Prospect Info: Aleksander Barkov (signed 7/15/13)

HowdyHowden93*

I hope this kid becomes a great player. He's been invisible all pre season, probably because he's hurt and not playing but does anyone have a report on this kid? anyone watch him live during pre season yet.

I for one hated this pick, I don't think Barkov was the right draft choice, the only pick the Panthers have ever made that I actually liked was Huberdeau, Drouin should have been the pick, I hope I'm wrong.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I hope this kid becomes a great player. He's been invisible all pre season, probably because he's hurt and not playing but does anyone have a report on this kid? anyone watch him live during pre season yet.

I for one hated this pick, I don't think Barkov was the right draft choice, the only pick the Panthers have ever made that I actually liked was Huberdeau, Drouin should have been the pick, I hope I'm wrong.

Relax.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
You know this thread is in need of saving when Powdered Toast Man shows up.

powdered-toast-man-o.gif

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Check tampa bay forums they are saying same things about Drouin that he was wrong pick and should have taken Jones:laugh: and probaply same in colorado aswell

sixfeet

Sep 27, 2013
Dont put too much hopes on first season. It takes a while to get adjusted on smaller ice and less time. It´s allways gamble with finns since it´s a completely different hockey in sm-liiga. I would have taken Drouin. He still dominated even Mackinnon was injured a while last season.

I still have high expectations on Barkov. He is a bit different than most of our talents. He is physically ready and in last season he was marked by all badasses allready so he should be used to take hits. Also his father is former Soviet Union national player who have been developing ice hockey in finland since mid 90-s. So the preparation process to nhl have been professional. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=34229

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't know why every people talk about St. louis, stamkos and drouin line. That line would get killed. Of course that line has alot of offensive firepower but they can be shut down easily and they might be in bad problems in the own zone. I see that Drouin is a player who needs to puck most of the time so he can make the plays and lead the orchestra like he did in Halifax, he can't do it in top line when St. Louis is there. I believe that Drouin will be 2nd line player this year and he is the head of his line. I think that Killorn looked good on the top line last year why to break that up and put all offensive firepower in one line? They will get more from Drouin when he can play his own game.

Uh shutting down Stamkos and St Louis no matter who their winger is, is not easy.

I actually think they might be better served to send him back for a year just to get stronger. You don't want a situation like RNH and his shoulder.

How injured is Barkov? With such an important player you would think that they would take their time and let him heal before playing him.

How are his offensive instincts, do you think he will be a 60 pt + player? I loved his scouting report and was not surprised when he was selected, considering the organization strengths in florida.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Drouin has not been that good in the preseason. MacKinnon hasn't looked that good either. I haven't watched Barkov, only followed on radio, but he's not doing any worse than those two. And he's coming off of a long layoff from hockey and adjusting to a different game here in North America. So relax. Barkov is going to wow a lot of people this season, mark my words.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Uh shutting down Stamkos and St Louis no matter who their winger is, is not easy.

I actually think they might be better served to send him back for a year just to get stronger. You don't want a situation like RNH and his shoulder.

How injured is Barkov? With such an important player you would think that they would take their time and let him heal before playing him.

How are his offensive instincts, do you think he will be a 60 pt + player? I loved his scouting report and was not surprised when he was selected, considering the organization strengths in florida.

They have been very patient with Barkov. They even kept him out for a whole week again until last night just as a precaution, and didn't play him at all in the rookie camp. They don't want to take any chances, and want him to play in the games that matter.

Repomies

Jan 26, 2013
Finnish interview

Said that shoulder is in 100% shape. Doesn't bother at all and can do whatever he wants :sarcasm: .Also said that first game was bad for him but two last was much better. Versus Tampa there were about five chances to score but hopes he's saving scoring to regulars. Mom comes on saturday and then starts apartment and car search. Has enjoyed time in Florida and team mates are awesome...etc etc.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

I can see how you may disagree with the Barkov pick, but your hard on for Drouin is a little ridiculous.

The guy is soft as pudding and would do nothing for this team. Why would we draft a poor-man's Huberdeau? We need DIFFERENT players on this team, not a bunch of soft passers.

Seriously what the hell do you think Drouin would bring to this team?

Guys like Barkov, Toews, Thornton don't grow on trees. It makes sense to take a chance on him.

Drouin is as common of a player as there is. Undersized, speedy winger is the go-to in the new NHL.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I can see how you may disagree with the Barkov pick, but your hard on for Drouin is a little ridiculous.

The guy is soft as pudding and would do nothing for this team. Why would we draft a poor-man's Huberdeau? We need DIFFERENT players on this team, not a bunch of soft passers.

Guys like Barkov, Toews, Thornton don't grow on trees. It makes sense to take a chance on him.

Drouin is as common of a player as there is. Undersized, speedy winger is the go-to in the new NHL.
You know they reposted this on the Tampa board. :laugh:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

You managed to fight fire by pushing an old lady through the burning door. The post would have been more coherent and accurate if you had attempted to write it in Latin.

Drouin a common player ....

Sometimes reading these threads reminds me of the clever chap who during the process of robbing a bank was asked by the assistant for his name and address so they could tranfer the money. He kindly agreed.

Sittin onma couch, sittin onma couch.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I could care less about those idiots on Tampa's board.

I wasn't saying Drouin is terrible. I was saying this his type of player is common. And it is. If you think it isn't you don't want the game of hockey.

Yes he's very skilled and probably on the upper-echelon of those types of players, but he is still a small, scoring winger.

My point was that we have that already. We have our franchise piece in a scoring winger with Huberdeau. Why would we draft the same player twice?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I could care less about those idiots on Tampa's board.

I wasn't saying Drouin is terrible. I was saying this his type of player is common. And it is. If you think it isn't you don't want the game of hockey.

Yes he's very skilled and probably on the upper-echelon of those types of players, but he is still a small, scoring winger.

My point was that we have that already. We have our franchise piece in a scoring winger with Huberdeau. Why would we draft the same player twice?

You weren't literal to the point of a college thesis. What's wrong with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad