Aleksander 'Sasha' Barkov - Part II

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How long before they'll give Barkov the A, or is it time to just go straight to C? :laugh:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Isn't Barkov on a GWG streak now, including the shootouts of course? 5-6? Or did I miss a game or something?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Ah true, should've double-checked. According to NHL.com he has only 3 GWGs, so not sure if the shootouts are even counted for.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
^He didn't even score the GWG tonight.

How is it not a GWG if he scored goals number 2 and 3 in a 3-1 win?

This guy is absolutely amazing. If you want to criticize him, I only find the non-existing slapper (slappers are overrated anyway).

Tallon found the hidden gem in the draft. About contract talks: the Finns I know (lived in Mikkeli for one year) are addicted to sun, beaches and warm weather - and he seems to love it in Florida. If the lineup provides a basis to be competitive in the near and mid-term future, I see no reason why he would leave with a fair contract proposal

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
What's the expectation for Barkov's contract? Some comparables in the recent signings from other teams?

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
How is it not a GWG if he scored goals number 2 and 3 in a 3-1 win?

This guy is absolutely amazing. If you want to criticize him, I only find the non-existing slapper (slappers are overrated anyway).

Tallon found the hidden gem in the draft. About contract talks: the Finns I know (lived in Mikkeli for one year) are addicted to sun, beaches and warm weather - and he seems to love it in Florida. If the lineup provides a basis to be competitive in the near and mid-term future, I see no reason why he would leave with a fair contract proposal

Because he scored the 1st and 3rd goal Jagr got the GWG.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Watch the highlights from the game and watch things what Barkov does without the puck in Jagr goal and in Huberdeaus chance when he cuts to the middle and shoots. Barkov basically draws 2 players in both situations with him and make room for Jagr to get open and free lane for Huby to shoot. He doesen't even need the puck and he can give big impact in offensive zone.

I've followed Barkov since he was 15 year old. I have basically watched 80% of his games after that. 2011 when he was 15 years old i called first time that he is going to be perennial selke candidate and everyone was saying that i'm overhyping. But it's more and more likely that he will end up that calibre of player. First game i saw from him was against Galchenyuk at Ivan Hlinka. Barkov was 15 year old at that time playing 17 year old Gally who was consensus top 3 pick of his draft. He shut him down and dominated all 3 zones against strong USA. After that i knew that he will be star some day.

The key for his success is about his head and legs adapting into much more faster NA pace from slower european game. He is maybe one of the fastest thinkers and puck movers in the game if not the fastest. He makes his decisions with the puck in split seconds and clear majority of them are correct decisions. He is like one damn effective hockey computer on ice. I've been analyzing Barkov's game for years now and i think that is one of the biggest reasons why he is so effective. Put that kind of super computer to the middle of any line and you see your line controlling the game. We saw little bit of it in his rookie year when he played on killer bees line but he wasn't adapted into pace of NHL but that line controlled the game against any line. Barkov made Boyes and Bergenheim look like very good NHLers. I don't think that Barkov has reached his top potential yet. He can get stronger, faster and more aggressive offensively being one of the best players in the league without the puck in all 3 zones. Barkov's biggest asset is that he thinks so fast in this game no doubt about it. If there is faster puck mover and thinker in the game of hockey with that kind of success rate let me know. He is just 20 year old imagine in 3-5 years.

Last edited:

Jolli

Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!
Nov 15, 2010
Helsinki
How long before they'll give Barkov the A, or is it time to just go straight to C? :laugh:

You don't give the C to a player just because he's your best player. You give the C to a player who has shown to have at very least some leadership skills. Does Barkov look like a leader to you? At least I wouldn't feel comfortable giving the C to an awkward kid...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You don't give the C to a player just because he's your best player. You give the C to a player who has shown to have at very least some leadership skills. Does Barkov look like a leader to you? At least I wouldn't feel comfortable giving the C to an awkward kid...

Yeah. I definitely see him having a future in his teams captaincy. But there is no need to put more pressure on him and simultaneously add more confusion in to the team.

If Barkov is suitable for captain, he will one day be the captain of his team. But we fans tend to put too much weight on it. You can just as easily have a veteran who plays in 3rd line to carry the C. If he is the best option.

In the end, teams will have internal order of leadership. Putting a letter to your jersey doesn't make you a leader and not having a letter doesn't mean you can't be one of the leaders on your team.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Yeah. I definitely see him having a future in his teams captaincy. But there is no need to put more pressure on him and simultaneously add more confusion in to the team.

If Barkov is suitable for captain, he will one day be the captain of his team. But we fans tend to put too much weight on it. You can just as easily have a veteran who plays in 3rd line to carry the C. If he is the best option.

In the end, teams will have internal order of leadership. Putting a letter to your jersey doesn't make you a leader and not having a letter doesn't mean you can't be one of the leaders on your team.

He is already a leader. Leading by example on the ice. He isn't vocal guy but this guy is the best example on the ice and off the ice. I doubt he'll get C because he is not vocal but he'll be quiet leader and most likely deserve A on his chest.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He is already a leader. Leading by example on the ice. He isn't vocal guy but this guy is the best example on the ice and off the ice. I doubt he'll get C because he is not vocal but he'll be quiet leader and most likely deserve A on his chest.

I think so too. Can't really say anything about the locker room. But his play looks like the kind of play you want from your leading players. That was basically my point. You don't need the letter to be a leader.

In the end, it doesn't really matter that much. Barkov might or might not be the captain at some point. It doesn't make or break him as a player. If the team and coaches feel that he is the best choice to wear C, he will get it. If not, doesn't really matter.

I'm just happy that he is proving the doubters wrong. When Panthers drafted him, I remember a lot of people considering him as a bad choice. Well, not bad, since he was projected to go in the first 5 picks. But still, he was seen as a bit of a baffling choice. Few years has now passed and I am 100% sure that Panthers would make that same pick 100/100.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Guys, Gudbranson WILL BE the captain after Mitchell, debate it, hate it, I am not supporting it, but this was the plan since Erik was drafted, and he is finally performing at a level where it would not be that bad of a choice.

I do think with the "C" that mean Erik will show himself more often on the ice. You can see he takes it seriously. Him and Tro are always last of the ice, Guddy has taken some steps this year and with everyone elses play (Ek, Hub, Barky etc.) It has gone under the radar.

It will happen. Just sayin'.

EstConf96*

C - Ekblad
A - Barkov
A - Bjugstad

C - Gudbranson
A - Ekblad
A - Barkov/Pick a veteran

But Ekblad as a C is for sure the more popular choice much like Karlsson for Ottawa. Either way anyone one outside Gudbranson and Ekblad for C would be a crime in my opinion those two where born to lead men.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Gud has always been the future captain in Tallon's eyes but unfortunately for Guddy, Ekblad will take the C next. Ekblad is more marketable, he's a franchise D. Guddy will most likely wear an A though, with Jagr having the other A until he's 65.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad