Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk (2014-15 season) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Any word on how Matteau has looked, beyond his putrid numbers? I guess it's easy to forget how young he is. It feels like he's been around a while. If there is a deadline purge of veterans in NJ, he might get the call. I really hope he can be more than Bernier 2.0.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Did you see highlights from Wedgewood's last game? He's the worst pro goaltender in North America. I have a hard time believing that Clermont wouldn't be a better option right now. Anthony Brodeur might even be next year too.

Albany is ****ed if Clemmensen can't win some games for them, now that Kinkaid is gone.

Wedge is having a tough time now but he's proven to win at tge AHL level last season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wedge is having a tough time now but he's proven to win at tge AHL level last season.

He won his last game. After allowing 3 goals in the 3rd period, two of them being bad goals. He sucks.

LOL @ all the comments about him being Marty's heir. I think I was even one of them saying it too. :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People wanted Wedge to be the heir cause of his puckhandling ability.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Nah...I think the thought was if he was good enough to be selected Team Canada for WJC he was a good goalie...

Not only that, but he was slated as the backup for the WJCs and then usurped the throne, though I can't remember from who, with how well he was playing. But since then, he's struggled to be average, basically.

But tell me you didn't get a little bit of twinge when you saw him make this play...

(move ahead to 1:25)

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
So quick to throw some of these kids under the bus and say they're terrible, it's hilarious. :laugh:

We'll see how it plays out but obviously Wedge is struggling this year. He can turn it around.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Goalies can take longer to develop than defensemen. Wedge is just having a tough time. Even the ones "destined for greatness" like half the Anaheim minor league goalies, have struggled mightily.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Goalies can take longer to develop than defensemen. Wedge is just having a tough time. Even the ones "destined for greatness" like half the Anaheim minor league goalies, have struggled mightily.

I hear what you are saying and he is only 22 years old...but he has yet to crack .900 in the AHL. Struggling is one thing, never have success is another.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've seen Wedge play in person up in Albany and also in Trenton.
The games I attended, he was sharp and had above average reflexes and quickness.

He did look somewhat "small" in net, but so does Jon Quick and others in the bigs.

It could be that he's just not going to improve but I think he has the ability to make it.

Let's remember that Kinkaid is 25.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So quick to throw some of these kids under the bus and say they're terrible, it's hilarious. :laugh:

We'll see how it plays out but obviously Wedge is struggling this year. He can turn it around.

Except he isn't struggling, unless you consider his entire AHL career struggling.

He hasn't been good. PERIOD.

We have little need for him anyway. He blows.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Except he isn't struggling, unless you consider his entire AHL career struggling.

All 53 games of it?

I think u need to get a grip on this one.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So Reid is on a 4 game point streak with 3 goals and 2 assists over that time.

I feel a little better.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Never said he has been good but it's lunacy to give up on him after 50 games too.

People need to pump the brakes here. Not every goalie is a superstar right out of the gate. As the poster above noted, Kinkaid is 25 right now and just getting into his first real action. He's much more seasoned than Wedge at this stage for obvious reasons.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
No one's GIVING UP on Wedge, per se, but at this point, he's shown very little in the AHL that suggests there's more to his game.

Yes Kinkaid is 25, but he's also been impressive since his rookie AHL year. Wedgewood's in his 3rd year of professional hockey and we've yet to see him keep his head above water for more than a few games at a time. Generally speaking, if a player's got potential, you see glimpses of it. 3 straight below-average seasons aren't exactly promising.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
No one's GIVING UP on Wedge, per se, but at this point, he's shown very little in the AHL that suggests there's more to his game.

Yes Kinkaid is 25, but he's also been impressive since his rookie AHL year. Wedgewood's in his 3rd year of professional hockey and we've yet to see him keep his head above water for more than a few games at a time. Generally speaking, if a player's got potential, you see glimpses of it. 3 straight below-average seasons aren't exactly promising.

Yes, saying that a 22 year old with 50 games under his belt is the worst goalie in North America and that we don't need him is essentially giving up on him.

But yes, I do agree that we need to see improvement. All I'm saying is that it's still too early to disregard him entirely. Give him more of a chance than 50 games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All 53 games of it?

I think u need to get a grip on this one.

I think that's a large enough sample size to say he's bad. He can improve, but I don't think he will.

It's not like it's just one season of being bad, it's a season and a half now.

I'm pretty sure he was below average by ECHL standards when he was there too, but I can't say for sure.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Any word on how Matteau has looked, beyond his putrid numbers? I guess it's easy to forget how young he is. It feels like he's been around a while. If there is a deadline purge of veterans in NJ, he might get the call. I really hope he can be more than Bernier 2.0.

I think he will be a Matt Martin/Clutterbuck type. He hits hard and is pretty aggressive in the Forecheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad