Rumor: Alex Chiasson wants to remain an Oiler

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
If I was in his shoes. I'd want a long term deal (minimum 3 years). This could very well be his last chance to strike it rich and set himself and his family up for the future, so accepting a low ball offer would be stupid.

He'll probably hit 25+ goals this season with an outside shot of 30, so he should have some leverage on his side.
What's a low ball offer when he's never made more than $1.2M in a season and is currently making 650K?

If he waits until free agency or gets traded I could easily see him ending up like Glencross, Franson, Tlusty, Dominic Moore, etc--guys who thought they were going to get much better offers on the open market but instead ended up screwing themselves over by turning down an extension. I don't think there's going to be a bidding war over Alex Chiasson. I think it's far more likely we're in a mid-August and there's a "why isn't Alex Chiasson signed?" thread.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
He's smart to stay. Look what ended up happening to Maroon after he left. Sometimes it's better to just hold on to the sure thing. Not like he has a lot of competition at wing on the Oilers

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for letting us know that you don't watch Oilers games
Living in Calgary I actually do.
Are you actually saying that Rattie, Kassian, and Puljujarv are better RW's than Chiasson? LOL. Thats good one!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Chiasson is smart he will wait this out. If he has a great year he can not only use that as leverage, but also that the Oil have jack diddly at wing and they're back to square one with an option they have to hope will work.

Don't over think it, Alex. Just play hockey

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Uggh. Don’t want to sign him to any extension whatsoever. He hasn’t looked good for a couple weeks now. Would rather play out the season with him - possibly deal him if we’re way out by the deadline - then re-visit a 1 year deal or PTO in the off-season. If he can strike it rich elsewhere, have at er, but this guy should not be part of our long term plans.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Honestly, this is not shocking. Chiasson is 28 years old and in 7 years since leaving BU, he's played in 6 different cities, only spending more than 1 season in Ottawa, where he spent 2

It's shocking that he'd pick Edmonton of all cities to lay down roots in though, yikes.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I’m mixed I would be ok with extending him for a couple years at league minimum or trading him at the deadline for a 1st OA. He would be valuable for our run as he was already to the cup final last year, that type of experience is rare and valuable.

Reactions: flamesforcup

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
He knows that the Oilers overpay almost every contract they sign. Of course he wants to sign there.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I’m mixed I would be ok with extending him for a couple years at league minimum or trading him at the deadline for a 1st OA. He would be valuable for our run as he was already to the cup final last year, that type of experience is rare and valuable.

Assuming you meant a 1st, there is zero way Chiasson returns a 1st. Everyone and their brother knows that his production is, at least in part, due to playing with elite centers like Drai and McDavid. He isn't a productive top sixer under any normal circumstances. Then consider the fact that this deadline period is flooded with legitimate top six wingers and you might not even get a 2nd for him.

Reactions: Seanaconda

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
If the Oilers are sellers then they can trade Chiasson as a rental, get a pick or something, and then sign him in the off season.

Yeah chiasson played here in Ottawa im just now seeing his goal totals xD but yeah i doubt he's worth much anyways.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He goes down to 10 goals next year after signing a ludicrous 3 year 3 million per year contract

Reactions: Beerfish

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Oilers should offer him a short term near min deal. Knowing these clowns it will be an over pay and an over term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad