a lot of the Canadian media/Habs fans had drawn up. That goal was pure effort.

4 points in 4 games. so far so good.
The problem was consistency. He had many stretches of games in Montreal looking like a world beater only to look confused and lethargic for the next 5-10 games. Then play with fire for a dozen games. Then disappear for 10. I don’t think anyone denies the talent.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
+16 goal differential for the Coyotes with him in the lineup as well, last four games.

I didn't catch the first five games but it seemed like the team was doing the right things without getting the result. Having Galchenyuk back probably makes doing the right thing that much easier for everyone.

Reactions: DAChampion

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Even if he hovers around 50-60 points this year because he missed games, is learning a new system and gaining chemistry, we have him next year in his most crucial contract year. If he is ever going to hit 70 points it will be next season. Now hopefully he can hit those numbers, and hopefully we can pay the man if he does.

Reactions: DAChampion

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No doubt in my mind that he's a center after tonight's game. He played a 2oo foot game along with scoring his first goal and getting his 3rd assist.
He has been getting better each game since his return from injury.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Meanwhile, Max Domi took a very selfish, stupid penalty late in Montreal's game last night.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Even if he hovers around 50-60 points this year because he missed games, is learning a new system and gaining chemistry, we have him next year in his most crucial contract year. If he is ever going to hit 70 points it will be next season. Now hopefully he can hit those numbers, and hopefully we can pay the man if he does.

After Therrien and Julien he might be the first player with a clause to follow Tocchet wherever he goes. Finally having a coach that trusts him to play his game, he's been waiting for this since he was drafted. I don't see him leaving unless Tocchet leaves or he loses favour with him.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
@Captain Subban dont underestimate our ownership's lack of funds. We are going to need to pay Keller soon too. I doubt he would leave AZ in two years because he doesn't enjoy it. But ifnhe wants 8m a year and we offer 6.5 it will be a tough decision for him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
After Therrien and Julien he might be the first player with a clause to follow Tocchet wherever he goes. Finally having a coach that trusts him to play his game, he's been waiting for this since he was drafted. I don't see him leaving unless Tocchet leaves or he loses favour with him.
That's a lot after just 4 games???

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
@Captain Subban dont underestimate our ownership's lack of funds. We are going to need to pay Keller soon too. I doubt he would leave AZ in two years because he doesn't enjoy it. But ifnhe wants 8m a year and we offer 6.5 it will be a tough decision for him.

Honestly I think he would take a lesser contract to stay with a team that won't screw with him. I won't claim insider knowledge but I've heard he didn't buy the house in Arizona until he talked to Coyotes management and saw how much they believed in him and how aligned they were with what kind of player he thought he was.

Summer of 2020 will have a lot of tough decisions for the Coyotes but if this year goes as well as I think it could, I could see him re-signing in the summer on an extension that won't break the bank to anyone. Maybe something similar to Turris' contract with Nashville but at 2019 price.

People in Montreal liked to assume his dad was the classic meddler but he just wanted his son to play and be happy. In Arizona he gets to play and be happy. I think that will end up more important than making $10M+ and find himself on say the Isles with an old coach that thinks he should be a winger again.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
That's a lot after just 4 games???

Ain't just regular season. The way Chayka and Tocchet have talked about him all summer and exhibition before his injury and the way they handled him on his return from injury is a lot of trust but managing minutes to work out the rust. If this was Montreal he would be returning on the third line centred by Plekanec. Tocchet puts him with Keller and tells him to play his game. Maybe this seems obvious to you, but you don't know how things were in Montreal. They rushed him to return from injury, he struggled because of it, which made Claude Julien decide that Philip Danault was a better 1C choice and that Chuck should play fourth line wing. That's where he's coming from.

And I know I'm sounding like I'm coddling the guy but honestly haven't watched a young player be screwed with this bad in a long time. Maybe Nail Yakupov got it worse in Edmonton but Chuck proved himself countless times in Montreal that he could play centre and the team that needed a centre went through two coaches and a GM who said nah not happening. I have never seen that before. This wasn't a one season thing. This has been his entire career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad