Alex Edler - Part II

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Edler-Bieksa hasn't worked but to be fair Bieksa has looked mistake prone 90% of his time in the top 4. There's a reason why he's been slowly slipping down the RD depth chart the last 3 seasons.

Edler-Corrado looked decent in a very small sample size. Corrado looks like an AHL player (for now) so Edler had to carry him.

Edler-Diaz has looked solid in a small sample size. Diaz plays more of the ideal style Edler should be paired with. Most consider Diaz a decent #5 so Edler has been carrying him in a top 4 role.

Edler-Garrison hasn't looked good but Edler cannot play his off-side and Garrison really hasn't looked good as the RD unless paired with a bonafide top 30 Dman in Hamhuis or Campbell. For a very short stint Edler-Garrison did look good which is to be expected with 2 bonafide top 4 guys.

Edler-Rome was carried by Edler.

Edler-Tanev makes too much sense to be used by Sullivan.

You just made an excuse for Edler for every pair hasn't worked… congrats! Interesting that Hamhuis and Garrison have both had nice runs with Bieksa but Edler can't because Bieksa is "mistake prone 90% of the time". What does that make Edler? Mistake prone 99% of the time?

Edler has never carried a partner.

Edler did look much better last night imo, especially with the puck.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
You just made an excuse for Edler for every pair hasn't worked… congrats! Interesting that Hamhuis and Garrison have both had nice runs with Bieksa but Edler can't because Bieksa is "mistake prone 90% of the time". What does that make Edler? Mistake prone 99% of the time?

Edler has never carried a partner.

Edler did look much better last night imo, especially with the puck.

This is my point with Edler. He will never be the player leading a pairing. However, when he is being led, he is by far our best complimentary defenseman. He is a very good #2, but he is not and will never be a #1. Which is perfectly fine. His role switch by management from complimentary to leader is what is screwing him up.

Realistically, we don't have any D-men who can lead a pairing... they are all complimentary guys... We got rid of Ehrhoff and Salo, who were both great leaders.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Did anyone think Edler had one of his worst games as a Canuck last night?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Did anyone think Edler had one of his worst games as a Canuck last night?

Who knows. I think that could be asked about a lot of the Canucks last night.

All I really have to say about Edler is that I hope he agrees to waive and allows the team to trade him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who knows. I think that could be asked about a lot of the Canucks last night.

All I really have to say about Edler is that I hope he agrees to waive and allows the team to trade him.

My sentiments as well.
Trade Kesler and Edler this off season and let's get on with it. Our defence is pretty solid already and will be even without Edler. Get some young offensive players and draft picks back that can help the team long term.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Edler-Bieksa looked bad last year, but that was mostly on Bieksa who was playing injured.

To be honest they haven't looked half bad when they've played together this year.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
My sentiments as well.
Trade Kesler and Edler this off season and let's get on with it. Our defence is pretty solid already and will be even without Edler. Get some young offensive players and draft picks back that can help the team long term.

This is just my opinion, but I think we could trade Edler for a real nice return and slide Corrado into the roster and not be any worse for it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is just my opinion, but I think we could trade Edler for a real nice return and slide Corrado into the roster and not be any worse for it.

I agree with you. I've always been reluctant to trade Edler because I thought he could turn into this number one defenceman that we've seen glimpses of. At this point though I think what you see is what you get. A very good number two or so defenceman who is prone to mistakes. The one hole we'd have is someone for the powerplay but given how bad it's been this year I don't see how it can get much worse.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I agree with you. I've always been reluctant to trade Edler because I thought he could turn into this number one defenceman that we've seen glimpses of. At this point though I think what you see is what you get. A very good number two or so defenceman who is prone to mistakes. The one hole we'd have is someone for the powerplay but given how bad it's been this year I don't see how it can get much worse.

This is the Canucks, it can get much much worse before it gets any better.

Losing Edler also means we lose any semblance of consistent physicality on the backend. They already get pushed around and Edler has really been the only one with any push back.

Darwin101

Mar 9, 2014
Analysis of Edler

What is the consensus of Edler's play this year?

If you look at the advanced stats -- ie. corsi, he comes out looking pretty good. But is this a case of advanced stats failing to capture the whole picture?

Most people would agree through observation that he hasn't had a very good year, and basic stats, such as his dreadful -27, seem to back these observations up.

But again, his CF% is one of the best on the team? How do we square that circle?

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I was half cut last night and playing pool while watching the game so I didn't get to pay close attention but from what I saw of Edler is he was awful last night..

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
He's been a victim of bad luck. The team's on-ice shooting percentage with him on the ice is about half of what it usually is, and of course that's going to be reflected in a bad +/-.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think he's a very good defenseman (as evidenced by the underlying numbers) who is completely overwhelmed by this terrible season (as evidenced by the numbers on the surface). He's had a pretty bad year for the most part, but he's much, much better than this.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Shea Weber is currently -13. I think even the best defenseman struggle when their teams are so bad and can't score.

arsmaster*

Shea Weber is currently -13. I think even the best defenseman struggle when their teams are so bad and can't score.

But that's basing his play on his +/-

I don't think Weber leaves his man alone in front. Slams pucks into shin pads from the point nightly.

Edler is the most frustrating player on the team. It's like he forgot what got him here.

Painful to watch.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Edler has been utterly horrible this year. The team is better with him out of the lineup and it's a case of advanced stats lying.

Zero compete level, clueless defensively, absolutely bleeds odd-man rushes against.

If you want to get really pissed off, go back and watch his first shift of the 3rd period in the Dallas game. His compete level would be a joke in a beer league.

Edler should have been the player we were doing anything/everything to get rid of at the deadline, not Kesler.

arsmaster*

Edler has been utterly horrible this year. The team is better with him out of the lineup and it's a case of advanced stats lying.

Zero compete level, clueless defensively, absolutely bleeds odd-man rushes against.

If you want to get really pissed off, go back and watch his first shift of the 3rd period in the Dallas game. His compete level would be a joke in a beer league.

Edler should have been the player we were doing anything/everything to get rid of at the deadline, not Kesler.

Agreed. You want to get rid of the indifferent seeming players not the ones you can see genuinely care the team is in disarray.

Could be that he's Swedish and I just can't relate. I'm emotional so I find myself liking and relating to players that outwardly care more. Another reason edler pisses me off. Nothing seems to bother him. Including his brutal on ice play. I guess that's what $30m does to you.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Scott Hannan was a minus 21 one year on an awful Colorado team.

If it can happen to Scott Hannan, it can happen to anybody.

ANYBODY

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
I didn't think he was completely awful defensively last night , but offensively he was absolute garbage. I don't know how many times he took terribly weak shots with players right in front of him (3-4 times in one shift). It was pretty sad.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Edler's +\- is so bad because he's out there with the Sedins, and the Sedins aren't doing jack **** offensively.

Pretty much. Being offensive D-man with high QoC, stuck with forwards with nothing in performance you get that minus. Edler was good in the Olympics and took OEL's spot paired with E.K. He performed well on a team with good D-players overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad