Player Discussion Alain Vigneault Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So, after not being right for 2.75 years and being partially right now, do you feel vindicated for your heroic stance?
I do!

vindicators-02.jpg

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Anyone who didn't at least come to the conclusion that after the 2016 series vs the Pens that AV should have been fired is delusional. Before that you could validate him still being coach after an SCF and ECF run.

That should be the official 100% agreed upon expiration date for AV. He's at least been coach for, by season's end, 2 years too long.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He was right for the other 2.75 as well. AV's bacon was saved by goalie greatness.

When your system is predicated on goalie greatness, I don’t see that as a valid point.

Anyone who didn't at least come to the conclusion that after the 2016 series vs the Pens that AV should have been fired is delusional. Before that you could validate him still being coach after an SCF and ECF run.

That should be the official 100% agreed upon expiration date for AV. He's at least been coach for, by season's end, 2 years too long.

Somewhat agree. Except I would move the expiration to October 2016 when, after seeing his system collapse 6 months earlier, it became clear he wasn’t going to adjust the system.

Reactions: kovazub94

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
3 years too long...honestly even the cup finals run was super smoke and mirrors.
I don't entirely agree with this. That 13-14 team was good. And one of the main reasons for that was it was before AV could really put his stamp on the squad. A lot of the players on that team were Torts holdovers. It's no surprise that the longer AV has been here, the worse the team has gotten. This year being somewhat of a remarkably impressive dumpster fire.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't entirely agree with this. That 13-14 team was good. And one of the main reasons for that was it was before AV could really put his stamp on the squad. A lot of the players on that team were Torts holdovers. It's no surprise that the longer AV has been here, the worse the team has gotten. This year being somewhat of a remarkably impressive dumpster fire.

The 14-15 team was better.

The roster has gone steadily downhill from there.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I would agree 100% SF. I don't see how the 13-14 team was a fluke run. We were the better team in every Eastern conference series, maybe even with the Penguins in the playoffs, and a top-3 team in the 2nd half of the regular season. Definitelythe best team during the Hank era we have had.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If you look at the 13-14 team in the 2nd half of the season, when they really found their footing, they went 25-12-4, so it's not like they were struggling to win games. Their metrics were also much better than the 14-15 teams. In fact, the 14-15 team got worse in the 2nd half of the season compared to the 1st half of the season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Maybe, maybe not. The 13-14 team got farther. That's what we know for fact.

And yet, we also know for a fact that the 14-15 team won more games overall, including almost 18% more in the regular season, including almost 20% more ROWs, which is pretty significant. They won 2 less games in the playoffs, so it’s not like they weren’t close in that setting either. 3rd in both GF and GA, compared to 19/4 in 13-14.

In no way do I think the 13-14 was anything but a great team. And from one year to the next, all of the important players are the same, so it’s really talking about two of the same team, but the idea that they peaked solely in 13-14 is flat out incorrect. The peak lasted two years.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Disagree. 14-15 is when the team started being one dimensional. That’s when the getting pinned in the dzone but scoring a ton of goals off the rush to bail them out started.

13-14 was a machine. Also no Tanner Glass.

This argument made me chuckle. How about I throw Yandle on 3rd pair as a counterweight?

Otherwise you call it one dimensional, I call it coming into its own. That team was truly the fastest in the league until other teams started to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad