Albany Devils 2016 AHL playoffs talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Group Chat Legend*

Where can you catch the games on tv/stream?

no pop up sites please.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Santini and Wood won't be playing for Albany. But Josh Jacobs will. Where does he fit on the defense?

Helgeson - Severson will be the first pairing I assume. Then who???

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Burlon (55 GP), Kelly (54 GP), Gragnani (55 GP), Mozik (50 GP), Scarlett (58 GP), Hrabarenka (46 GP), McPherson (63 GP).

I'd guess Mozik, McPherson, Burlon, and Hrabarenka?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jacobs should be an immediate upgrade on the defense.

If Jacobs isn't immediate upgrade over Gragnani, he doesn't have much of future...because Gragnani apparently is Italian for garbage.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gragnani is a good AHL defenseman. I doubt Jacobs usurps him in the lineup.

Well, for one thing MAG is a lefty dman and Jacobs is a RHD. So I'd assume that they aren't really competing for the same spot...

But Gragnani is a very average AHL dman. And when you factor his age, 29 years old, he really is below average with nothing left to grow. That equals garbage.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Jacobs should be an immediate upgrade on the defense.

If Jacobs isn't immediate upgrade over Gragnani, he doesn't have much of future...because Gragnani apparently is Italian for garbage.

Gragnani is a good AHL defenseman. I doubt Jacobs usurps him in the lineup.

I doubt Jacobs plays much unless he impresses a lot in the next few games.

There's just too much depth on the right side with Severson, Hrabarenka, Scarlett, Mozik, and McPherson. Left side also has Burlon, Helgeson, Kelly, and Gragnani so it's not too shabby either.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well, for one thing MAG is a lefty dman and Jacobs is a RHD. So I'd assume that they aren't really competing for the same spot...

But Gragnani is a very average AHL dman. And when you factor his age, 29 years old, he's really is below average with nothing left to grow. That equals garbage.

31 points in 55 games is not average. He's a top end AHL defender.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Take a look at some of the numbers Matt Taormina, Jim Fahey or Peter Harrold put up on far inferior NJ affiliate teams and in the AHL in general.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Take a look at some of the numbers Matt Taormina, Jim Fahey or Peter Harrold put up on far inferior NJ affiliate teams and in the AHL in general.

Their numbers aren't much better, if they even are than Gragnani's.

Albany has a lot of very good AHL defenders right now so I would expect his numbers to be high. He's not really in a position to monopolize PP or offensive opportunities. Those numbers lead the team in points from a defender as well.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It'll be interesting to see how Kowalsky handles the last few regular season games. Will he give everyone a chance to play to see how they do, or will he try to run the lineups he thinks are the best and try to get the chemistry going right away?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
For a 29 year old career minor leaguer on a decent team it's nothing special.

No one is saying Gragnani is more valuable to the organization. However, he's been a top offensive defenseman in the AHL for quite some time and is most likely a better player for the upcoming playoff series.

He makes a $225,000 AHL salary, which is quite a bit.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
damn, if I lived in the area I'd definitely go

I know you're in the Philly area, but the drive from North Jersey is not bad.
About 2 hours straight up Route 87.

I know fans that have booked a motel room on Saturday nights & caught the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon games earlier this season.

I see a large NJ fan presence up in Albany this playoffs.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
I know you're in the Philly area, but the drive from North Jersey is not bad.
About 2 hours straight up Route 87.

I know fans that have booked a motel room on Saturday nights & caught the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon games earlier this season.

I see a large NJ fan presence up in Albany this playoffs.

That'd be a really fun road trip. If I still lived in the area I'd totally do it!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm planning on driving up but I may want a round or two hoping the team wins some rounds. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad