Prospect Info: Aleksander Barkov (signed 7/15/13)

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
I figured we should have a thread with the sole purpose to discuss Barkov, considering his choice today is going to have a pretty big impact on our future.

Let me begin by stating that I love the pick. I would have been very happy with any of Barkov, MacKinnon or Drouin. I think our management made a very wise decision on passing on Jones. We didn't need to roll the dice with a defensman; especially not when 3 elite-level talents are available up front.

Another reason I really like the pick is his age. I read a book called "outliers" a while ago and there was a chapter specifically on how most elite NHL players are born later in the year. Because of their birthdate, they're always forced to play against players that are older and more mature than they are (even as children). They're used to playing against players that are more physically mature. It makes projecting their transition to the NHL much easier. Barkov takes that "outlier" to the extreme as he was playing against men double his age, and succeeding (to say the least). Jones on the other hand, was one of the oldest of the draft class. I really did not want us to take Jones at all and am extremely relieved we didn't.

Since we have alot of our finnish friends stopping by now that we took their countryman - can anyone tell me how Barkov's play/statistics compare to other high-first rounders in prior years coming out of the FEL?

From what I can tell, Mikko Koivu (a legit-#1 center in the NHL today) had 4 goals and 3 assists in 48 games during his draft year at the same age. why is there such a drastic difference. is Barkov that good? Are there any other comparables you can present to us to give us an idea how good you think Barkov could/should be?

Also, i thought I'd include some of Barkov's highlights from youtube. my jaw hit the floor with some of his shootout moves...this guys hands are absolutely ridiculous.

also...this pass couldn't have possibly have been on purpose....could it?

Last edited:

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Not to discredit his talent... but no. That pass definitely wasn't on purpose. I mean, yes, he probably knew where his teammate was, but no, he didn't weave a puck through all of those legs without looking.

I'm super excited for Barkov. Hope he gives us our 2nd Calder in a row!

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Check the dangle at 2:43

Went clean off the crossbar, but it was pretty amazing to attempt that in that league.

Last edited:

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Love the pick, Jones will be a stud NHL D-Man and I won't be surprised if he wins the Calder with Weber as a linemate, obviously that's a great situation for him. However, the Panthers needed a potential top-line C and they got it. Good fit and the Panthers have ton of young d-talent (Guddy/Kuli/Petro/Matheson) and I LOVE McCoshen who they got in the 2nd round. It might be another tough rebuilding season this year, but w/ Huby/Barkov we finally are starting to get some great offensive weapons.

Anton13

Sep 3, 2012
Finland
Interview from Finnish tabloid Ilta-Sanomat:

Barkov: "First step taken"

Tappara center Aleksander Barkov was not surprised when Florida's President and CEO Dale Tallon announced that the club picks him 2nd overall in the draft.

Barkov had met the Panthers people twice before the draft, in early June at a test event in Toronto, as well as days before the draft in Newark.

- They told me yesterday that they are really interested and may choose me. That's why I'm not too surprised, but I'm really excited, Barkov said.

The finn calmly walked onto the stage, shook hands with the entire crew and put the Panthers jersey on for the draft photo.

- This is the biggest achievement of my career so far, but only the first step on the way towards the NHL, Barkov says.

The Tampere native is ready to go to the NHL already next season. He has already played two seasons in the FEL and two junior world championships.

- Playing in men's league for two years has helped me greatly to develop.

In Florida Barkov joins another finn Sean Bergenheim, who didn’t play a single game last season because of injuries.

- It’s great that there’s another finn who can help me to adjust.

- I have never been to Miami. I have heard that there's lots of sunshine and beaches.

Original article is here:http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-1288578614131.html

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov's team beat panthers at 2009 preseason game(he wasn't playing obviously). Barkov saw panthers at the first time in that game. He was asked if he was happy that Tappara beat panthers he answered "probably yes but not anymore"

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Looking at those videos he kind of reminds of Alexei Yashin who was also drafted #2 overall. Very quick hands and great puck handler for a big guy and protects the puck very well and seems to have a great feel for where everybody is. Once the puck is on his stick he knows where he's going with it and moves it quickly. Very decisive, He definitely doesn't float and he plays on both ends which is nice. I see a lot of Yashin (when he was healthy) in his offensive game and also some Mats Sundin similarities in his game. He is no Viktor Kozlov thank goodness who was a pretty frustrating player to watch that just couldn't put it all together.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
Ducks fan here just to congratulate you guys. Happy you have found a potential #1 Center for the future. :handclap:

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
Congtrats on the pick guys, Barkov's an amazing talent. I really see no way he could end up as anything less than a selke-caliber 2nd line center who plays all situations.

He's a special prospect in sense that he doesnt need to be slotted in top-6 spot instantly; his game is perfectly fit to playing defensive role in the 3rd line and second PK unit for example. I really hope he makes the decision to go to NA asap.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
It's interesting that when he is able to compete for selke but i think that he will be perennial selke nominee in the future. He is that good defensively. Good at faceoffs, excellent at takeaways, can face tough competition and shut down opposite star players and still be on the scoresheet in consistent basis. He is probably the most compete player in the draft being one of the youngest players drafted. Plays effective offensive game. Scores alot of goals with his tremendous shot and is very good at scoring garbage goals infront of net. He is even better playmaker.

Being late born at september he doesen't hit ufa in 8 years according to new cba. That's basically an extra year. But i believe that Barkov has great potential to be your franchise center. He seem to be pretty loyal kid and it's matter of time when Panthers are perennial playoff team.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
A re-incarnation of the Mighty Olli! Another big Finnish center to lead us to the promised land. Swwweet to be back in the Panthers bandwagon after all these years! :D

vebsteri

Dec 22, 2012
ISince we have alot of our finnish friends stopping by now that we took their countryman - can anyone tell me how Barkov's play/statistics compare to other high-first rounders in prior years coming out of the FEL?

Took all the 1st round picked forwards after Olli Jokinen (97 draft) and the stats prior to the draft. So for Jokinen season 96-97 and so on.

Olli Jokinen (HIFK 96-97) gp 50 14+27 - 3rd OA
Jani Rita (Jokerit 98-99) gp 41 gp 3+2 - 19th OA
Tuomo Ruutu (Jokerit 00-01) 47 gp 11+11 - 9th OA
Mikko Koivu (TPS 00-01) 21 gp 0+1 - 6th OA
Sean Bergenheim (Jokerit 01-02) 28 gp 2+2 - 22nd OA
Lauri Tukonen (Ilves 03-04) 35 gp 3+3 - 11th OA
Petteri Nokelainen (SaiPa 03-04) 40 gp 4+4 - 16th OA
Lauri Korpikoski (TPS U20 03-04) 36 gp 12+8 - 19th OA
Mikael Granlund (HIFK 09-10) 43 gp 13+27 - 9th OA
Joel Armia (Ässät 10-11) 48 gp 18+11 - 16th OA
Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit 11-12) 40 gp 11+7 - 18th OA

used a bit of Wikipedia so might be some mistakes. And all the first rounders because we really don't have many high-picked forwards to compare to.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
The biggest adjustment for Barkov will be probably the 82 game schedule for the first year.

Other thing i love about Barkov that he elevated his game for the playoffs this year. He scored 5 points in 5 games before his injury. He was leading the series at scoring and was series MVP imo. He didn't just elevate his offensive game. He was very focused all the time. Even at the single faceoffs. He was really focused on just winning single faceoffs. He was like dog wanting that bone from faceoffs giving huge effort. But when you think that he does it in every situation. His focus on blocking passing and shooting lanes at the PK and the all other small things make him as special player. He just gives 100% for the team and in playoffs it was on display. His drive to win is top notch.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Posted this in the other thread and figured it's mostly relevant here too:

The more I think about this move to draft Barkov, and the more I learn about him, we may have just picked the best player in this draft.

He is the perfect center for us. He sounds like a Finnish Jonathan Toews with more size, and I already see Huberdeau as our Kane, so can't complain! :laugh:

But seriously. The kid is already 6'3 at 17 Y.O (seriously?!?! Yes), and will probably gain another inch or two before it's all said and done. Having him and Bjugstad up the middle is going to terrify teams. That is a LOT of size and skill to deal with. Barkov has offensive ability and I love his hockey sense. He seems to be really good at finding the puck and burying it, something our team seems to have lacked FOREVER. His stats are more than impressive at such a young age playing with men.

I'm not sour about not having Mackinnon. I think him and Barkov are much closer than some of you guys think. Mack's stats aren't anything to scream about (Huberdeau actually had better stats in the Q the year he was drafted) in a high-scoring QMJHL. I think Roy saw a ton of Mack while coaching in the Q, and his stubbornness would probably prevent him from taking a serious look at Barkov. People comparing Mack to Crosby are nuts. Sid had 168 freaking points in his 2nd year in the Q.

What I like most about Barkov is that he seems really difficult to play against, another thing we lack. He fights for every puck and goes to the hard places when needed. Always makes the smart play too. His stick handling is INSANE for someone his size. Usually guys that big can't handle the puck THAT well. I also love that he's played against men. Not because the FEL is directly comparable to the NHL, but he understands what comes with playing with more mature players who are more in tune with their game and the pro-hockey lifestyle.

I'm ok with not picking Jones. Don't put any stock in Pierre McGuire saying anything about us, he's the same dude who said Phaneuf would win multiple Norris trophies.....yah he sure know's his d-men.

With that said, Jones IS going to be a great defenseman, I don't doubt it. Nashville was the perfect destination for him. Weber will groom him into an absolute force in the NHL. I found comfort in Tampa taking Drouin and not Jones because it showed me that Jones wasn't seen as a "can't miss pick" to a Tampa team that frankly, needs more help on defense than we do.

I don't take any stock to this kid being quiet or whatever nonsense you guys are talking about. The one thing that stood out to me from his interview was that he wants to play in the NHL NOW. Not next year, but NOW. He's ready for the next step. This is a kid who will push himself and continue to succeed. Actions speak louder than words, and his on ice performance is all I care about. Never cared about JayBo's quiet persona off the ice and he was (I don't care what any of you say) an amazing defenseman for us those last couple seasons. Barkov will prove everything he needs to on the ice, I'm sure of it.

Overall I am happy with the draft, very happy. We didn't make any trades but there's time for that. Barkov is that big, two-way center that plays a 200 foot game that this franchise HAS NEVER, EVER HAD. We have literally never had a player of his skill set. Jokinen was the closest thing to a #1 center this franchise has ever had and his defensive game was lacking to say the least. Barkov is our Toews. I keep saying it but I believe it. The kind of player that can not only shut down your top line, but take it back down into their end and score one himself.

When we see him play, it'll be to the same effect of Huberdeau in all the fans saying "I can't believe how skilled this kid is" and "we've NEVER had someone like him before!".

Although this season might be a rough one (hopefully not with young guys having more experience and the team getting healthy), but I'd like to sign at least a center and one more defenseman for depth. Either bring back Weiss or sign someone else (NOT BOZAK FFS), just to ease the pressure on the kids. For some reason I expect Upshall to score 20 goals this year and finally live up to that ridiculous contract. It's not fair for this team to expect so much out of Barkov and Bjugs. Bjugs deserves a chance to find and hone his game properly in the AHL before making the big jump. Let him and Howden get more acquainted as team/linemates. The d-man I want to add because Jovo is too injury prone, I don't trust Robak and Petrovic JUST yet (although Petro about 100x more than Robak at this point) and remember....we still have Kuba back there. I'd like the option to be able to bench him when needed. I do expect DT to make a move for some depth on the back end since we let Strachan go, and with him leaving basically anyone will be an upgrade.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

"Passing up on Jones when you are the Florida Panthers, and you dont have an overwhelming array of defensive depth"

Soupy
Kulikov
Gudbranson
Petrovic
Matheson
Robak

Yeah, you are right Pierre, that list has nothing but a bunch of 3rd pairing dmen :shakehead

It is definitely a pleasure listening to Bob Mckenzie talk though. He knows a lot, and it really shows in times like this.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The biggest adjustment for Barkov will be probably the 82 game schedule for the first year.

Other thing i love about Barkov that he elevated his game for the playoffs this year. He scored 5 points in 5 games before his injury. He was leading the series at scoring and was series MVP imo. He didn't just elevate his offensive game. He was very focused all the time. Even at the single faceoffs. He was really focused on just winning single faceoffs. He was like dog wanting that bone from faceoffs giving huge effort. But when you think that he does it in every situation. His focus on blocking passing and shooting lanes at the PK and the all other small things make him as special player. He just gives 100% for the team and in playoffs it was on display. His drive to win is top notch.

Last season, as a 17yr old, barkov played 53 regular season games, 6 WJC-games, 10 european trophy games and 5 playoff games, before getting hurt. Thats 74 games in a shortened season.
He played ES, 1 PP and 1 PK and averaged 19-20 mins/g. I dont think he has any problem with a full season in NHL as he probably will play a lesser role and avg 13-15 mins max.

Kulleroinen*

You guys got the best player of the draft. Congrats on that!

Any chance of trading him? ;D Kidding, I'm just so jealous. :)

And a sidenote, Florida just became my second favourite team on NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad