Player Discussion Alain Vigneault Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
When you have a healthy, talented and motivated team... literally any system will work.

From November/December of 2013 to the end of 2015 the Rangers were the best team in the NHL. And they still labored through a bunch of playoff series against inferior teams. Every time they took their foot off the gas the opposition made them look like amateurs. A good coach with a solid approach is suppose to help fill those gaps.

If you didn’t see the warning signs with this coach and his stupid nonsense... I don’t know what to tell you. I hear the Verrazano is for sale.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
This argument made me chuckle. How about I throw Yandle on 3rd pair as a counterweight?

Otherwise you call it one dimensional, I call it coming into its own. That team was truly the fastest in the league until other teams started to catch up.

I think ultimately this argument is preference. If that 14-15 team didn't have Zucc out and half it's D on one leg, they probably win the Tampa series. I also think they have a really good chance of beating Chicago too but I also feel the 13-14 team would have had just as good of a chance. 13-14 was a bad draw getting that LA team.

13-14 had a great 4th line that was much superior to 14-15 but 14-15 also had Yandle in place of John Moore. 14-15 had a much better version of Rick Nash but also had a much worse version of Marty St. Louis. 14-15 had Hayes instead of Richards.

I personally prefer 13-14 as they had 4 different lines who they could roll out in certain scenarios with no issues and they had the better possession metrics but you can't go wrong with either.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
This argument made me chuckle. How about I throw Yandle on 3rd pair as a counterweight?

Otherwise you call it one dimensional, I call it coming into its own. That team was truly the fastest in the league until other teams started to catch up.
I think the 13-14 team was faster, and was a much more multi-faceted attack than any of the AV teams that we have seen since. I have gone in-depth into the statistics before and the 13-14 team was better in shot generation, generating scoring chances, generating high-danger scoring chances, and in the 2nd half on 13-14 were just as good as the 14-15 at scoring goals even though their shooting percentage was over a full point lower, and better defensively. Unfortunately we ran into the only team in the league that was clearly better than them in the finals. Otherwise they would have won the cup.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
When you have a healthy, talented and motivated team... literally any system will work.

From November/December of 2013 to the end of 2015 the Rangers were the best team in the NHL. And they still labored through a bunch of playoff series against inferior teams. Every time they took their foot off the gas the opposition made them look like amateurs. A good coach with a solid approach is suppose to help fill those gaps.

If you didn’t see the warning signs with this coach and his stupid nonsense... I don’t know what to tell you. I hear the Verrazano is for sale.

Perhaps when we reach the point where you are slobbering over some coach because he's playing Tony DeAngelo 20 minutes a night while the Rangers get tattooed every night, you'll have an epiphany and long for the days of AV and the Rangers not winning playoff series after playoff series to the level of your liking.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
“Just as good in the second half” is another way of saying “if we change the standards for one but not the other”

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Kind of like if the 14-15 was healthy, eh? ;) :)

Actually, no. It’s applying the same standards. The 2014 team was healthy. The 2015 team wasn’t. I’m not talking about the injuries fought through by their D.

If the 2014 Rangers had lost a top 5 regular season scorer for a significant number of their playoff games, they wouldn’t have gotten as far either.

I also personally believe the Rangers win it all in 2014 if the Blackhawks win game 7 of the WCF.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Perhaps when we reach the point where you are slobbering over some coach because he's playing Tony DeAngelo 20 minutes a night while the Rangers get tattooed every night, you'll have an epiphany and long for the days of AV and the Rangers not winning playoff series after playoff series to the level of your liking.

The Rangers have been getting tattooed all season. So no.

AV is on the short list, and by that I mean he’s alone, of Rangers coaches I’ve seen who’s stupidity, inflexiblity and hubris have actually cost them a playoff series. Which is impressive. How anyone with a thimble of sense could have watched that Ottawa series and not been like “that wasn’t the worst coaching job ever” is a f***ing marvel. And that’s taking into consideration this is the internet and there is probably someone on this forum who thinks AV is a visitor from another planet.

You know what I absolutely will “long for”? A good team. Because we may not have one for a good while. And the ones we had were wasted with a stubborn imbecile at the helm.

Last edited:

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I think AV is an extremely likable character, and he has "pedigree," and those are important things for a coach in a rebuild. I wish our local media really called him to task for Ottawa because seriously what the f*** was that

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers have been getting tattooed all season. So no.

AV is on the short list, and by that I mean he’s alone, of Rangers coaches I’ve seen who’s stupidity, inflexiblity and hubris have actually cost them a playoff series. Which is impressive. How anyone with a thimble of sense could have watched that Ottawa series and not been like “that wasn’t the worst coaching job ever” is a ****ing marvel. And that’s taking into consideration this is the internet and there is probably someone on this forum who thinks AV is a visitor from another planet.

You know what I absolutely will “long for”? A good team. Because we may not have one for a good while. And the ones we had were wasted with a stubborn imbecile at the helm.

Plenty of people thought Tortorella made moves that cost us the series against the Devils.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Plenty of people thought Tortorella made moves that cost us the series against the Devils.

There is an enormous different between making a mistake or making mistakes and making the same insanely costly mistakes repeatedly. Like, in the same game. Or series.

No coach is perfect. The one Ranger coach who’s won a cup in my lifetime was an incredibly imperfect coach.

I think anyone that watched Torts probably had some problems with him. He definitely had some issues. Both with his system and his demeanor. But I really don’t see how they are comparable.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Blues fan here in piece, just wondering if people feel it is more likely that AV is fired? While I doubt the Blues can afford him. He would be an upgrade to Yeo. Thanks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Blues fan here in piece, just wondering if people feel it is more likely that AV is fired? While I doubt the Blues can afford him. He would be an upgrade to Yeo. Thanks.

The mood regarding AV is too toxic around here to get a level headed response about him from most of the posters here.

I think it’s likely AV does get fired after the season.

He’s a good coach with the right roster who seems to not be capable of tailoring a system to a changing roster. He’s run his course here, but he will quickly find another job and win a lot of games there.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The '14 team had trouble against bigger grinding teams that forced the game on the boards. The Rangers that year excelled in open ice but not on the walls.

The 15 team... imo that was a stronger group, but lacked a killer instinct. I know a lot of folks got on Old Man MSL... but AV could have managed his minutes better to keep him fresh. MSL was the heartbeat of that group and that team got off to a bad start before shredding it.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The mood regarding AV is too toxic around here to get a level headed response about him from most of the posters here.

I think it’s likely AV does get fired after the season.

He’s a good coach with the right roster who seems to not be capable of tailoring a system to a changing roster. He’s run his course here, but he will quickly find another job and win a lot of games there.

True, very true. He'll be very successful with a team like CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad