Alex Burrows Appreciation Thread

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
He's been good lately, no question.

I have to say, I thought he was done. I was thinking this could end in a Chris Higgins type situation.

Looks like I was wrong. I don't think I'd offer him another contract, but he's played very will with Horvat. That seems like a nice fit.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He's been good recently.
But I won't resign him, a pending UFA veteran plays his ass off, get a nice contract but then suck again...
We've seen this too many times

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If he keeps this play up I'd re-sign him, nothing huge or with term, if he wants to stay I'd do 3 mill for one year if his play stays, if not I'd give him a job with the Canucks and for him to retire. I like having Burrows around, the guy bleeds Canucks.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I would offer him a one year 1 million dollar contract. Anything over 1.5 is extreme overpayment in my eyes. I love the guy even though i know some people will balk at this view. We will see how things unfold, maybe he gets traded this deadline, but i would rather him stay around for cheap as a mentor

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Turf the current designated mentor, re-sign Burrows to that same deal. 2 years, 2.65M per. Team gets better and saves cap space. Worst case scenario if Burrows regresses into being useless, the value of the contract is the same as the status quo. Everyone wins.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
If he keeps this play up I'd re-sign him, nothing huge or with term, if he wants to stay I'd do 3 mill for one year if his play stays, if not I'd give him a job with the Canucks and for him to retire. I like having Burrows around, the guy bleeds Canucks.

I might say 2M tops, but yeah.

Can't write the guy off. Anyone that goes from ball hockey to a long NHL career knows more than a bit about proving people wrong. He's just the kind of guy I want around our young players.

There will come a time that all the moxie in the world won't cut it any more, then he can get a job somewhere in the organization.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
If a 36-year-old Burrows gets a multi-year, $5M+ contract, Benning should be fired on the spot.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
At his age, I'd potentially kick tires on a one year, low base salary (but incentive-laden) contract

Agree his play has been one of the more pleasant surprises of this year. I love Burr as much as the next guy and value his leadership/work ethic/defense/etc etc... even just his *story* is immensely valuable imho ~ a guy who battled his way up from the ECHL to become this invaluable blue collar top six forward...like talk about inspirational and something almost anyone could probably learn a thing or two from... would love to keep him but I'd be hesitant to crack open the wallet *too much* given it may be hard for him to sustain this level of play.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
If a 36-year-old Burrows gets a multi-year, $5M+ contract, Benning should be fired on the spot.

In what universe would that happen? Really, you could give him a 1 to 8 year contract at this point and all those years wont add up to 5 million.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I had no doubt that Burrows was still an NHL player. It's just that he had almost zero chance of being worth his cap hit this season. I would trade him at the deadline and I'm actually open to re-signing him to a one year $1M deal or so contract if he is willing to take it.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I had no doubt that Burrows was still an NHL player. It's just that he had almost zero chance of being worth his cap hit this season. I would trade him at the deadline and I'm actually open to re-signing him to a one year $1M deal or so contract if he is willing to take it.

Burrows was underpaid on his old deal at $2 million, but way overpaid on his current deal at $4.5 million.

Average the 8 years out and it was $3.25 per over 8.

He should be dealt by the tdl. See what happens. Would hope there are better options to replace him in the summer.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
In what universe would that happen? Really, you could give him a 1 to 8 year contract at this point and all those years wont add up to 5 million.
Did you read the posts above mine saying 2 x $2.65/year or $3M/year?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I might say 2M tops, but yeah.

Can't write the guy off. Anyone that goes from ball hockey to a long NHL career knows more than a bit about proving people wrong. He's just the kind of guy I want around our young players.

There will come a time that all the moxie in the world won't cut it any more, then he can get a job somewhere in the organization.

Honestly 2-3 mill what's the big deal if we can get him on 1 year deals, it's won't handicap when we need to re-sign younger kids, as long as we don't give him term I'm good with a 3 million a year contract if his play keeps up, if we don't give that cap space to him we may use the extra to do something stupid again with a UFA, with that in mind maybe we should give him 5 million haha jk

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I'll appreciate him a lot more if he gets us a 3rd.

As much as I love Burrows (he's literally my fave Canuck), I'm pretty sure this is what management is hoping for as well. That he plays the way he's playing right now for the rest of the season, and they can trade him for a great pick or a younger forward with some upside. The team needs to restock the pantry and everyone knows it. It's pretty barren in there, especially at the forward position. With Virtanen not really meeting expectations -- and if Boesser doesn't pan out into a top 6 forward -- we've pretty much got nothing up front for young talent to replace the Sedins.

Doesn't help that the Canucks seem seriously cursed to never ever get a #1 pick at the draft. At this point I think it's about as unlikely as us winning a cup during my lifetime.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Some early morning opining on Burrows seeing as his name is once again a target in the press, courtesy of a disappointing ex-NHL player trying to drum up publicity so he can sell a book.

Whenever one of these incidents come up, the media seem to focus on Butrows as if he is the only person to have ever crossed into personal territory with his trash talk, which is being willfully ignorant of some of the more colourful characters to play the game for the sake of taking a stab at a player you dislike personally (Burrows).

Also frequently lost in all of this nonsense is how when Burrows came into the league, he wasn't far removed from riding the bus around the ECHL. He wasn't some high draft pick or a touted prospect, or even a vaunted free agent signing. He was some older kid who came into a Canucks' Prospect Camp one year and did well enough to earn not a contract with the Canucks, but the Moose. I remember attending the inter squad games that they played at that camp that year - I think Burrows had five goals and ten points in two inter squad games. Even then, he wasn't seen fit for an NHL contract - it took Craig Heisinger giving him a shot, a year of toiling in the ECHL, and injuries giving him an opportunity in the AHL which he seized as first a bottom six grinder, and then as a point a game top six player the following year, before he finally blipped on the big league radar.

He scratched and clawed his way from that day to the NHL...is it any wonder he would do and say anything he had to to stay there? He didn't have the luxury of getting repeated chances and long leashes that drafted prospects (like that disappointing ex-NHL player) got. He subsisted in the league on sheer effort alone and established himself as a bonafide NHL player in his own right before ever playing with the Sedin Twins.

That's a myth some people like to perpetuate about him; like Burrows is some lousy player who never would have sniffed the NHL without Daniel and Henrik. That is once again just being willfully ignorant. Before he ever played with them, he was an extremely effective third line player, a fixture on the PK, and had already developed a penchant for being involved with big goals for the team, something that would end up being a staple of his career. If the Twins could turn absolute nobodies into stars, I must have missed seeing Jason King or Jesse Schultz or Jan Bulis scoring thirty goals in a season. The Sedins can bring out the best in players, but if there isn't a good foundation of a hockey player there at the start, it's not going to work. Burrows has a great hockey IQ and a nose for goal scoring areas, not to mention a willingness to get that nose dirty. That's what made him a successful wingman for the Twins.

I also see the same old pissing and moaning from other teams' media surrounding "how can canucks fans really like Burrows? In light of saying things that cross the line?" I feel like a broken record, but it's willful ignorance again. Every team in the league employs players who cross the line. The ones that make death threats, or racist slurs, or homophobic slurs, or comments about wives and girlfriends, pretty much all of it has been said and done by at least one member of each team in the league, to say nothing of dirty/predatory play in general. Yet somehow when the lens turns on Burrows, it's as if he's the only guy that has ever done it? Yeah, right.

My two cents on why Burrows is so loved here is because perhaps more than anyone, he represents Vancouver as a city and an organization. Fighting, kicking and screaming to prove we belong next to the more storied Canadian franchises with their Stanley Cups and their Hall of Fame heroes. While the Sedins are paragons of virtue and the role models I hold up for my kids, Burrows is the every day fan on HF Boards, constantly defending himself and justifying his place amongst the rest. The guy is twelve games away from 800, which will be just another giant middle finger to disappointing, highly drafted ex-NHL players who played less than half of that. That he got there on effort and will power and a relentless desire to improve himself and give his all for his team - goals, antics, words and all - are why he is adored here. He is the quintessential "rather play with him than against him" player.

So to the people who lambaste Burrows as the only guy to have ever crossed the line, they can stuff it in their hypocritical mouths. And for those mostly the same people who question how we could possibly be a fan of or defend such a player, we are our own judges of character and heart. And Burrows has both in spades from my perspective.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

So to the people who lambaste Burrows as the only guy to have ever crossed the line, they can stuff it in their hypocritical mouths. And for those mostly the same people who question how we could possibly be a fan of or defend such a player, we are our own judges of character and heart. And Burrows has both in spades from my perspective.

Well timed, and well said. :clap:

I was expecting him to be gone, and I'm glad he's still here. Burrows is all heart.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Some early morning opining on Burrows seeing as his name is once again a target in the press, courtesy of a disappointing ex-NHL player trying to drum up publicity so he can sell a book.

Whenever one of these incidents come up, the media seem to focus on Butrows as if he is the only person to have ever crossed into personal territory with his trash talk, which is being willfully ignorant of some of the more colourful characters to play the game for the sake of taking a stab at a player you dislike personally (Burrows).

Also frequently lost in all of this nonsense is how when Burrows came into the league, he wasn't far removed from riding the bus around the ECHL. He wasn't some high draft pick or a touted prospect, or even a vaunted free agent signing. He was some older kid who came into a Canucks' Prospect Camp one year and did well enough to earn not a contract with the Canucks, but the Moose. I remember attending the inter squad games that they played at that camp that year - I think Burrows had five goals and ten points in two inter squad games. Even then, he wasn't seen fit for an NHL contract - it took Craig Heisinger giving him a shot, a year of toiling in the ECHL, and injuries giving him an opportunity in the AHL which he seized as first a bottom six grinder, and then as a point a game top six player the following year, before he finally blipped on the big league radar.

He scratched and clawed his way from that day to the NHL...is it any wonder he would do and say anything he had to to stay there? He didn't have the luxury of getting repeated chances and long leashes that drafted prospects (like that disappointing ex-NHL player) got. He subsisted in the league on sheer effort alone and established himself as a bonafide NHL player in his own right before ever playing with the Sedin Twins.

That's a myth some people like to perpetuate about him; like Burrows is some lousy player who never would have sniffed the NHL without Daniel and Henrik. That is once again just being willfully ignorant. Before he ever played with them, he was an extremely effective third line player, a fixture on the PK, and had already developed a penchant for being involved with big goals for the team, something that would end up being a staple of his career. If the Twins could turn absolute nobodies into stars, I must have missed seeing Jason King or Jesse Schultz or Jan Bulis scoring thirty goals in a season. The Sedins can bring out the best in players, but if there isn't a good foundation of a hockey player there at the start, it's not going to work. Burrows has a great hockey IQ and a nose for goal scoring areas, not to mention a willingness to get that nose dirty. That's what made him a successful wingman for the Twins.

I also see the same old pissing and moaning from other teams' media surrounding "how can canucks fans really like Burrows? In light of saying things that cross the line?" I feel like a broken record, but it's willful ignorance again. Every team in the league employs players who cross the line. The ones that make death threats, or racist slurs, or homophobic slurs, or comments about wives and girlfriends, pretty much all of it has been said and done by at least one member of each team in the league, to say nothing of dirty/predatory play in general. Yet somehow when the lens turns on Burrows, it's as if he's the only guy that has ever done it? Yeah, right.

My two cents on why Burrows is so loved here is because perhaps more than anyone, he represents Vancouver as a city and an organization. Fighting, kicking and screaming to prove we belong next to the more storied Canadian franchises with their Stanley Cups and their Hall of Fame heroes. While the Sedins are paragons of virtue and the role models I hold up for my kids, Burrows is the every day fan on HF Boards, constantly defending himself and justifying his place amongst the rest. The guy is twelve games away from 800, which will be just another giant middle finger to disappointing, highly drafted ex-NHL players who played less than half of that. That he got there on effort and will power and a relentless desire to improve himself and give his all for his team - goals, antics, words and all - are why he is adored here. He is the quintessential "rather play with him than against him" player.

Preach it Mr C, take us to church.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah that was a phenomenal post and a treat to read, Mr C... :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad