Player Discussion: Alex Barré-Boulet

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It’s clear he has skill but Plays die on his stick because he can’t win battles.

Everyone talks about speed and that’s fair. But he’s got to get stronger.

can win the battles yet and can’t finish well he is definitely behind Ross Colton right now

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
What you say is very true about Coop not allowing young guys into the top 6 except Point, Cirelli and the triplets.
What I meant was Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Namestnikov, Marchessault, Drouin, Kucherov, take your pick, all those guys started their NHL careers on the 3rd and 4th lines. Killorn, Johnson, Panik, and Palat all broke into the league with Boucher, but Palat-Johnson-Panik started the 2013-14 season as our 3rd line. Gradually over time a lot of these guys worked their way up, but I'm pretty sure ABB is very strangely the 1st under Coop to kinda just be given that spot in the top 6 this early.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What I meant was Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Namestnikov, Marchessault, Drouin, Kucherov, take your pick, all those guys started their NHL careers on the 3rd and 4th lines. Killorn, Johnson, Panik, and Palat all broke into the league with Boucher, but Palat-Johnson-Panik started the 2013-14 season as our 3rd line. Gradually over time a lot of these guys worked their way up, but I'm pretty sure ABB is very strangely the 1st under Coop to kinda just be given that spot in the top 6 this early.

Alexander Volkov says hi.

Reactions: Byrddog

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Of course you are right that most all players start in the bottom 9. The elite drafted players are usually the exception but then again some of them would benefit from playing down in many cases. There are all kinds of circumstances that influence coaches in making the decisions. Chemistry got the triplets in the top 6, Cirelli due to Coop preference of having the 2nd line shutdown ability. Then there are guys like Druion or Kevin Failia and others who if they are not playing where they want pout and act up. ABB has got top 6 minutes out of necessity and has a chance to impress the staff. His age and success in lower levels indicate his time is running out. And yes as others have said the sample size is small and there are some good things he has done but time does not wait. Average forwards mature at 23 or at the lastest 24 and start decline at 27 and roles diminish. Now are there those that can continue a high level up to 312 or 32 sure but Look at Patty Marleau from a 70 to 80 point player 10 years ago to just holding on to break Gordy Howes record.

Now all that said I am glad he is getting a good look even though I do not think he is going to be top 6 material. Coop did not give Verhaghe the look he should have got and we lost one. Then there is Namestnikov who did well in the OHL almost made it to a PPG in Syracuse his last two seasons there and split. Fast as the wind but just never could finish in the NHL and hes almost out of the league now, like ABB he is a player that is top 6 or bust because they can neither be effective defensively in the league ABB because of skating that was the reason he was undrafted. Names because of size and inability to play along the boards. Skating was always the biggest knock on Yanni but he overcame that by sheer will and work.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Alexander Volkov says hi.
You're right. He did start next to Stammer and Kuch in his first few games. I remembered them doing that in preseason games but forgot they returned to it for when he was called up early last season

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
For an 18year old, a guy turning 24 is pretty much where it is.

I don't see JAM flashes, Marchessault had great skating and could open up lanes, ABB is get him the puck and he can make a play but he pretty much has a non-existent forecheck and board presence. It's really top-6 or bust for the guy.
Sorry, no. Foot speed is nothing more than strength and Barb training. I don't care if hes 24, she picked up Coburns footspeed for two seasons. It can be done.

That said, I just don't see the same out of him that everyone else seems to. Pretty soft, some so-so work in the NZ, and quite frankly he needs to start attacking the net rather than thinking he'll hammer one timers from the far edges of the circles. Its the NHL, you're gonna have to get dirty.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sorry, no. Foot speed is nothing more than strength and Barb training. I don't care if hes 24, she picked up Coburns footspeed for two seasons. It can be done.

That said, I just don't see the same out of him that everyone else seems to. Pretty soft, some so-so work in the NZ, and quite frankly he needs to start attacking the net rather than thinking he'll hammer one timers from the far edges of the circles. Its the NHL, you're gonna have to get dirty.

It's not so much about his age as it is about how long he's been in the organization. She's probably done all she can do with him. Same as Foote.

That said, there are still guys who don't need to be super fast to get themselves in good position. ABB isn't fast, but he's quick. He's probably going to just be a guy who really depends on his center to create plays.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's not so much about his age as it is about how long he's been in the organization. She's probably done all she can do with him. Same as Foote.

That said, there are still guys who don't need to be super fast to get themselves in good position. ABB isn't fast, but he's quick. He's probably going to just be a guy who really depends on his center to create plays.

Yeah it's weird how people think these guys haven't been working on known weaknesses every year? It's not like this stuff isn't identified and pointed out to the players, even moreso for minor league players. It's stuff they've been working on since their draft years and this is the current result.

Point is an exception not a norm, and even that took 3 years to come to fruition. Barb works with hundreds of skaters a year and you'll never hear about most of them, she isn't a miracle worker.

Reactions: NatoGhost

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Yeah it's weird how people think these guys haven't been working on known weaknesses every year? It's not like this stuff isn't identified and pointed out to the players, even moreso for minor league players. It's stuff they've been working on since their draft years and this is the current result.

Point is an exception not a norm, and even that took 3 years to come to fruition. Barb works with hundreds of skaters a year and you'll never hear about most of them, she isn't a miracle worker.
Yeah, but just like anything in life, there are the guys that do the work, and there are guys that go above and beyond to build that strength (like Marty). I think he has more in there but its up to him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, but just like anything in life, there are the guys that do the work, and there are guys that go above and beyond to build that strength (like Marty). I think he has more in there but its up to him.

I agree, if you put it the work you can get there but you're looking at 6 years since he is went undrafted and this is the result. Either he doesn't have the mindset or this is close to finished product. As Point mentioned, it was very tedious and time consuming to go back to basics and relearn a lot of his skating, a lot of players won't put in the work for that.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I agree, if you put it the work you can get there but you're looking at 6 years since he is went undrafted and this is the result. Either he doesn't have the mindset or this is close to finished product. As Point mentioned, it was very tedious and time consuming to go back to basics and relearn a lot of his skating, a lot of players won't put in the work for that.
That I agree with you on.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Well Point tried like hell last nigh and the game before and there were no results. His lack of speed will prevent him from even getting asst's on most plays with the faster guys. And his inability to finish thus far is alarming for a highly touted prospect. He does go to the front of the net and for the most part gets open but he has only been credited with 4 shots thus far. A couple games ago he had two chances on the PP and flubbed both not even being credited with a SOG. Heck Palat is faster than ABB and thats a headscratcher. He will be out there in the 1st line again tonight and is slotted on the 1st PP unit. If he does not hit the scoresheet tonight ya have to think Coop will try Colton up there. We miss Stammer and Kuch in a bad way right now and McThrow up is gonna be in net. Could be a long night.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Funny clip last game of ABB rushing to a loose puck, taking 5-6 quick strides to try and beat Pesce who took 2 monster strides and got in front of him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I just watched three terrible shifts of him just gliding around the offensive zone "forechecking" where he never made a play on the puck. Time to send you back to Syracuse.

Reactions: JFleegs

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah not looking good. If you're useless everywhere else you need to be on the scoresheet. His skating would've been ok to get by a couple years ago but it's not going to cut it now.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Its not even his skating, he just doesn't work hard enough. You gotta win a f***ing puck battle in the offensive zone if you think you're going to last in this league.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The kid is getting some chances but no luck.

He is definetly reminding me of Volkov and Verhaeghe, who were just more of a passenger on the line.

Play Gourde with Point, Cirelli 3C back to a shut down guy and then bring Smith into the lineup for more grit

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The kid is getting some chances but no luck.

He is definetly reminding me of Volkov and Verhaeghe, who were just more of a passenger on the line.

Play Gourde with Point, Cirelli 3C back to a shut down guy and then bring Smith into the lineup for more grit
I don’t know why but for whatever reason this org is very reluctant to bring in Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad