The Players' Tribune: Akim Aliu: Hockey is not for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
As I pointed out - injuries have been a factor, and a big one. Hell, I'm not saying he's NHL level. I;m saying that because he had the potential to be in younger days, he's not some mug. Like it or not, he's made a living in a far more competitive profession than most on here will have experience of, and if he was some no ability chancer or such a bad guy, why would so many experienced coaches and GMs, who all know each other, continue to give him jobs at all those clubs?

You've avoided that once, at least attempt to address it...

First of all, I have not avoided anything. You must be confusing me with someone else.

My guess is that Akim Aliu has made a living till today courtesy of the 3y/$2.227 million contract that he had with the Flames until 2012-13. I guess he earned this contract with his junior hockey play & consequent 2nd round pick in the draft.

Since then, played hockey didn't pay his bills, I would venture to guess.
You see... From 2013-14, he hasn't played more than 26 games in one season, mostly in low paying leagues (AHL, ECHL, Slovak, Czech, secondary leagues in Sweden). I mean, his biggest moment of "glory" in this span was the 15-16 season where he played 19 games in the KHL (2 goals, 5 assists). I doubt that he got covered in rubles for that.

Why did they give him jobs? Having had some AHL/NHL history behind him, is probably enough for some organization in Slovakia or the minors in Sweden to take a flyer on him. What have they got to lose? If he'd pan out, they'd get a steal... If he didn't, no big loss. And guess what? He never did pan out, ANYWHERE he went. If that doesn't tell you how bad a hockey player he is, I don't know what can.

If you are telling me that he's been constantly injured for the past 7 seasons, maybe he should consider a career change. And to be frank, it looks like he already did: from now on, I think that there's great odds he'll have a solid career as a motivational speaker or even some cushy job in the league in some diversity-promoting / anti-racism capacity. No need to try to put the puck in the net anymore, anywhere.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Yeah, not sure what it entails but that is a bit of a loaded title.

It isn't bad but if it isn't a topic I am interested in I don't listen. I just love all of his history podcasts and think he is pretty middle of the road and down to earth. First one I listened to was about the Celtic Holocaust, was hooked.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It isn't bad but if it isn't a topic I am interested in I don't listen. I just love all of his history podcasts and think he is pretty middle of the road and down to earth. First one I listened to was about the Celtic Holocaust, was hooked.
Our advisor focused on WWI and the Holocaust so it was fun feeling that strain running through that series.

Same with the Mongol series.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
27 almost continuous paying employers in the same tiny field in 15 years. If you can't see the connection, its not my fault you you'd rather use hysteria than common sense....

Losing 27 jobs in 15 years after (on average) a ridiculous short stint in each job isn't a mark of pride. On the contrary.

Reactions: abo9 and Voight

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Dan Carlin is my favorite history podcaster. He calls it Hardcore History, and it is phenomenal. He has hours and hours on WWI, the Eastern Front in WWII, Babylon, Mongols. He is the standard for long form history podcasts IMO.

Fall of Civilizations by Paul Cooper is fantastic as well.
Have googled and found! Thanks fellow history enthusiasts ;-)

Reactions: glovesave_35

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
First of all, I have not avoided anything. You must be confusing me with someone else.

My guess is that Akim Aliu has made a living till today courtesy of the 3y/$2.227 million contract that he had with the Flames until 2012-13. I guess he earned this contract with his junior hockey play & consequent 2nd round pick in the draft.

Since then, played hockey didn't pay his bills, I would venture to guess.
You see... From 2013-14, he hasn't played more than 26 games in one season, mostly in low paying leagues (AHL, ECHL, Slovak, Czech, secondary leagues in Sweden). I mean, his biggest moment of "glory" in this span was the 15-16 season where he played 19 games in the KHL (2 goals, 5 assists). I doubt that he got covered in rubles for that.

Why did they give him jobs? Having had some AHL/NHL history behind him, is probably enough for some organization in Slovakia or the minors in Sweden to take a flyer on him. What have they got to lose? If he'd pan out, they'd get a steal... If he didn't, no big loss. And guess what? He never did pan out, ANYWHERE he went. If that doesn't tell you how bad a hockey player he is, I don't know what can.

If you are telling me that he's been constantly injured for the past 7 seasons, maybe he should consider a career change. And to be frank, it looks like he already did: from now on, I think that there's great odds he'll have a solid career as a motivational speaker or even some cushy job in the league in some diversity-promoting / anti-racism capacity. No need to try to put the puck in the net anymore, anywhere.

Now that, boys and girls, is a spectacular example of being disingenuous. Still the signature about buying weaponry probably already establishes that our world view's are somewhat incompatible ;-)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What do you mean did not handle it? They suspended him 5 games, he had to see a psychologist, fired their coach and were charge $35 000 by the league (although there was external pressure sooooo yeah who knows how it would have been handled behind closed doors)

Aliu was suspended 1 game and also had to see a psychologist for anger issues.

Reportedly Downie asked to be traded out, then Aliu because the atmosphere was pretty bad. Under regular circumstances 16 years old rookies could not get traded but I think they got the approbation of the league to do so

My bad I should have googled it was going off a hazy memory.

Plus one for Windsor for doing the right thing.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Now that, boys and girls, is a spectacular example of being disingenuous. Still the signature about buying weaponry probably already establishes that our world view's are somewhat incompatible ;-)
Im not trying to spark anything but after reading about him talking about hortible racist experiences in Russia id love to know why he decided to play there again.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
27 almost continuous paying employers in the same tiny field in 15 years. If you can't see the connection, its not my fault you you'd rather use hysteria than common sense....

In terms of hockey players or even professional athletes, that is not something to be proud of.

Sure, a guy like Dom Moore or Mike Sillinger played for a litany of teams, but they were all NHL teams (in terms of moving around) and thats because they were sought after guys. Not the case with Aliu

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Our advisor focused on WWI and the Holocaust so it was fun feeling that strain running through that series.

Same with the Mongol series.
One of my favorite things about his series is how he sets them up at the beginning. His intro to the Celtic Holocaust and Wrath of the Khans were so good. His style isn't for everyone, even if he's really popular. But, I have since tried listening to a number of history podcasts about things which I am keenly interested in, and often they are just so milquetoast that they are hard to listen to.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
One of my favorite things about his series is how he sets them up at the beginning. His intro to the Celtic Holocaust and Wrath of the Khans were so good. His style isn't for everyone, even if he's really popular. But, I have since tried listening to a number of history podcasts about things which I am keenly interested in, and often they are just so milquetoast that they are hard to listen to.
Dan was a radio host so that helps a lot in keeping the user interested. I feel a lot of history subjects at school would garner much more interest among the students if they had teachers who could deliver them in a compelling manner. I had a history teacher who managed to make our module about the Roman empire boring. How do you even do that?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Im not trying to spark anything but after reading about him talking about hortible racist experiences in Russia id love to know why he decided to play there again.
I suspect money helped!
Also the specific location in Russia may have helped - Mogilny country, so near the Pacific. I've been led to believe that that its greater diversity has led to this being a rather less intolerent part of the country. Its also likely that relative high profile sports pro in the 2010s would not be subject to police threats in the same way as penniless construction worker in the 80s & 90s.

Like many who go there, he did ok, but came back to NA pretty sharpish!

Reactions: emptyNedder

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I dont dislike Carlin, far from it (Ghosts, Blueprint and Supernova are awesome shows) but he's a tad too conservative/old fashioned in terms of theory of history for my tastes. That works well for 20th century stuff, but whatever he does with earlier history, with the notable exception of Wrath of the Khans, I'm not super interested in.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
I dont dislike Carlin, far from it (Ghosts, Blueprint and Supernova are awesome shows) but he's a tad too conservative/old fashioned in terms of theory of history for my tastes. That works well for 20th century stuff, but whatever he does with earlier history, with the notable exception of Wrath of the Khans, I'm not super interested in.
What do you mean too conservative?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I suspect money helped!
Also the specific location in Russia may have helped - Mogilny country, so near the Pacific. I've been led to believe that that its greater diversity has led to this being a rather less intolerent part of the country. Its also likely that relative high profile sports pro in the 2010s would not be subject to police threats in the same way as penniless construction worker in the 80s & 90s.

Like many who go there, he did ok, but came back to NA pretty sharpish!

The conditions arent great.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Can you be a a little more specific? What did you not like about the Celtic Holocaust?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Can you be a a little more specific? What did you not like about the Celtic Holocaust?

I'm just dont think he's that interesting in Death Throes, Holocaust, King of Kings and so on. Each to his own, I guess.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Eh, I think he uses that a bit for storytelling, but he seems far from a Big Man Theorist to me. He goes out of his way at times to give perspective of the everyman.

.... for the 20th century, and I thank him for that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
"Designed to discriminate" is a simplistic explanation of the term. Whether or not it was done intentionally, it means systems put in place that disenfranchise people of a certain race (predatory housing loans to minorities, geographical locations of minorities due to gentrification or other factors, treatment by law enforcement entities, voting regulations, etc.)

One race being affected by this more than other races doesn't mean it's racism let alone systematic racism. There will always be racism if this is the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad