Prospect Info: Aleksander Barkov (signed 7/15/13)

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Watching the scrimmage yesterday, it seemed like he was very sluggish at times. I knew he wasn't the world's fastest skater, but he looked downright slow. Then as the game went on and he got more involved, I realized that's his way of controlling the game and making things go the pace he wants it to. When he had the puck everything just seemed to slow down, he had alot of patience, and it all just worked. I don't know what else to say lol.

I remember reading in scouting reports pre-draft that he was excellent at controlling the speed of the game, and I definitely saw that yesterday. Also, seeing as Huby doesn't have blazing speed either, these guys really could work well together. Just a thought.

I was coming in here to say the same. He can definitely move when he wants to, but he does really seem to like to slow things down.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
I was coming in here to say the same. He can definitely move when he wants to, but he does really seem to like to slow things down.

this is the sign of a great player in my book. players with that style will be able to play and be relevant up to late 30s early 40s unless he get any major injuries

barkov is just... idk. i see a thornton jr in him

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
this is the sign of a great player in my book. players with that style will be able to play and be relevant up to late 30s early 40s unless he get any major injuries

barkov is just... idk. i see a thornton jr in him

I think he's definitely similar. But he's got a lot more dazzle to his game..

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I think he's definitely similar. But he's got a lot more dazzle to his game..

I'd recommend keeping this kind of hype to this Panthers board only :laugh:.

One thing about Barkov's game is his ability to make a rediculous amount of center ice impenetrable with his great positioning. It seemed like the puck just came to him in FEL.

Was there any signs of that in the scrimmage yesterday? How was his positioning and defensive game?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
I'd recommend keeping this kind of hype to this Panthers board only :laugh:.

One thing about Barkov's game is his ability to make a rediculous amount of center ice impenetrable with his great positioning. It seemed like the puck just came to him in FEL.

Was there any signs of that in the scrimmage yesterday? How was his positioning and defensive game?

what hype? he controls the game flow similiar to thornton. he won't speed through center ice and stuff, but he can slow the game down and use his elite vision.

doesn't mean he'll have 90 assist seasons or anything, but they play the game in a similiar way

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
what hype?

Oh I ment it all in good spirit. I just quoted the wrong post (or I should have quoted two of them instead of just that one). Just seeing the names of Datsyuk, Jagr, Malkin and Thornton pop up in a couple of posts seemed a bit over the top even to a Barkov fan like myself ;). I actually like the Thornton comparison. But anyways, they should just start the season already!

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Im not sure TBH, I would just like to see another shut down Dman, who just beats the snot out of everyone, and hits everything he sees. I think both Guds and Petro have those abilities, and I forgot about Petro, so I guess Im cool with the blueline.

I think Jon Racine might be that guy!

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Oh I ment it all in good spirit. I just quoted the wrong post (or I should have quoted two of them instead of just that one). Just seeing the names of Datsyuk, Jagr, Malkin and Thornton pop up in a couple of posts seemed a bit over the top even to a Barkov fan like myself ;). I actually like the Thornton comparison. But anyways, they should just start the season already!

I was comparing qualities. He doesn't have Malkins size? He protects the puck in similar fashion to Jagr, he has a super long reach and uses his big butt to protect himself. Hands to Datsyuk may be a stretch since Datsyuk has the best hands in the biz, but he's definitely got all the tricks.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Watching the scrimmage yesterday, it seemed like he was very sluggish at times. I knew he wasn't the world's fastest skater, but he looked downright slow. Then as the game went on and he got more involved, I realized that's his way of controlling the game and making things go the pace he wants it to. When he had the puck everything just seemed to slow down, he had alot of patience, and it all just worked. I don't know what else to say lol.

I remember reading in scouting reports pre-draft that he was excellent at controlling the speed of the game, and I definitely saw that yesterday. Also, seeing as Huby doesn't have blazing speed either, these guys really could work well together. Just a thought.

The sluggishness is somewhat deceiving indeed. I think it's partly about his own way of doing things and partly about saving energy to be able to play big minutes. You see it with the bigger, heavier players at times IMO, Barkov's not the only one. At least the ones who aren't particularly good skaters. They use their full speed only when it's truly needed, but most of the time it's not if they can position themselves well enough. I do believe he absolutely needs to develop some more lower body strength, but he could very well manage to be one of those guys who seem slow but at the same time seem to be able to be everywhere on the ice when it counts.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
Should I pick Barkov, MacKinnon or Drouin in my fantasy? I need a player that is a LOCK for the team this year on the 2nd or 3rd line.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Should I pick Barkov, MacKinnon or Drouin in my fantasy? I need a player that is a LOCK for the team this year on the 2nd or 3rd line.

drouin will outproduce rest because he can just pass the puck and he'll get a point when stlouis and stamkos beasting it up

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
drouin will outproduce rest because he can just pass the puck and he'll get a point when stlouis and stamkos beasting it up
Unless he gets injured, he's still really weak for a NHL player.

I'm afraid he'll get totally hammered and miss a few months. Hopefully not thou.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

If 1st line isn't an option, I wouldn't pick Barkov.

All joking aside. 3rd line is the farthest I can see Barkov dropping. He will propably start centering the 1st or 2nd line.

Drouin would be my choice of the three. He has a full year on Mackinnon and Barkov and while Barkov has pro experience, he has had the shoulder injury which affected his off season training plus he will have some transition period that almost all European players go through. All three should be good options so it's not that you could go wrong in picking any one of them.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I don't know why every people talk about St. louis, stamkos and drouin line. That line would get killed. Of course that line has alot of offensive firepower but they can be shut down easily and they might be in bad problems in the own zone. I see that Drouin is a player who needs to puck most of the time so he can make the plays and lead the orchestra like he did in Halifax, he can't do it in top line when St. Louis is there. I believe that Drouin will be 2nd line player this year and he is the head of his line. I think that Killorn looked good on the top line last year why to break that up and put all offensive firepower in one line? They will get more from Drouin when he can play his own game.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I see that Drouin is a player who needs to puck most of the time so he can make the plays and lead the orchestra like he did in Halifax, he can't do it in top line when St. Louis is there... ...They will get more from Drouin when he can play his own game.

I think the game we will see from Drouin in NHL won't have a lot of resemblance to his game in junior. He will most propably move towards quick passing, more straight forward style. He won't stickhandle his way up the ice in the NHL (at least not yet this season), there is less time, better defensive players so he will have to use his quick passing with quick decision making to get things done.

With Stamkos and St Louis he would have those players capable of fast game.

Drouin will have to find his game in the NHL. As does Barkov, even if Barkov already plays the fast puck movement, positional game, but he will have to learn to use his feet more to bring his offense to NHL level. Mackinnons game is more NHL style than the other two, but he also will have some kind of growing pains I think. Most of the prospects do.

Interesting trio to watch for sure. A line of these three would be fun to watch. :naughty:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I think the game we will see from Drouin in NHL won't have a lot of resemblance to his game in junior. He will most propably move towards quick passing, more straight forward style. He won't stickhandle his way up the ice in the NHL (at least not yet this season), there is less time, better defensive players so he will have to use his quick passing with quick decision making to get things done.

With Stamkos and St Louis he would have those players capable of fast game.

Drouin will have to find his game in the NHL. As does Barkov, even if Barkov already plays the fast puck movement, positional game, but he will have to learn to use his feet more to bring his offense to NHL level. Mackinnons game is more NHL style than the other two, but he also will have some kind of growing pains I think. Most of the prospects do.

Interesting trio to watch for sure. A line of these three would be fun to watch. :naughty:
With Purcell and Stamkos as two snipers who can bury the puck, Drouin can be plugged in on the first or second line. He's in the ideal situation, learning from Marty St. Louis, and will likely see ample powerplay minutes from the start. Killorn is also a great young player. Drouin should have plenty of time to come along slowly and develop his game at the NHL level, since the offensive load will not be placed on his shoulders for a couple more years until St. Louis retires. Stamkos and Drouin are obviously the future of that team. Unfortunately for us, Barkov likely will be relied on to produce on an earlier timeline, but that's okay. He's a big, strong player and hopefully can put up 40 points this season without getting injured.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Nick Bjugstad ‏@NBjugstad72

Felt like a drivers ed instructor today when @Barkovsasha95 hit the highway for his first time. #ledfoot #blindspot pic.twitter.com/W8PP2Bi65d

BVDRAE4CIAADTsA.jpg

Florida Panthers ‏@FlaPanthers

What do you think, is @kopy82 safe with @Barkovsasha95 at the wheel? Cc: @NBjugstad72 #RookieDuties #FlaPanthers pic.twitter.com/rk0h9eK2Wx

BVGdC4ECYAAWjvJ.jpg
A bit different than the Tampere highway I'm guessing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad