Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This guy, whining again.

"I was on pace to be one of the top scorers on the team" He had 17 points in 48 games.

He acts like that completely derailed his career. He literally played for 20 different teams after that and never did anything. The Flames gave him a gift of a contract and he dogged it.

I have a tonne of respect for this guy's life story but he needs to accept that he just wasn't that good at hockey. Somehow 20 different organizations gave him a job. Yet all 20 of them are racist.

He finds a way to make everything that's positive into a negative: "The NHL shoved their LGBTQ and “Hockey is For Everyone” support programs into the same month as black history month. When I saw that, it made me feel that people like us, the outcasts, are a chore to them."

C'mon man.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Great read, sadly I'm sure a bunch of people from the same homogenous group will brush this off saying that Aliu just wants attention or wants to stay relevant, or that they're tired of hearing about race.

Edit: LOL first reply first sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This guy, whining again.

"I was on pace to be one of the top scorers on the team" He had 17 points in 48 games.

He acts like that completely derailed his career. He literally played for 20 different teams after that and never did anything. The Flames gave him a gift of a contract and he dogged it.

I have a tonne of respect for this guy's life story but he needs to accept that he just wasn't that good at hockey. Somehow 20 different organizations gave him a job. Yet all 20 of them are racist.

He finds a way to make everything that's positive into a negative: "The NHL shoved their LGBTQ and “Hockey is For Everyone” support programs into the same month as black history month. When I saw that, it made me feel that people like us, the outcasts, are a chore to them."

C'mon man.
Who cares about whether or not he made it? The important part is that that kind of shit is Not Okay. Whether or not it prevented him from being an NHLer in the end is irrelevant. That it happened at all is the problem.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Who cares about whether or not he made it? The important part is that that kind of shit is Not Okay. Whether or not it prevented him from being an NHLer in the end is irrelevant. That it happened at all is the problem.
The guy you are quoting was arguing a lot that Bill Peters didn't deserve any retroactive punishment for what he did back when all of this was exposed months ago. It's clear that he doesn't understand.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

That's not his point. His narrative is that his career was derailed by racism. Yet all the evidence points to the reality: He wasn't good enough and was given more chances than anyone, including nearly $1m from the Calgary Flames and he barely bothered to show up.

I'm all in favour of him sharing his story. I don't believe racism is ok and I don't believe in lies are ok. Using lies to combat racism isn't ok. If anything, it undermines what he's doing.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's not his point. His narrative is that his career was derailed by racism.
The point of the story was "this exists and it may have been a contributor to my career going downhill". It does not claim exclusivity. And the real problem is that it exists. Focusing on the latter half of that is just a distraction from the core issue.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The point of the story was "this exists and it may have been a contributor to my career going downhill". It does not claim exclusivity. And the real problem is that it exists. Focusing on the latter half of that is just a distraction from the core issue.

I believe that truth is the path to progress and that lying undermines it. You're allowed to believe differently, but this is the truth and it's indisputable: Akim Aliu Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: Auston Escobar

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think both realities of "Hockey is a culture that actively embraces straight white dudes and not so much anyone else" and "he just wasn't good enough to play anymore" are both valid and correct.

This isn't a hard and fast rule -- POCs can be loved and succeed, of course. But the numbers suggest that it's a CONSTANT uphill battle

And the sport inherently (at least in the U.S.) is not accessible to many POCs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I believe that truth is the path to progress and that lying undermines it. You're allowed to believe differently, but this is the truth and it's indisputable: Akim Aliu Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
You're arguing the positioning of deck chairs on the Titanic as it goes down. There's kind of a much bigger issue in play. Focusing on "on pace to be a top scorer" is a nitpick.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
That's not his point. His narrative is that his career was derailed by racism. Yet all the evidence points to the reality: He wasn't good enough and was given more chances than anyone, including nearly $1m from the Calgary Flames and he barely bothered to show up.

I'm all in favour of him sharing his story. I don't believe racism is ok and I don't believe in lies are ok. Using lies to combat racism isn't ok. If anything, it undermines what he's doing.

No, it's you who's missed his point entirely. There's very little in there about his career trajectory and he never once says he should be in the NHL. It's all about the numerous racist encounters he's had over the years at every level within the sport and hoping that it changes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This guy, whining again.

C'mon man.
He should not have overstated his production level or perceived contributions to the team. That was ill-advised because it left him open for distracting and utterly unimportant criticism like what you opened your post with (games played and points).

Do you think his actual level of production is actually important to the story? Do you think that in his particular case, his play was the determining factor for opportunities received or not received from his coach? Remembering that his coach called him a Racial Slur to his face, in front of his teammates? And then sent him down to the ECHL?

Does that seem like he had an equal opportunity to you?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You're arguing the positioning of deck chairs on the Titanic as it goes down. There's kind of a much bigger issue in play. Focusing on "on pace to be a top scorer" is a nitpick.

What's the point of the story?

That racism exists? That it's a huge problem in the world? Like, is that even in dispute? It's a horrible, horrible thing. It's disgraceful and repulsive. It's sickening on every level. Combating it is everyone's responsibility.

What he's doing sharing is his story. But it's a ridiculous, infantile re-writing of history and it undermines what he's trying to accomplish and simply empowers the people who don't think it's a problem because they can point to his obvious and contrived untruths. It's a tragedy.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Maybe you just f***ing suck?

That is an absolute brutal take. No one is saying Aliu was destined to be a star in the NHL or anything like that. but if you cannot recognize that; 1) Hockey has some deep-routed issues in it's culture, and 2) Aliu's career trajectory was negatively impacted by this race; you are ignorant and perpetuating the issue at hand.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He should not have overstated his production level or perceived contributions to the team. That was ill-advised because it left him open for distracting and utterly unimportant criticism like what you opened your post with (games played and points).

Do you think his actual level of production is actually important to the story? Do you think that in his particular case, his play was the determining factor for opportunities received or not received from his coach? Remembering that his coach called him a Racial Slur to his face, in front of his teammates? And then sent him down to the ECHL?

Does that seem like he had an equal opportunity to you?

You sure about that?

What you've done by repeating something that's not true is made my point for me: That using lies undermines what he's trying to do.

Reactions: Sasso09

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This guy, whining again.

C'mon man.
The fact that you thought this was about not making it tells me you either didn't read it or ignored what it said because you already decided what you thought about it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You sure about that?

What you've done by repeating something that's not true is made my point for me: That using lies undermines what he's trying to do.
Yes. It’s obviously true. Do you believe there was a failure to investigate the claims, or that the investigation covered up or disregarded the truth that would vindicate him? Do you think Jake Dowell and other teammates are part of a conspiracy? Or that they would somehow be punished if they came forward to defend the truth?

Or are you saying there’s a difference between telling a black man he is a Racial Slur versus telling him that he listens to Racial Slur music? That somehow, those aren’t the same thing?

Reactions: Summer Rose

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There's "toxic culture" in every sport and every thing.

And that doesn't make it right. The fact that this toxic culture is largely accepted because of the "it is what it is" narrative is the main problem.

I'm far from a snowflake, I've seen some of this hazing culture firsthand when I played baseball back in high school (which is probably the worst sport with their hazing culture) and it needs to stop or at least be curtailed greatly. It's no different than bullying, it's disgusting. Anything that brings attention to the horrors some people go through with this to hopefully elicit some change is a good thing.

This isn't even touching on the racism that exists in the hockey community which is a bigger issue altogether and is something you'd think society would have evolved away from nowadays.
How anybody can get from this story that he's just whining because he wasn't good enough is missing the point entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad