The Players' Tribune: Akim Aliu: Hockey is not for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
For what it's worth prejudice and racism get confused by most people.

Racism can only occur from a position of power - white males are in the majority of positions of power which is why racism against white people is very rare, and why it is generally said to happen to minorities.
That's a newer academic take on it that isn't universally accepted. Racism is historically just a belief of racial superiority.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Hahaha hahahaha what ?
That's not how racism works.
Slavery?
Holocaust?
Residential Schools in Canada?
Bill Peters and Akim Aliu?

Just a few examples, but each example includes a different race but can you guess what they all have in common? Someone in a position of power is the one who is perpetrating the racism. If you care to give me examples of racism where someone not in a position of power perpetrates it I'm all ears.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
That's a newer academic take on it that isn't universally accepted. Racism is historically just a belief of racial superiority.
Fair enough, but in each big historical example of racism the group or person who perpetrates it is almost always in a position of power. It is very tough to use someone's race against them if you have no other type of leverage against them. Maybe it stems from racial superiority, but you can only effectively use racism if you have power.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Slavery?
Holocaust?

Just a few examples, but each example includes a different race but can you guess what they all have in common? Someone in a position of power is the one who is perpetrating the racism.
Genocide is typically a result of a racist in power. Racism is extremely different from just being in power.

Like for instance the KKK is a bunch of redneck hillbillies with a limited scope of power, yet they're very racist.

The BLM people that were advocating killing whites and the new BP movement that has doctrines on white genocide are racist and those are minority groups

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Slavery?
Holocaust?
Bill Peters and Akim Aliu?

Just a few examples, but each example includes a different race but can you guess what they all have in common? Someone in a position of power is the one who is perpetrating the racism. If you care to give me examples of racism where someone not in a position of power perpetrates it I'm all ears.
Technically people who are Jewish aren't a race. They are a religious group.

Racism is the feeling of superiority over a race or discriminating in any way to someone based on race. What you described are violations of human rights and ethnic cleansing based on race/religion. Which are multiple levels above racism.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Generally speaking, the sport of hockey is dominated by straight White males. If someone has a problem with that, why not just watch or play another sport? It's not like a non-White player cannot succeed and be well-liked. But you have to have a certain mind-set. That being that you accept the fact that this is mostly a straight White male sport, then go from there.

What you don't do is go into a sport knowing the demographic reality of it, then complain about every case of real and perceived bias or microaggression. Then demand the sport change to your idea of how things should be.

Instead, just accept it for what it is. Then take it or leave it.

I don't even know how to respond to this. There's a touch of racial segregation being advocated here.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It’s the SJW thinking: it doesn’t make any sense. Everything in this world is about oppression, and everyone is either oppressed or oppressive. My goodness,.

Discrimination is fine, as long as it’s directed towards oppressive groups. And it’s fine, as long as it’s liberal racism or liberal sexism. Joe Biden’s horrific, disgusting comments about ‘you ain’t black’ if you want to vote for trump or only picking a woman VP is unfortunately everywhere. Imagine telling a race of people that they aren’t black because they think differently than you. I almost fell over when I was reading that: and I was sitting down. A black person shouldn’t have to think a certain way because of his/her skin colour. What a disgusting, racist comment. And nobody cares because Biden’s a liberal.

For the poster you’re responding to: he doesn’t seem to realize that n=1 here.

I don't think it's possible to freely reply to this post without breaching the "No Politics" rule, because that post is only about politics.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Genocide is typically a result of a racist in power. Racism is extremely different from just being in power.

Like for instance the KKK is a bunch of redneck hillbillies with a limited scope of power, yet they're very racist.

The BLM people that were advocating killing whites and the new BP movement that has doctrines on white genocide are racist and those are minority groups

The message of the BLM wasn't to kill white people - if random people thought that, that's a different ball game. But the movement was not about killing white people.

Reactions: double5son10

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't even know how to respond to this. There's a touch of racial segregation being advocated here.
I don't think he /she meant for it to come off that way. I think they meant it more of.
A person playing hockey that has a noted attitude problem, comes out 20yrs later and says I was treated differently only because of my skin color when it was them being a complete asshole that caused everyone to ignore/treat the player different. Though maybe they did mean it that way I'd hope not

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasso09

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The message of the BLM wasn't to kill white people - if random people thought that, that's a different ball game. But the movement was not about killing white people.
Yeah I didn't mean the whole group I thought i said the people in it that were, and then there is the new black panther movement which is entirely.

Edit I did say the BLM people that were but I guess but I can see how someone could think I meant the whole group

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Fair enough, but in each big historical example of racism the group or person who perpetrates it is almost always in a position of power. It is very tough to use someone's race against them if you have no other type of leverage against them. Maybe it stems from racial superiority, but you can only effectively use racism if you have power.
No thats not true in the least. The word prejudice means to pre judge. Its the very roots of the word. Racism is any prejudice based on race.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think he /she meant for it to come off that way. I think they meant it more of.
A person playing hockey that has a noted attitude problem, comes out 20yrs later and says I was treated differently only because of my skin color when it was them being a complete asshole that caused everyone to ignore/treat the player different. Though maybe they did mean it that way I'd hope not

Why are you defending someone who is both present and perfectly able to defend himself?

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Positive discrimination is a clumsy phrase that merely adds fuel to the 'newly oppressed white male' theory bulls*** . Perhaps it should be re-defined as equalising opportunity, or an equality pathway, because the entire purpose of the principle is to render itself obsolete, by allowing disadvantaged groups greater access to opportunity than if social inequalites were seen as unimportant.

Of course, it shouldn't simply be defined by colour, nationality, gender or sexuality etc, but sometimes focus is required to just crowbar open the door enough to undermine some of the barriers that exist.

The whole point of it to get us to a place where what you are born as doesn't define your opportunities as much as it currently does. Should we be finding more ways to increase working class white people? Of course. And one of the best ways to do that is to diversify the gatekeepers and powerbrokers and decision makers. Because the same people who have both the desire and power to limit opportunities for minorities also have the same for the working class white man (unless he can be exploited).

Frankly we need an intersectional approach with individually tweaked elements. The whole 'downtrodden white man' thing is a lie sold to less advantaged white people by those in power, to keep them from realising who is actually screwing them and how - its the same playbook as the historical persecution of Jews, just with different detail.

More diversity in postions of influence benefits all but those who already have power and cling onto it like dragons guarding their hoards, which is a tiny percentage. Every meaningful study on the subject concludes this
This is SJW nonsense. The only thing that matters is whether or not you are good enough. Period. Otherwise, we will be arguing until the cows come home about what barriers to get rid of. Everyone is an individual, period. Group identity is moronic, racist, sexist, misogynist, hateful, oppressive, bigoted etc...

Don’t ever judge someone, for good or bad, based on any group characteristics.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
This is SJW nonsense. The only thing that matters is whether or not you are good enough. Period. Otherwise, we will be arguing until the cows come home about what barriers to get rid of. Everyone is an individual, period. Group identity is moronic, racist, sexist, misogynist, hateful, oppressive, bigoted etc...

Don’t ever judge someone, for good or bad, based on any group characteristics.

And yet, you crucify Marner in the other thread for having concerns for COVID.

Good one.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Just because you haven’t felt the oppression others have, does not mean it isn’t as severe as they say it is. If you haven’t, consider yourself lucky but stop downplaying what others experience.

Comparing what you consider to be your trash body to racism is downright ridiculous.

I was stomped on every single day in university for being a straight, white male. Every single day. I was called out constantly when I had a different opinion (‘you’re just a straight, white male. That is blatant, sexism and racism by definition.

Never experienced racism or sexism before that. And haven’t since I left the university. I will do everything in my power to not hire, or tell others not to hire anyone with any remotely SJW attitude at my work. It’s cancer and garbage.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Racism can only occur from a position of power - white males are in the majority of positions of power which is why racism against white people is very rare, and why it is generally said to happen to minorities.
LOL, are you in gender studies or sociology? How can anyone believe this.

This is exactly why not one penny should go towards gender studies or sociology. You go to school for 4 years and your contribution to society is this type of thinking. You’re better off obviously taking stem or business, or just not going to university at all. It’s pure ideology, not based on academic rigour or data-driven perspectives.

What’s more oppressive than race? Major mental illness, a lower IQ, lack of executive functioning, physical disabilities etc. But for whatever reason, SJWs can only focus on race, gender, and sexual orientation. It’s all ideology and a lack of data.

Last edited:

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
LOL, are you in gender studies or sociology? How can anyone believe this.

This is exactly why not one penny should go towards gender studies or sociology. You go to school for 4 years and your contribution to society is this type of thinking. You’re better off obviously taking stem or business, or just not going to university at all. It’s pure ideology, not based on academic rigour or data-driven perspectives.

What’s more oppressive than race? Major mental illness, a lower IQ, lack of executive functioning, physical disabilities etc. But for whatever reason, SJWs can only focus on race, gender, and sexual orientation. It’s all ideology and a lack of data.
I identify as a German Panzer Tank

Reactions: M88K

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I was stomped on every single day in university for being a straight, white male. Every single day. I was called out constantly when I had a different opinion (‘you’re just a straight, white male. That is blatant, sexism and racism by definition.

Never experienced racism or sexism before that. And haven’t since I left the university. I will do everything in my power to not hire, or tell others not to hire anyone with any remotely SJW attitude at my work. It’s cancer and garbage.

Well, what did you say? What's the context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad