Alex Burmistrov (Part II)

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Even Jim Slater had a respectable 13 goals as 4C in the Jets 2.0 inaugural season!

I'm with you on Burmi, if he can't produce with 3C minutes you need to replace him, what's lost on many is that the Jets record is because of players like Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Thorbun etc. on the roster and not despite the fact they are on the roster. There were periods of the early and mid season where Burmi just didn't seem engaged.

He was 3C that year and played nearly 15 mins per game

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I don't get on here as much as I'd like, but jeez I will never get the hate for Burmi that some have on here. He can be frustrating for sure but he is likely the best penalty killer and top 3 skill wise on the team.

Amazing that he is playing better now that he is playing with higher quality line mates....go figure!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't get on here as much as I'd like, but jeez I will never get the hate for Burmi that some have on here. He can be frustrating for sure but he is likely the best penalty killer and top 3 skill wise on the team.

Amazing that he is playing better now that he is playing with higher quality line mates....go figure!

He was absolutely horrible in the first half of the season. A turnover machine. A killer of offense. He deserved all the criticism he got then, just like his recent play makes him deserving of the praise he's gotten recently.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yea atleast Burmi can kill penalties well and provide some much needed rest for offensive players. It was ridiculous in the beginning of the season when LLW where playing tons of 5 on 5 minutes. Playing top line PP time and killing penalties to boot

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This is happening all over again.

What I think:
1) I don't think Burmistrov is that great. I don't even like (or dislike) him as a player in being a fan.
2) I don't think Burmi is a solid top six option.
3) I do think he can be a support piece on a middle six line, in a similar but opposite fashion as Stafford.
4) I do like the fact that support players like Burmi are similarly effective (but in different areas) as Stafford but cost less.
5) I do think there are some very weird people that have an odd preoccupation on how good/bad he actually is which is mostly from their own subjective preferences and tastes, not actual performance.

What the facts are:
1) Burmistrov is a forward who between 2011-13 scored at a mediocre 3rd line rate while promoted the team to out shoot and outscore at a solid 2nd line rate for 120 games.
2) He came back to NA after a stint in the KHL and performed like a fourth line player you want to throw into the same tier as Thorburn in all three categories for 45 games.
3) Then for the next 20+ games he scored and outshot like a second line player.

That's it.
That's all there is to it.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I must have a bad recollection because I thought Wellwood was 3C that season, guess the GST line was the GWT line my bad~!

Wellwood and Antropov both split time on the 2nd and 4th lines.

We could have had a better result if one of them anchored the 3rd line, but Noel happened instead

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Burmistrov, at the start of the season, appeared to be playing as if he had more ice, more space. In the KHL he did. I think adjusting to the difference in rink has to be a factor.

I've always had the opinion that he seemed to be really coachable, but required a more patient, softer touch. Perhaps Maurice should be given some credit for helping Burmi figure it out.

Don't know what it was. He and Maurice did seem to be communicating so, sure lets give him credit. Whatever the explanation I think he has figured it out. Its been quite a few games and he doesn't just look a little better or a little less bad. He looks very good. When things settle down a bit, when he gets the same linemates (not named Thor) for a while the points are going to start coming for him and for his linemates. I think we might have a good Euro connection if he plays between Armia and Dano.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Burmi and Stapes had very similar KHL numbers. At the same time on the same team.
In similar roles.

That's my point.

Lowry is in his second year. Comparing him to a 5yr NHL player with 2yrs KHL adds on is a bit of a red herring don't you think?

Again Burmi isn't a prospect, he isn't a rookie, he's a vet. And not very good.

I said at the beginning of the year if he played well at the money he was getting is be happy. Well he hasn't played well except for a recent run in meaningless games.

Experiment over. Time to cut loses.

But no, people want to see how he is next year, give him more time to adapt, blah blah blah.

He's a bust.

Next year we have most likely a top three and at least 1 moose pushing for spots, why should we give ice time and cap space to keep developing this guy when he really doesn't do anything that we can't find someone else to do cheaper?

No. No more time to adapt!
He doesn't need it. He has adapted.
The Burmi hate doesn't make any sense any more if it ever did. Which it didn't.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Don't know what it was. He and Maurice did seem to be communicating so, sure lets give him credit. Whatever the explanation I think he has figured it out. Its been quite a few games and he doesn't just look a little better or a little less bad. He looks very good. When things settle down a bit, when he gets the same linemates (not named Thor) for a while the points are going to start coming for him and for his linemates. I think we might have a good Euro connection if he plays between Armia and Dano.

I'll be really disappointed if we can't push one of those 2 guys or Burmi to the 4th line.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
GST line played 3rd line minutes.

meangirls.gif~c200

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I'll be really disappointed if we can't push one of those 2 guys or Burmi to the 4th line.

Wheeler Scheifele Ehlers
Perreault Little Stafford
Connor Lowry Armia
Dano Copp Burmi

maybe?

Looking at this roster, I'm starting to believe that there's going to be some serious competition in training camp next year.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Wheeler Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Lowry Armia
Dano Copp Burmi

maybe?

Looking at this roster, I'm starting to believe that there's going to be some serious competition in training camp next year.

Things get complicated, yep. Which is an amazing thing. You want to put up lines for next season but always come around the same problem: Where the hell are we supposed to fit in all these players.

Sure, put Stafford on the 2nd line... but then you'll have one out of Connor and Armia on the third line. Maybe to start the season? But what to do with Dano? Does it make much sense to have him "develop" on the 4th line with such few shifts? We should put Burmi on the third line and have him play at last with one skilled winger. Put who goes on the 4th line then? Armia? We need Armia to continue to get better because at the end of the season, he'd be a 2nd line player. But where to put Connor once he's a beast midway through the season, after he adjusted to the speed of the NHL? What to do with Petan? Should we bring in Lemieux on the 4th line? But why not give Lemieux one year in the A and give Kosmachuk the chance to cement a spot on the 4th line instead since he's with the Moose for two full years now, looking decent and actually pretty okay on our bottom 6 NHL roster lately.

... oh wait, we might draft one out of Matthews, Laine, Pulj. Where the hell are they going to play?

My head hurts. But my heart feels good.

This is pretty much the exact chain of thoughts when I try to put up lines for next season. So I just don't :laugh:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Things get complicated, yep. Which is an amazing thing. You want to put up lines for next season but always come around the same problem: Where the hell are we supposed to fit in all these players.

Sure, put Stafford on the 2nd line... but then you'll have one out of Connor and Armia on the third line. Maybe to start the season? But what to do with Dano? Does it make much sense to have him "develop" on the 4th line with such few shifts? We should put Burmi on the third line and have him play at last with one skilled winger. Put who goes on the 4th line then? Armia? We need Armia to continue to get better because at the end of the season, he'd be a 2nd line player. But where to put Connor once he's a beast midway through the season, after he adjusted to the speed of the NHL? What to do with Petan? Should we bring in Lemieux on the 4th line? But why not give Lemieux one year in the A and give Kosmachuk the chance to cement a spot on the 4th line instead since he's with the Moose for two full years now, looking decent and actually pretty okay on our bottom 6 NHL roster lately.

... oh wait, we might draft one out of Matthews, Laine, Pulj. Where the hell are they going to play?

My head hurts. But my heart feels good.

This is pretty much the exact chain of thoughts when I try to put up lines for next season. So I just don't :laugh:

Didn't even consider Matthews, Laine or Pulj. Wow, lol.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Wheeler Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Lowry Armia
Dano Copp Burmi

maybe?

Not bad at all. I'm tempted to put Armia on the 4th though because I like his chemistry with Copp

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I still like Alex Burmistrov. I've just accepted that he will never be the player his skill had us dreaming he might turn into.

IF you can accept that he is not going to ever be a big point producer and accept that he can just play stable, non risky minutes and PK then you will accept him too.

You can't have an entire team of scorers. Many teams have shown that in the past. You need balance, and Burmi provides some of that.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
remember wehn burmi had like 8 points in his first 10 games or whatever with the jets?

Wasn't that fun?

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
Burmistrov is playing really good hockey of late.
He's been a valuable middle six player that's gonna give you strong defensive presence, PK ability, drive play forward and probably put up ~30 - 40 pts (think 2011-12) with linemates not named Thorburn/Copp/Lowry.
He does have a lot of talent, and has potential to out perform those expectations.
I just can't see the Jets giving up on that, yet.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I too am highly encouraged by Burmi's recent play. Although I'll admit I always hoped and expected he would find his game. So I'm quick to buy in to the "Yay! Burmi doesn't suck!" mindset.

In the absence of all the complexities GJF so excellently pointed out, I like Burmi centering the 3rd, with young promising wingers like Dano or Armia. Maybe Connor starts here.

And with lots of PK time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad