Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach Part 2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stralman left after 2013-14 as a free agent, signed a 5yr/$22M deal in 2014 with TB, was a steal the first two seasons, then faded away into mediocrity the last three years of his deal.

The problem in NY was the veterans AV coaxed good years out of in 2013-14 started fading in 2014-15, St Louis (39), Nash (30), Moore (34), Klein (30), Boyle (38), Girardi (30), and Yandle was a poor substitute for Stralman. By 2015-16 they weren't talented enough to be a serious SC contender, especially as Lindqvist started to decline. They brought in just enough young talent to tread water (Hayes, Zibanejad, Skjei) before they blew it up after 2017-18.

While the Flyers don't have a superstar either (maybe Couts), they have far more talent in the pipeline, and a better core of young defensemen, as well as a top young goalie. So talent won't be the problem for AV here.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think I just found my new best friend.

It's stuff like this that you were warned about when it comes to AV, from Vancouver and NYR fans. I understand that you wanted to be ecstatic at the hiring and he looks good on paper and his resume, but when you see him mold the team, in action... oh boy, it's not pretty. He does so many stupid things that just baffles you as a hockey fan.

This is what he did in New York. Does any of it ring any bells?
1) He always finds 1-2 garbage players "that works hard" and gives them way too much ice time. They will look horrendeus and he will not flinch to keep giving them ice time. Alot of it. "Because they work hard." Yeah, at chasing the puck they gave away and finding their jockstrap.

2) He will never direct blame towards himself, because he believes in his own hype. He will always blame the team and he has no qualms to throw specific players under the bus even in the media. Just why? On a first outlook, he seems like a humble guy, but he's the opposite of that. He's full of himself.

3) His defense will have a tendency to leave a guy right in the open in front of the net. If the opponents can find that backdoor pass, it's most often a sure goal. NYR lead the league in backdoor goals against with AV coaching them during the crash. You think it's bad now? Give it some time, it'll get worse when the team fully plays the AV way and all remnants of the old coach are gone.

Recipe for scoring goals against an AV team: Get possession in the offensive zone. Cycle the puck along the boards a couple of times switching sides, then have someone pinch backdoor. Get the puck to him. Score. Jack Adams my ass.

4) In the playoffs, his offensive strategy will be read like an open book by the opponents. If they shut down the stretch pass, then what? AV will remain passive and if he tries to be active, he will only make it worse. He has no answers once the opponents eventually figure him out. He has never had a plan B in his life.

5) I've never seen a team coached by AV having a functioning PP. It has historically sucked ass and probably always will.

6) He also loves to put slow skating defensemen in a role they absolutely cannot handle.

7) If everything crashes, he always has his last outing card, he will do what just about any beer fan would: he will blame the goalie. He had Luongo in his prime, he had Lundqvist still being elite, he now has Hart. Not good enough for AV. He wants Jesus in net - if he can keep up with his system. He's a goalie's nightmare.

8) That gum chewing, arrogant smirk. If I could pay $50 to be able to punch it, I would at least consider it.

I could go on and on. He has his stretch pass and he thinks it's magic. He has a weird way of thinking how you can defend in your own zone. He has slimmed off his most crazy ideas since NYR, but you can still see it's an AV team. He's a pond hockey romantic I guess. I think he's one of the most overrated coaches out there. I have no idea why he's always nominated for so many awards, it's not like he gets loser teams to coach. But when he's finished, they will be a loser team. He will run them into the ground and NONE of it will be his fault, in his eyes.

I'm not a Flyers fan by any means, but I still feel sorry for you guys that Philly hired him. AV is that over the hill, old fashioned, stubborn, incompetent company president that keeps getting new jobs, just because he has experience at the job, is good at talking and has a flashy CV. He runs them into the ground and then gets a new job. He single handedly convinced the NYR management they needed a panic rebuild, when they didn't. They just had to sack Vigneault and get a real coach. A university coach got on par results with a far worse team than Vigneault had.

Of all the coaches I've seen in New York (Renney, Tortorella, Vigneault, Quinn), Vigneault if by far the worst one. The other guys at least seem to know what they're doing, even if they have their quirks and bad habits as well. Not as many critical ones as Vigneault. He thinks he's likeable among his players, which just make them dislike him even more. Most assholes are self aware enough to know they're assholes. Not Vigneault, he's too arrogant and narcissistic.

Nope, those NYR teams certainly weren't that talented. They had Carl Hagelin as a top 6 winger, that says alot. A very soon to be retired, over the hill mercenary St Louis was one of their best forwards. Nash was invisible as always. McDonagh was solid defensively and maybe a true #1 D-man. Strålman was really good though as a #2 and of course NYR ditched him for the pylons Girardi/ Staal to albatross contracts (to the delight of Philly I guess ;), thanks again $ather). At least Strålman could skate and pass the puck and had a nasty hip check. Alot of pylons on defense and AV wanted them to play like they all were Erik Karlsson in his prime. He wanted them to play a man to man defense/ overload hybrid. Total chaos.

The entire forward position was mostly carried by Brassard and Zuccarello on the 3rd line. The 4th line was good though, really good. Both giant Brian Boyle and Dominic Moore. All in all, not a Stanley Cup caliber team.

When the Conn Smythe candidates on the team were 1) Lundqvist 2) Lundqvist and 3) McDonagh maybe out of consolation(?), you're not winning a cup. I have no clue how they reached the finals, they were dominated from round 1 and forward. Well, because of their only Conn Smythe candidate, he played out of his mind. He had to be the best player on the ice every series - and he was.

It was basically the same story with Tortorella in 11/12, but he at least realized and completely understood it was Lundqvist and him only that would give the team a chance at success. Hence the pillbox defense and panic mode to just clear the puck for 60 minutes and a grindfest if the puck got to the other end, hoping to get a goal somehow. If NYR allowed 0-1, it was a mountain to climb. 0-2 and it was all over.

I think part of the reason why the team had success in 13/14 was because the team was still schooled the Tortorella, grindfest, eat nails for breakfast kind of way, while Vigneault wanted them to focus on that stretch pass. That's where a player like Carl Hagelin was gold and Kreider to some extent. He could skate like the wind and that was enough. They ignored Vigneault's other nonsense on the defensive end and it worked somehow. Apart from the abysmal PP of course. But then Vigneault's system set in to 100% next year and it was all over. A total circus in the own end. The pillbox era was over.

If you're not interested in the NYR stuff because your gag reflex sets in:
837_su.gif

I think Philly should do what NYR did, look for new blood elsewhere. Younger, more modern coaches who know modern hockey. These archaic, outdated, stubborn old bastards still getting coaching jobs just have to go. They don't even know they can't yell racist slurs to their players in 2020, that says it all. Some of them still think it's effective coaching to yell and rant like a pissed off drill sergeant or an old, scared Soviet coach whose life depends on winning. I have no clue why the NHL organizations just keep rotating these fossils year after year, until they have a heart attack. Kind of the same with the anthem singers who should've quit 20 years ago. Probably because the GMs the owners hire are just as archaic and have their inner circle at the old mens' club.

Europe has a couple of really good coaches. I've always thought Roger Rönnberg would be a great NHL coach and he's fluent in English. The physical play in the NHL suits his up tempo style. He likes puck tempo and hitting. Perfect for a team like Philly. Sweden/ Finland and Switzerland has a couple of interesting choices. I mean, Finland has their golden coach that can make no name players compete for medals, but that's more for the bottom dwelling teams. Or how about scouting for a new coach in lower levels?

All of this right into my veins

tenor.gif

AV was an absolute disaster and he had been all year long. It was clear from the very start. He's outdated, ignorant, arrogant, and completely inflexible. He doesn't understand how hockey should be played in 2020 and he doesn't understand what kind of players win games. He was, by far, the biggest reason for our playoff issues this year and is our biggest issue going forward. He gets praise because he's been fortunate to be carried by good players across his career and some fans think that winning games must automatically be because of quality coaching.

Remarkablr

Feb 19, 2019
It's stuff like this that you were warned about when it comes to AV, from Vancouver and NYR fans. I understand that you wanted to be ecstatic at the hiring and he looks good on paper and his resume, but when you see him mold the team, in action... oh boy, it's not pretty. He does so many stupid things that just baffles you as a hockey fan.

1) He always finds 1-2 garbage players "that works hard" and gives them way too much ice time. They will look horrendeus and he will not flinch to keep giving them ice time. Alot of it. "Because they work hard." Yeah, at chasing the puck they gave away and finding their jockstrap.

2) He will never direct blame towards himself, because he believes in his own hype. He will always blame the team and he has no qualms to throw specific players under the bus even in the media. Just why? On a first outlook, he seems like a humble guy, but he's the opposite of that. He's full of himself.

3) His defense will have a tendency to leave a guy right in the open in front of the net. If the opponents can find that backdoor pass, it's most often a sure goal. NYR lead the league in backdoor goals against with AV coaching them during the crash. You think it's bad now? Give it some time, it'll get worse when the team fully plays the AV way and all remnants of the old coach are gone.

Recipe for scoring goals against an AV team: Get possession in the offensive zone. Cycle the puck along the boards a couple of times switching sides, then have someone pinch backdoor. Get the puck to him. Score. Jack Adams my ass.

4) In the playoffs, his offensive strategy will be read like an open book by the opponents. If they shut down the stretch pass, then what? AV will remain passive and if he tries to be active, he will only make it worse. He has no answers once the opponents eventually figure him out. He has never had a plan B in his life.

5) I've never seen a team coached by AV having a functioning PP. It has historically sucked ass and probably always will.

6) He also loves to put slow skating defensemen in a role they absolutely cannot handle.

7) If everything crashes, he always has his last outing card, he will do what just about any beer fan would: he will blame the goalie. He had Luongo in his prime, he had Lundqvist still being elite, he now has Hart. Not good enough for AV. He wants Jesus in net - if he can keep up with his system. He's a goalie's nightmare.

8) That gum chewing, arrogant smirk. If I could pay $50 to be able to punch it, I would at least consider it.

I could go on and on. He has his stretch pass and he thinks it's magic. He has a weird way of thinking how you can defend in your own zone. He has slimmed off his most crazy ideas since NYR, but you can still see it's an AV team. He's a pond hockey romantic I guess. I think he's one of the most overrated coaches out there. I have no idea why he's always nominated for so many awards, it's not like he gets loser teams to coach. But when he's finished, they will be a loser team. He will run them into the ground and NONE of it will be his fault, in his eyes.

I'm not a Flyers fan by any means, but I still feel sorry for you guys that Philly hired him. AV is that over the hill, old fashioned, stubborn, incompetent company president that keeps getting new jobs, just because he has experience at the job, is good at talking and has a flashy CV. He runs them into the ground and then gets a new job. He single handedly convinced the NYR management they needed a panic rebuild, when they didn't. They just had to sack Vigneault and get a real coach. A university coach got on par results with a far worse team than Vigneault had.

Of all the coaches I've seen in New York (Renney, Tortorella, Vigneault, Quinn), Vigneault if by far the worst one. The other guys at least seem to know what they're doing, even if they have their quirks and bad habits as well. Not as many critical ones as Vigneault. He thinks he's likeable among his players, which just make them dislike him even more. Most assholes are self aware enough to know they're assholes. Not Vigneault, he's too arrogant and narcissistic.

Hey you forgot to mention how he screwed the Canucks in the Finals in 2011, with his goaltending choices. They should have beaten the Bruins, the grinning genius didn't know what he was doing. Sound familiar?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hey you forgot to mention how he screwed the Canucks in the Finals in 2011, with his goaltending choices. They should have beaten the Bruins, the grinning genius didn't know what he was doing. Sound familiar?

Luongo - Gm 1 - shutout
Luongo - Gm 2 - 2 goals
Luongo - Gm 3 - 8 goals (38 shots)
Luongo - Gm 4 - 4 goals (20 shots)
Luongo - Gm 5 - shutout
Luongo - Gm 6 - 3 goals on 8 shots, Schneider 2 goals (32 shots)
Luongo - Gm 7 - 3 goals (20 shots)

Luongo overall was average in the playoffs xG - G = 0.07.
However he was among the top goalies in the regular season.

Would you trust Schneider with your season on the line over Luongo?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

they lost because Tim Thomas was ridiculous that year. Easily could of won? Tim Thomas was a brick wall. That is why the Canucks lost.

Reactions: Rebels57

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

You just ruined my day. I am trying to convince myself the date of this posting is a year or 2 ago in describing Hakstok....

Thanks dude.....

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Luongo - Gm 1 - shutout
Luongo - Gm 2 - 2 goals
Luongo - Gm 5 - shutout

Wasn't Luongo's nickname at the time LeBrongo?

Reactions: Remarkablr

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nope, those NYR teams certainly weren't that talented. They had Carl Hagelin as a top 6 winger, that says alot. A very soon to be retired, over the hill mercenary St Louis was one of their best forwards. Nash was invisible as always. McDonagh was solid defensively and maybe a true #1 D-man. Strålman was really good though as a #2 and of course NYR ditched him for the pylons Girardi/ Staal to albatross contracts (to the delight of Philly I guess ;), thanks again $ather). At least Strålman could skate and pass the puck and had a nasty hip check. Alot of pylons on defense and AV wanted them to play like they all were Erik Karlsson in his prime. He wanted them to play a man to man defense/ overload hybrid. Total chaos.

The entire forward position was mostly carried by Brassard and Zuccarello on the 3rd line. The 4th line was good though, really good. Both giant Brian Boyle and Dominic Moore. All in all, not a Stanley Cup caliber team.

When the Conn Smythe candidates on the team were 1) Lundqvist 2) Lundqvist and 3) McDonagh maybe out of consolation(?), you're not winning a cup. I have no clue how they reached the finals, they were dominated from round 1 and forward. Well, because of their only Conn Smythe candidate, he played out of his mind. He had to be the best player on the ice every series - and he was.

It was basically the same story with Tortorella in 11/12, but he at least realized and completely understood it was Lundqvist and him only that would give the team a chance at success. Hence the pillbox defense and panic mode to just clear the puck for 60 minutes and a grindfest if the puck got to the other end, hoping to get a goal somehow. If NYR allowed 0-1, it was a mountain to climb. 0-2 and it was all over.

I think part of the reason why the team had success in 13/14 was because the team was still schooled the Tortorella, grindfest, eat nails for breakfast kind of way, while Vigneault wanted them to focus on that stretch pass. That's where a player like Carl Hagelin was gold and Kreider to some extent. He could skate like the wind and that was enough. They ignored Vigneault's other nonsense on the defensive end and it worked somehow. Apart from the abysmal PP of course. But then Vigneault's system set in to 100% next year and it was all over. A total circus in the own end. The pillbox era was over.

If you're not interested in the NYR stuff because your gag reflex sets in:
837_su.gif

I think Philly should do what NYR did, look for new blood elsewhere. Younger, more modern coaches who know modern hockey. These archaic, outdated, stubborn old bastards still getting coaching jobs just have to go. They don't even know they can't yell racist slurs to their players in 2020, that says it all. Some of them still think it's effective coaching to yell and rant like a pissed off drill sergeant or an old, scared Soviet coach whose life depends on winning. I have no clue why the NHL organizations just keep rotating these fossils year after year, until they have a heart attack. Kind of the same with the anthem singers who should've quit 20 years ago. Probably because the GMs the owners hire are just as archaic and have their inner circle at the old mens' club.

Europe has a couple of really good coaches. I've always thought Roger Rönnberg would be a great NHL coach and he's fluent in English. The physical play in the NHL suits his up tempo style. He likes puck tempo and hitting. Perfect for a team like Philly. Sweden/ Finland and Switzerland has a couple of interesting choices. I mean, Finland has their golden coach that can make no name players compete for medals, but that's more for the bottom dwelling teams. Or how about scouting for a new coach in lower levels?
We have an old guard GM.....who was hired by an old guard mediocre GM that ran the team's future into the ground. We've been spinning our wheels for about 30 years now...

Remarkablr

Feb 19, 2019
Luongo - Gm 1 - shutout
Luongo - Gm 2 - 2 goals
Luongo - Gm 5 - shutout

Yes. Luongo was very inconsistent in the Finals. Either a shutout or he was terrible, letting in multiple soft goals. For Game 7 Schneider was the obvious choice.

Did you even watch the Finals?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes. Luongo was very inconsistent in the Finals. Either a shutout or he was terrible, letting in multiple soft goals. For Game 7 Schneider was the obvious choice.

Did you even watch the Finals?

Schneider was a career mediocrity, the fact he looked good in relief doesn't make him a good decision to start.
It would be like the Flyers starting Elliott in the 7th game because Hart was off in a couple games.

Remarkablr

Feb 19, 2019
Schneider was a career mediocrity, the fact he looked good in relief doesn't make him a good decision to start.
It would be like the Flyers starting Elliott in the 7th game because Hart was off in a couple games.

Obviously you didn't watch the Finals. Therefore your comments are irrelevant. Watch some games, rather than looking at stats.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as playing one or two hard working stiffs, what HC doesn't?
For one thing, what team has 18 skilled, reliable players?
For another, HCs often want a certain "type" on their 4th line and 3rd pair, the kind where the eyes don't quite focus.

Cooper is playing L Schenn and Maroon and Bogosian ain't dressing for his skating ability.
Trotz, the man LOVES stiffs, Beagle in Washington? Orpik at 37 in 2017-18 was in free fall. The Isles, stiff city.

The key is to find some stiffs that are decent skaters, feed them some red meat before the game, and let them loose on the world.
AV just needs better stiffs on his bottom six and third pair. Thompson and Grant didn't cut it, and Bunnaman was a year early for the role.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Did Cooper sit Gostisbehere (or a similar talent player) for Schenn? Cooper isn’t perfect and Luke Schenn stinks, but sometimes coaches actually “don’t have better options.” He’s played 7 games mostly due to injuries, and has averaged under 9 minutes 5v5 in those games. Hägg averaged over 14 minutes and played 10/13 games, including every elimination game. Let’s not misrepresent: that’s a choice. He’s not scratching Shattenkirk, probably the most apt comparison to Ghost, for Schenn/Bogosian.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Obviously you didn't watch the Finals. Therefore your comments are irrelevant. Watch some games, rather than looking at stats.
Schneider was the heir apparent at the time and was a really good goaltender during the 2011 season and Stanley Cup run for Vancouver.

But it's ludicrous to suggest that Schneider was the clear choice for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. Home ice, where Luongo was absolutely dominant in the regular season and playoffs. Schneider had 1 career playoff start to his name at the time, Game 6 vs Chicago earlier that playoffs and he got pulled.

Schneider was an option, but not the "obvious" one. Imagine Schneider starts with the exact same result in Game 7. Vancouver fans would be questioning that move for decades and it would have been remembered as an all time blunder.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Did Cooper sit Gostisbehere (or a similar talent player) for Schenn? Cooper isn’t perfect and Luke Schenn stinks, but sometimes coaches actually “don’t have better options.” He’s played 7 games mostly due to injuries, and has averaged under 9 minutes 5v5 in those games. Hägg averaged over 14 minutes and played 10/13 games, including every elimination game. Let’s not misrepresent: that’s a choice. He’s not scratching Shattenkirk, probably the most apt comparison to Ghost, for Schenn/Bogosian.

Trotz is scratching Dobson. Who I'd trade Ghost and . . . for in a heartbeat.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Trotz is scratching Dobson. Who I'd trade Ghost and . . . for in a heartbeat.

Okay? So would I — Dobson is a beaut on his ELC. But I thought we were talking about Tampa and Cooper....?

Trotz has his strengths, but handling young players and not overvaluing plugs are not among them. Dobson, a rookie, played 34 games in the regular season with inconsistent usage and 0 games in the bubble. Better to compare him to Frost than Ghost. Luckily for Trotz, the Islanders prospect pool pales in comparison to the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad