Rumor: Alex Chiasson wants to remain an Oiler

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Why ? He is scoring and gets to play top six due to lack of depth . It’s probably fun. We signed him for 600k . If he stays here and repeats it he could revive his career

Oh no, I'm not saying he's bad, or that his situation isn't good. I want him to stay.

Just not everyday you see someone want to stay here. Maybe Chia being fired relieved some tension in the offices.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They should trade him at the deadline with the "promise" to look for his name on the free agent list on July 1st.

Yes, exactly.

You like it here? Great. Help make your future team better by bringing us a couple picks at the deadline and we’ll give you a ring July 6th or so.

He went on a PDO bender, now he’s coming back to earth. He’s a useful player, sure, but giving him term wouldn’t be smart. 2 years at most, and deal him at the deadline.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Oh no, I'm not saying he's bad, or that his situation isn't good. I want him to stay.

Just not everyday you see someone want to stay here. Maybe Chia being fired relieved some tension in the offices.
Not that many people have hated it here when they have been playing well themselves . It’s basically when the city turns on them / They were lowballed by management

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I would like to see him back but I don't think the Oilers should be re-signing their UFAs until the new GM takes over.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Not that many people have hated it here when they have been playing well themselves . It’s basically when the city turns on them / They were lowballed by management

yeah, gotta start piling on some wins before the torches come out. At least Chia isn't here anymore to make things worse.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Shouldnt go over 2 mil a year because if he doesnt keep his scoring touch he becomes Kassian, an overpaid grinder.

Give him another 1 year prove it deal if he wants more $ but more years should have lower term since he gets some career stability/guaranteed income.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I don't think that has anything to do with it. He likely wants some stability. He's played in 4 cities in 4 years and 6 cities in 7 years since turning pro.
there is a reason for it...he has had success this year however he is the definition of a journeyman NHL player and is completely replaceable on most teams. If they resign him, as a flames fan it would be nice to see 4x$4M however I would really hope they keep it to 2 yrs at less than $2 M per

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Shouldnt go over 2 mil a year because if he doesnt keep his scoring touch he becomes Kassian, an overpaid grinder.

Give him another 1 year prove it deal if he wants more $ but more years should have lower term since he gets some career stability/guaranteed income.

Players like Chaisson should be living on one year prove it deals. There's no reason to give him more than that, there is no untapped potential there. He fits well where he is, but if he is surpassed by anyone he has no place.

At least Kassian has the ability to be worth close to his contract, he just lacks motivation to do it consistently. Chaisson is what he is, and doesn't bring the type of physicality or intimidation that Kassian can at times.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
yeah, gotta start piling on some wins before the torches come out. At least Chia isn't here anymore to make things worse.
Idk unless he gets overpaid Chiasson will be fine . Drai will be my bet for who the fans turn on if the team doesn’t start winning , not because he can’t play without McDavid just because he looks visibly lazy / disinterested at times . ( mostly when he has to play with scrubs on the second line )

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Based on his career numbers and using the ballpark of 100k per point, the 2.5-3m per year range seems fair.

If he wants stability, he might be willing to take a lower AAV for term.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A small one year deal is what he should expect,he hasnt proven to be consistent enough to warrant anything longer

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
If I was in his shoes. I'd want a long term deal (minimum 3 years). This could very well be his last chance to strike it rich and set himself and his family up for the future, so accepting a low ball offer would be stupid.

He'll probably hit 25+ goals this season with an outside shot of 30, so he should have some leverage on his side.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He’s a bottom 6 player yet on the Oilers he’s cemented a top 6 spot as we only have 3 top 6 players. Of course he wants to stay and be very likely overpaid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad