Alex Burrows Appreciation Thread

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Burrows has been incredible during almost his entire career in Vancouver after his first full year. But he got injured this year, so I guess he's total trash and is stealing money from the organization. Great outlook some of you guys have. Really hope you're my bosses one day.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Burrows has been incredible during almost his entire career in Vancouver after his first full year. But he got injured this year, so I guess he's total trash and is stealing money from the organization. Great outlook some of you guys have. Really hope you're my bosses one day.

lol, can we just acknowledge he has been horrible this year while still being grateful for his services in the past?

yoss

May 25, 2011
I don't care if he doesn't score another goal for the rest of his career (okay yeah actually I do) I'll always be a fan.

Scored arguably the biggest goal in franchise history against the Hawks not to mention the OT winner against Boston, I don't know what's up but it's hardly like he's the only one struggling to put pucks in the net right now.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Yep, how fickle some fans can be.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
lol, can we just acknowledge he has been horrible this year while still being grateful for his services in the past?

Wanting to dump him for scraps is a rather strange way of acknowledging it while expressing your gratitude, from some of the posts I've seen.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wanting to dump him for scraps is a rather strange way of acknowledging it while expressing your gratitude, from some of the posts I've seen.

At this point id dump him for scraps to get his cap hit off the books. He had a nice cinderella career, but he's 33 now and clearly on the back nine as we've seen lately.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I agree with you but Mark Recci was nearly 44 yrs old with the Boston Bruins and still effective.Burrows seems he has lost it-his desire he is burnt out.He has been a very good player for team but I get feeling he is near the end

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
The guy took such a massive pay-cut for this team when things were going good but he gets rewarded with a bigger contract and now times are tough.

At least the guy has done something for this franchise, you can't say the same for someone like Booth who makes around the same but has achieved nothing of significance whatsoever.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The guy took such a massive pay-cut for this team when things were going good but he gets rewarded with a bigger contract and now times are tough.

At least the guy has done something for this franchise, you can't say the same for someone like Booth who makes around the same but has achieved nothing of significance whatsoever.

Burr signed that contract during his breakout year in 08-09 with the Sedins, two years after almost being out of the league after a terrible 06-07 season. It wasn't really looked at as a ''favour'' to the Canucks by Burrows but it turned out to be a great deal obviously.

John Bender*

At this point id dump him for scraps to get his cap hit off the books. He had a nice cinderella career, but he's 33 now and clearly on the back nine as we've seen lately.

He's had what? 30 games this year? He's an incredibly class player that has shown many times, year after year, his ability to score big goals, play great defense and be a great all round team guy. He has an injury plagued 30 game stretch and we declare his career over and trade him for scraps at 32?

No way.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver

I don't believe in paying players for their past in a salary cap system. Sure the New York Yankees can afford to overpay Jeter but what Burrows did in the past was nice and all but it doesn't mean we have to be a worse team now because of it. This is pro sports, it's not always fair, paying guys more than they're worth is a losers mentality.

Our top line will now be making 4.3 million dollars more per year than it did when they were at their peaks and producing more than they ever will going forward. We weren't good enough at that time with them making way less how are we going to win anything now? I'm a fan of forward thinking management not being sentimental and living in 2011 forever.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Burr signed that contract during his breakout year in 08-09 with the Sedins, two years after almost being out of the league after a terrible 06-07 season. It wasn't really looked at as a ''favour'' to the Canucks by Burrows but it turned out to be a great deal obviously.

A great deal where he played an amazing 4 years.

Whether you think he deserved to be signed to that contract or not, he played at a level so much higher than his pay grade that I think he's earned himself the benefit of the doubt in a season like this.

I don't believe in paying players for their past in a salary cap system. Sure the New York Yankees can afford to overpay Jeter but what Burrows did in the past was nice and all but it doesn't mean we have to be a worse team now because of it. This is pro sports, it's not always fair, paying guys more than they're worth is a losers mentality.

Our top line will now be making 4.3 million dollars more per year than it did when they were at their peaks and producing more than they ever will going forward. We weren't good enough at that time with them making way less how are we going to win anything now? I'm a fan of forward thinking management not being sentimental and living in 2011 forever.

Its not sentimental thinking when we're going to be playing in a cap world of 71m. If you look at their cap percentage compared to when the Sedins and Burrows signed their old deals, being paid 4.3m more is nothing.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
He's just been snakebitten (how many posts has he hit this year?), injured, and affected by slumping/ injured Sedins. He's going to break out at some point.

He is still working hard and doing a lot of things that create chances/ goals for teammates. There have been a number of goals scored where he has been screening the goaltender - basically creating the goal without even being credited with an assist.

The coaching staff recognizes that he has been doing a lot of positive things that don't show up on the scoresheet (Torts has said as much to the media) and he is being given quality minutes as a result. Plus he is, by all reports, a great team guy.

It's way too early to conclude that he is over the hill and it's ridiculous to suggest trading him for nothing simply to get rid of the contract.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Tied for second most shots in NHL history without a goal with someone. Craig adams has the record.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010

The cap goes up. That's how. Much more salary cap tied up in dead weight with less chance of a turnaround in Booth and Luongo than our top line. Who exactly would we replace them with? First liners don't grow on trees - they cost a fortune in a trade and they cost a fortune in free agency.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Even if Burrows doesn't score this season, I will always like him. There's just about nothing he can do to make me change my position on that.

Outside99*

He's just been snakebitten (how many posts has he hit this year?), injured, and affected by slumping/ injured Sedins. He's going to break out at some point.

He is still working hard and doing a lot of things that create chances/ goals for teammates. There have been a number of goals scored where he has been screening the goaltender - basically creating the goal without even being credited with an assist.

The coaching staff recognizes that he has been doing a lot of positive things that don't show up on the scoresheet (Torts has said as much to the media) and he is being given quality minutes as a result. Plus he is, by all reports, a great team guy.

It's way too early to conclude that he is over the hill and it's ridiculous to suggest trading him for nothing simply to get rid of the contract.

I remember when this happened to Guy Lafleur under a new coach (Lemaire) and his system...

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2009/11/26/1174682/25-years-ago-today-the-surprise

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I appreciate what you did, Burrows.

There. Can we all move on, now? Let's trade him to AV...

arsmaster*

Has anyone suggest a name change of this thread to the alex burrows depreciation thread? Or did someone already make that funny?

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Terrible time to trade him. I think he's still a 20/20 guy when healthy.

Wait until next deadline to trade please.

Agreed -- well, I'd rather keep him than trade him as I think he's a very useful player.. but I think he should be in the middle 6 (and have felt that way for a couple of years now) -- the Sedins need a true top line winger.. someone who can pull defenses away from the front of the net with their shot and open up space, instead of just creating more of a crowd. Burrows worked for a while there, but teams have reacted and are just crowding the net now. The Sedins need to start making more offense off the rush and need someone to open up the defensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad