Player Discussion Alain Vigneault Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The whole ****ing team was responsible for the first goal. Kreider was responsible for the second goal.

They have been our worst D-pairing all season, this is not even a debate. Worst pairing game 1 too. There's no reason they should be a pair, much less playing the final seconds of the game.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I have been an AV pseudo defender in the past. I HAVE questioned if he can get us all the way. Yes he's won Pres Trophies. Yes he's a good coach in the NHL with a tremendous record.

But I have now switched sides.

I cannot condone the turtle. I hated it against LA. Hated it in the 14-15 season. Hate in in the regular season. Hated it in game 1. Obviously wasn't fond of it last night.

Hate the mentality of it all.

But the fact that he won't adjust... that he won't change. The fact that he had Staal and Holden on the ice for THAT goal is INEXCUSABLE.

I want him gone and I honestly know people will say "for who?" And I honestly don't care now. I don't.

My response is "someone with balls"
In the light of day this am... that's my response. I'm sick of the pansification of this team.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'm in a blind rage right now. I can't remember when I was this pissed off about a loss. If AV doesn't get fired off this series, we're dead in the water because our coach and GM are both imbeciles.

He wont get fired even if Montreal wins in 5. He was just given an extension. Best case scenario is he gets let go mid season next year during a losing streak.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
I'm getting sick of people on this board saying "he wont get fired bc he got an extension" that doesn't mean jack****, we have seen coaches get canned regardless

just bc u got an extension doesn't mean your all of a sudden "untouchable"

we all know hank had a say in torts firing, could be the same here u never know, look how pissed off he was last night, u could see it

hire sutter

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Henrik has sometimes been talking about the defense this year in regular season - even fans on the Rangers podcast don`t like Henrik comment on that, but I don`t really mind. Because Henrik`s words usually carry weight in the org. and others need to analyze Henrik`s words, and that is Glen Sather in the end of this season. If we get another early exit I think the org. need evaluate Rangers defense and the current system.

And when you have the puck it`s impossible for the other team to score - it`s simple like that in hockey so possession is important.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I would have to think Beuk tapped Staal and Holden when Mac and G came off for that change.

Cannot fathom right now, that if Mac and G needed rest, as to why Smith and Skjei didnt come over the boards. Cannot figure it out.

Instead we get that ***** Holden in front of his own net covering nobody, going down to the ice and blocking the puck into his own net.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Henrik has sometimes been talking about the defense this year in regular season - even fans on the Rangers podcast don`t like Henrik comment on that, but I don`t really mind. Because Henrik`s words usually carry weight in the org. and others need to analyze Henrik`s words, and that is Glen Sather in the end of this season. If we get another early exit I think the org. need evaluate Rangers defense and the current system.

And when you have the puck it`s impossible for the other team to score - it`s simple like that in hockey so possession is important.

This is what blows my mind.

If you can, somehow, put aside that AV lost a cup final by turtling against LA and the fact that that should have been a crystal clear lesson about why this strategy is flawed.

It's still basic hockey logic that playing offense is the best defense. If you're up one and you don't want the other team to score, you should be shooting to possess the puck in their end as much as possible. Instead, NYR were literally getting possession, then ceding it to the other team so that they could change immediately. They did this for 20 minutes. The other team dominated possession all period, as anyone could have predicted with that strategy. And they shelled the Rangers, as anyone could have predicted with that strategy. And then they eventually scored the one goal they needed, which was not at all surprising given the way NYR were playing.

Then the cherry on top is, after 20 minutes of playing defense only, the team is exhausted and in a mindset of being careful and playing conservative – they can't, won't and didn't just flick the switch back to being aggressive and spirited. That's not the way people's brains work, especially as their bodies become more and more tired.

The fact that any coach doesn't get all of this is shocking, and the fact that AV in particular doesn't get it after the fiasco against LA is unforgivable.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This is what blows my mind.

If you can, somehow, put aside that AV lost a cup final by turtling against LA and the fact that that should have been a crystal clear lesson about why this strategy is flawed.

It's still basic hockey logic that playing offense is the best defense. If you're up one and you don't want the other team to score, you should be shooting to possess the puck in their end as much as possible. Instead, NYR were literally getting possession, then ceding it to the other team so that they could change immediately. They did this for 20 minutes. The other team dominated possession all period, as anyone could have predicted with that strategy. And they shelled the Rangers, as anyone could have predicted with that strategy. And then they eventually scored the one goal they needed, which was not at all surprising given the way NYR were playing.

Then the cherry on top is, after 20 minutes of playing defense only, the team is exhausted and in a mindset of being careful and playing conservative – they can't, won't and didn't just flick the switch back to being aggressive and spirited. That's not the way people's brains work, especially as their bodies become more and more tired.

The fact that any coach doesn't get all of this is shocking, and the fact that AV in particular doesn't get it after the fiasco against LA is unforgivable.
So...much....this.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would have to think Beuk tapped Staal and Holden when Mac and G came off for that change.

Cannot fathom right now, that if Mac and G needed rest, as to why Smith and Skjei didnt come over the boards. Cannot figure it out.

Instead we get that ***** Holden in front of his own net covering nobody, going down to the ice and blocking the puck into his own net.

Should've been Staal and Smith. In the past, they've put out their two more stalwart defensive players to protect the lead late as the secondary late pairing. Staal/Klein instead of Staal/Boyle or Yandle/Klein for example.

Also, poor bench and clock management that McDonagh and Girardi were in need of that rest.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
There were obvious signs in game 1 that the Holden-Staal pairing needed to be upgraded, multiple high danger scoring chances off of bad plays by those two. In game two same story and this time it cost them. Smart coaching would have adjusted for game 2. Second, the offense is still not doing enough, barely creating any chances, needs to tinker with the forward pairings so and get more out of Zib, Hayes, Kreisler, Miller.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Unfortunately, it also means he won't adjust and will make the same mistakes over and over again since he fails to remember how his idiotic coaching strategy failed previously

That's what I got from that comment as well. AV is totally clueless and stubborn as a friggin mule.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Should've been Staal and Smith. In the past, they've put out their two more stalwart defensive players to protect the lead late as the secondary late pairing. Staal/Klein instead of Staal/Boyle or Yandle/Klein for example.

Also, poor bench and clock management that McDonagh and Girardi were in need of that rest.

I thought the same actually. But you need to ride your best horses at the Height of the Battle, not your three legged ponies. Any Commander would know that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad