Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach Part 2

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I really don't see what positive return you're going to get on trading Ghost. He's extremely cap controlled and has proven to be a 50+ point defenseman. A good coach works to maximize his skill set and a bad one works to diminish them. There's very few defenders in the entire league without any sort of deficiency.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I really don't see what positive return you're going to get on trading Ghost. He's extremely cap controlled and has proven to be a 50+ point defenseman. A good coach works to maximize his skill set and a bad one works to diminish them. There's very few defenders in the entire league without any sort of deficiency.

60+

Happy birthday, Shayne!

Reactions: Ruck Over

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So I have seen all the digital billboards along 95 welcoming AV. I mean I am glad Hakstol and Gordon are gone but I am just kind of meh with this guy. I hope my gut feeling is wrong. I think too many years of Berube and Hak have created ptsd.....

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Ghost is the best ppqb on the team and one of the best in the league. While his defense isn't on the level of timonen and his size prevents him from ever being much of a crease clearer to say hes a 3rd pairing guy is ludicrous. It's going to be als job to put him in a position to succeed and hopefully get him to round his game whixh would put him among the leagues elite

Reactions: Tripod and BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Montreal used Streit on their 3rd pair when he put up 62 points.
It's not a matter of "labels," but strategic usage.

When Myers is ready:
Provorov - Myers
Sanheim - Gudas
might be your best four on the PK and in late game situations where opposing teams are behind and pressing.

Ghost is your best PP QB, so he should get the lion share of PP minutes
When the team is behind, give Gudas' minutes to Ghost.

Morin, we'll see, he's LHD and right now headed toward limited usage until he shows he can handle NHL speed and agility.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
So you are saying the car booed him? Typical Negadelphia. Shake my damned head.

Knowing Philadelphian drivers at rush hour, it was probably neither to celebrate nor to denigrate AV nor the welcome. The driver was probably pissed he had to slow down. Gee whiz [ not to be confused with Cheese Whiz for a Philly Cheesesteak.....] it might take an extra 30 seconds to get where he was going.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh, Philly drivers have no idea what real traffic is like, try escaping Houston during rush hour, bumper to bumper for 30 miles.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Another uneducated American

;)

funny-picture-canada-attacked-us-with-nickleback-and-justin-bieber.jpg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Well, Montreal used Streit on their 3rd pair when he put up 62 points.
It's not a matter of "labels," but strategic usage.

Yeah, it's tough to label. I get what you're saying here, but that was a murky season. He played with a bunch of partners up and down the lineup. Here's the defense pairing ice times for 2007-08:

Ms2d8OQ.jpg

Dr Pecker

Dec 18, 2018
Not sure if anyone read this article, but gave me a good laugh.

I moved along to Locust Rendezvous, commonly referred to as “The Vous”. I caught Dani Marks on her way to get a round of kamikaze shots. Dani was a big Flyers fan who was frustrated by the team’s recent mediocrity. “Hakstol really pissed me off. Holy shit, yeah, let’s throw Andrew MacDonald back in there for another 32 minutes. He’s not getting any better Hak! Holy shit. I mean, oh my god. What are you even doing out there? You could stick a parrot behind the bench and it would make better coaching decisions.”

Flyperblog: Flyers fans chime in on Alain VigneaultFlyperblog: Flyers fans chime in on Alain Vigneault

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I'm '73..yeah, solid unexciting middle age.

I did grow up with corded rotary phones, awesome (not) 70's/80's styles, disco, mustaches and the gorgeous Linda Carter!!

'71 here. Had a rotary (then push button) phone in the kitchen, on the wall with an insanely long cord. And yes, Linda Carter's Wonder Woman was my first crush.

I'm kind of jealous. The expectation of instant, on-demand communication is a real chore. I can't stand getting text messages throughout the day from various people, all of whom get pissed if you don't respond immediately. Then they want to engage in conversations. Um, I'm trying to work and/or post on HF. I don't have time to carry on multiple vapid text conversations with various people at once. I'm not sure how other people do it.

Agreed. And the biggest offenders in my life are my daughters (I have 4 of them, all of them teenaged and older). I have to constantly remind them when I inevitably get the irritated "Dad,dad,dad" messages that I AM AT WORK, and that I am not always in my office,nor is my phone connected to my hand.

Meh, Philly drivers have no idea what real traffic is like, try escaping Houston during rush hour, bumper to bumper for 30 miles.

Try Tokyo, Japan at 5 pm....I swear they came up with the idea of TVs in cars because of traffic. It was first time I had ever seen that and that was in the mid '90's

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
AV is smart enough not to dog any player on his roster at this point. Right now they are all potential AS players....until they're not and gone.
IMO, Ghost is a goner. The reason is that he has already been shone to have some characteristics of an uncoachable player. A couple of seasons back, he went off in the press about not doing what Hakstol wanted out of him because it didn't fit his style of play. It may be true that Hakstol was a poor coach. It also may be what Hakstol was wanting out of him didn't fit with how he saw himself playing but there are times that you take one for the team. A smart player would certainly keep comments like this out of the press. This season saw him locking horns with the coaching staff once again and Gordon basically telling him to keep quiet. IDK if Fletcher is going to take the chance on Ghost working out with AV. Ghost has value and could bring back a quality player in return. On this club, if the Flyers nab a veteran RHD, Ghost is looking at third pair PT. That's not going to play well with him.
As for Hagg, he's young and needs to grow his game. If anything, he's shone that he's a coachable player from his time in lV and here. He's cheap and the type of player that makes the club as a sixth or seventh defenseman. He's never going to be a core guy but the has some skills. If he didn't, he wouldn't be on the Swedish national team. Denis Seiderberg was in a similar situation to Hagg a few years back but managed to become a serviceable third pair player.

IMG_20181021_110348.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad