Alex Edler - Part II

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
But that's basing his play on his +/-

I don't think Weber leaves his man alone in front. Slams pucks into shin pads from the point nightly.

Edler is the most frustrating player on the team. It's like he forgot what got him here.

Painful to watch.

That's because Weber shots go through bodies. :sarcasm:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Tyler Dellow with some sanity on Alex Edler. Seems the team hasn't been any worse defensively with him on the ice, he's only a minus because the team can't score (which is not something repeatable for defencemen):

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/its-more-about-the-team-than-the-player/

uh, something advanced stats!??! too deep and uh, what i see on the ice is [advanced psychological profile]. basically freudian analysis says something something, bad player

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
now if hed just play with some moxie, some jam, some grunk and spid, he might get the confidence necessary to make the plays. though, he is swedish, and this confirms his blood is a different colour, so maybe ???

Wetcoaster

Here is Tortorella on what the coaching staff is trying to get Edler to change - skate out the puck more. See the 4:18 mark:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tyler Dellow with some sanity on Alex Edler. Seems the team hasn't been any worse defensively with him on the ice, he's only a minus because the team can't score (which is not something repeatable for defencemen):

Yeah, anyone barking up the plus/minus tree is completely off the mark. He struggled early in the season when Tortorella was experimenting with Edler as a 25+ minute franchise defenseman, but after that he's been okay at 5v5. I do think his progress has completely stalled and you basically know what you're getting, but that's okay.

The only alarming thing for me is his play on the power play. He's always been an elite power play performer, but he has looked completely out of sorts at times this year. But who hasn't?

I'm not in a rush to move Edler unless the return is worthwhile (my ol' Edler + Hansen for ROR gambit). Otherwise I just keep him on the team.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Another victim of the Canucks fans overrating a player and him not living up to expectations.

Edler was only really good when he was playing with Ehrhoff. Outside of that nothing special.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Edler wasn't as good as people thought he was… and he's not as bad as people think he is now. He's never been great defensively… we just need the offence (confidence?) to come back. It's not as if Edler is the kind of guy to be mailing it in… if anything he's trying too hard. My money says he eventually figures it out enough to be a core player and catalyst on our team.

I'm a fan and an optimist so I realize how this probably sounds… but… imo Edler/Tanev can develop into a great top pairing. Big, strong and unpredictable with slight, agile and steady.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Bububut Edler's a terrible player who has regressed into an ECHLer and you should feel terrible for defending him! :sarcasm:

sure most guys calling out Edler treat him exactly that way right?

I know you used the sarcasm smiley but really....?

Another victim of the Canucks fans overrating a player and him not living up to expectations.

Edler was only really good when he was playing with Ehrhoff. Outside of that nothing special.

Pretty much the part in bold, a really good MPG 1/2nd pairing type of guy but any talk of the Norris and potential is behind him now.

A usefull guy but if over rated he stays here and what you see is what you get.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014

This is an exercise in excuse making. Every other D-man is judged by the same stat.

Edler is the worst in this category.

We've all seen his giveaways and inability to clear the front of the net this year. In fact, when I checked back in late January his giveaway/takeaway ratio was minus 9.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
This is an exercise in excuse making. Every other D-man is judged by the same stat.

We've all seen his giveaways and inability to clear the front of the net this year. In fact, when I checked back in late January his giveaway/takeaway ratio was minus 9.

1.) Did you read the article?

2.) Accusing Tyler Dellow of making excuses for the Canucks is hilarious.

3.) It's a good thing he's giving up 3 goals for every giveaway then. Sounds pretty legit to me :sarcasm:

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
1.) Did you read the article?

2.) Accusing Tyler Dellow of making excuses for the Canucks is hilarious.

3.) It's a good thing he's giving up 3 goals for every giveaway then. Sounds pretty legit to me :sarcasm:

Yes I read the article. It doesn't address the fact that his stat is still the WORST vis a vis his teammates who play on the same inept offense.

I don't think you understand how the giveaway/takeway stat works.

If Alex Edler can score his career low in points since 2007-08 AND go -29 and suck on the PP, and people still defend him as a 5.0 million dollar prize back there, I'm guessing he could steal your car and you'd still feel the same way.

Reading this site, people defend Gillis, defend Torts, defend Edler, defend Burrows, defend the Twins, etc. I'm trying to guess when any of these individuals deserve criticism for the worst season of their careers?

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada

Ok, then explain to me why Dan Hamhuis leads the team with 61 giveaways and has only 39 takeaways. A whopping difference of 22.

Please read the article and learn to understand why some stats are misleading.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

His best season in terms of points was when Ehrhoff wasn't on the team.

Nice try though buddy.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Ok, then explain to me why Dan Hamhuis leads the team with 61 giveaways and has only 39 takeaways. A whopping difference of 22.

Please read the article and learn to understand why some stats are misleading.

You're right. Despite his -29 Alex Edler is having a phenomenal season.

That stat is misleading and he is completely dominant out there on both ends of the ice.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Yes I read the article. It doesn't address the fact that his stat is still the WORST vis a vis his teammates who play on the same inept offense.

I don't think you understand how the giveaway/takeway stat works.

If Alex Edler can score his career low in points since 2007-08 AND go -29 and suck on the PP, and people still defend him as a 5.0 million dollar prize back there, I'm guessing he could steal your car and you'd still feel the same way.

Reading this site, people defend Gillis, defend Torts, defend Edler, defend Burrows, defend the Twins, etc. I'm trying to guess when any of these individuals deserve criticism for the worst season of their careers?

I really don't think YOU understand how takeaways/giveaways work.

You cherry-pick that stat for Edler yet don't point out that Hamhuis leads the team with 61 giveaways and has only 39 takeaways. Bieksa has 49 giveaways and 27 takeaways.

Both have a bigger difference than Edler's 29 giveaways and 21 takeaways. Hamhuis: -22, Bieksa: -22, Edler: -8

Wouldn't that make him better?

Your argument is flawed. Takeaways and giveaways are not reliable stats.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
You're right. Despite his -29 Alex Edler is having a phenomenal season.

That stat is misleading and he is completely dominant out there on both ends of the ice.

Who said he is having a phenomenal season? Me? you? No one here is saying he is having a phenomenal season.

I think you're over-reacting to things that haven't even been said.

If +/- is so reliable then explain to me why Ryan Kesler, our defensive god is -13? That is 2nd worst on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad