Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk (2014-15 season) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Went to the Albany v. Hartford game last Wednesday (one of about 500 who did haha).

I was taken by Burlon's skating ability. I don't see him enough to comment on other areas of his game, but his skating is really something.

Graham Black looks like he's settling in and showing some good offensive awareness. Made a great pass for Darcy Zajac's goal.

Matteau showed good speed and physicality, but I wish he would create more offensively. 22 shots in 17 games isn't going to get it done.

Boucher was quick and creating a lot of opportunities. I believe he hit the post at one point.

3v3 overtime was very exciting. I would support NHL adoption.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Went to the Albany v. Hartford game last Wednesday (one of about 500 who did haha).

I was taken by Burlon's skating ability. I don't see him enough to comment on other areas of his game, but his skating is really something.

Graham Black looks like he's settling in and showing some good offensive awareness. Made a great pass for Darcy Zajac's goal.

Matteau showed good speed and physicality, but I wish he would create more offensively. 22 shots in 17 games isn't going to get it done.

Boucher was quick and creating a lot of opportunities. I believe he hit the post at one point.

3v3 overtime was very exciting. I would support NHL adoption.
What happened to this guy? If I'm not mistaken, a few years ago he and Gelinas were considered to be a big part of our future blue line. I remember hearing about him every now and then but other than that he has just fallen of the radar. Did he not develop the way he was expected to or is he just not good enough for the NHL? I know there is no room for him in the Devils roster but I consider it odd he hasn't gotten any looks at the big league.

But yeah, Black has certainly looked good so far from what I have seen. A positive surprise to me. Boucher has not produced as well as I expected and I still am a little skeptical about him despite the numbers he has been able to put up in the past. Hoping for the best though.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
What happened to this guy? If I'm not mistaken, a few years ago he and Gelinas were considered to be a big part of our future blue line. I remember hearing about him every now and then but other than that he has just fallen of the radar. Did he not develop the way he was expected to or is he just not good enough for the NHL? I know there is no room for him in the Devils roster but I consider it odd he hasn't gotten any looks at the big league.

But yeah, Black has certainly looked good so far from what I have seen. A positive surprise to me. Boucher has not produced as well as I expected and I still am a little skeptical about him despite the numbers he has been able to put up in the past. Hoping for the best though.

I think in Burlon's case it's just a matter of him getting passed on the depth chart by guys like Merrill, Severson, etc. I think he's got the skills to be a bottom pairing defenceman in the NHL but probably not with the Devils.

People only seem to look at Boucher and Matteau as forward options for next year but I think Black could be an option in a third or fourth line center role if he keeps up his play. I think Blake Coleman could be an option at some point next year too.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I think in Burlon's case it's just a matter of him getting passed on the depth chart by guys like Merrill, Severson, etc. I think he's got the skills to be a bottom pairing defenceman in the NHL but probably not with the Devils.

People only seem to look at Boucher and Matteau as forward options for next year but I think Black could be an option in a third or fourth line center role if he keeps up his play. I think Blake Coleman could be an option at some point next year too.

I agree about Black but is anyone else worried about Matteau and Boucher? Shouldn't they be scoring more?

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
I agree about Black but is anyone else worried about Matteau and Boucher? Shouldn't they be scoring more?

It's the first half of their sophomore season. (Technically Matteau's junior year) A little adversity is to be expected. Let's see how they handle it.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I suppose that it is good Myles Bell is leading Evansville in goals? :dunno: Why isn't he in Albany?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

And Pietila.

People don't realize it but the guys coming off four year college careers generally are much close to the NHL than the guys coming out of the OHL. The more physical college game does wonders for preparing these guys for the grind of the NHL. It's also why Fayne was able to jump right in halfway through his rookie year and not look out of place in the NHL.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Can you elaborate on Bell? What's been the issue with his play? Is it just getting adjusted to a pro game, or is it something more?

I mean, I haven't watched him considering it's the ECHL, but he's 1 point in his last 9 games.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I mean, I haven't watched him considering it's the ECHL, but he's 1 point in his last 9 games.

He has 8 goals in 17 games and leads the team in goals...inconsistencies from a first year Pro is not unusual but he's doing what he's supposed to be doing and that is score goals.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Jim, you might want to head up to Hartford tomorrow. Myles Bell and Alexandre Carrier were recalled from the ECHL to Albany today. They play tomorrow in Hartford. They also play in WB/Scranton on the 19th. Maybe he'll still be with the team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jim, you might want to head up to Hartford tomorrow. Myles Bell and Alexandre Carrier were recalled from the ECHL to Albany today. They play tomorrow in Hartford. They also play in WB/Scranton on the 19th. Maybe he'll still be with the team.

Thanks for the info...I can't get to Hartford tomorrow, wish I could though.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I believe nephew of Claude Carrier (Devils scout) signed by us a few years ago. Bottom six fw assigned to ECHL. Played in CHL last year.

The only reason he was signed I'm sure

Conte's son is on the scouting staff too, I'm sure based on merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad