News Article: AHL West Official Announcement Set for Thursday

TKFAN

Dec 3, 2006
New Hampshire
They are getting the Reign. So dl they do get to see the future Monarchs

Don't care about any ECHL team coming to Manchester, there may be some people who believing what the Monarchs ticket reps are trying to sell, but not my family. Trying to sell the ECHL league is equal in talent to the AHL:shakehead

We will now totally focus on the Kings, but just maybe will keep tabs on the Monarchs in Ontario for a couple of years.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It will suck for Manchester to lose their AHL team, but they're still going to get to see some hockey, just on a lower level. The real benefit will be all the CA teams now have their farm teams within an hour of the big club. If someone goes down with an injury , it won't take a day to get him to the club.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Don't care about any ECHL team coming to Manchester, there may be some people who believing what the Monarchs ticket reps are trying to sell, but not my family. Trying to sell the ECHL league is equal in talent to the AHL:shakehead

We will now totally focus on the Kings, but just maybe will keep tabs on the Monarchs in Ontario for a couple of years.

I don't think that's necessarily fair..I've been to a handful of Reign games here and it's good fun to attend, obviously the play is on a lower end but it's still a fun time.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I don't think that's necessarily fair..I've been to a handful of Reign games here and it's good fun to attend, obviously the play is on a lower end but it's still a fun time.

Yeah, I'd give it a try a couple times before giving up on it. I understand why it'd be frustrating, but it's something...Manchester has the attendance to be in the AHL again, but only if people continue to support the team there.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't Manchester lost the Monarchs because of attendance. It's a re-alignment and unfortunately for Manchester, the parent team is in California.

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008
Awesome news, I live about 20 minutes away. Will be nice to watch some of our prospects. That Stockton team is going to have piss poor ticket sales.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Awesome news, I live about 20 minutes away. Will be nice to watch some of our prospects. That Stockton team is going to have piss poor ticket sales.

Stockton has drawn well every year it has been in the ECHL. Is there a reason you think they won't do well?

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
This is good for the Kings (and all the other west coast teams), but I'm surprised it's economically viable for the AHL with the increased travel.

Having 5 teams in California will make it economically viable. They'll play within California A LOT.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site

On average attendance, Stockton averages 4,438 for the ECHL and the Adirondack Flames avg 3,568.

So that's not a bad start and if you look Ontario(7,235) out draws Manchester(5,571) and Bakersfield(4,648) out draws Oklahoma City(3,443).

Worcester averages 3,355 and Norfolk averages 4,533 a game.

It should be easy for San Jose to out do Worcester's numbers.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
On average attendance, Stockton averages 4,438 for the ECHL and the Adirondack Flames avg 3,568.

So that's not a bad start and if you look Ontario(7,235) out draws Manchester(5,571) and Bakersfield(4,648) out draws Oklahoma City(3,443).

But...but...but Kings fans are just a bunch of bandwagoners :sarcasm:

They are only Kings fans because the team won the cup :laugh:

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

San Diego consistently did about 5,000-6,000/game in the WCHL many years back.

San Jose is the wild card in all of this. If they can get crossover fans and promote the team at the Sharks games, they may do alright. Hard to know though, until it happens.

Geography has been against these West coast teams for a long time, but they outdraw a large number of ECHL and AHL teams out East where people "love hockey"

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

I, for one, am shocked there are 4,438 people in Stockton who can spell hockey.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I, for one, am shocked there are 4,438 people in Stockton who can spell hockey.

They used to draw much better than that, before the city went bankrupt. For several years, they were putting up attendance numbers in the 6,000's. The trend isn't good, but they do draw well for minor league hockey.

2014-15: 4,438
2013-14: 4,786
2012-13: 5,485
2011-12: 5,916
2010-11: 6,382
2009-10: 6,031
2008-09: 6,218
2007-08: 6,648

Worth noting that their team is VERY bad this year. They've lost something like 11 games in a row.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
very smart of the Ducks to put their team in San Diego. I think they will do well there

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
very smart of the Ducks to put their team in San Diego. I think they will do well there

I think that both LA and Anaheim will be extremely happy with this move. San Jose could either be a great success or a total flop. Either way, call-ups just got MUCH easier. Lots more access to NHL coaching staff too (Goalie coach can drive to Ontario for the afternoon to work with a prospect, for example). It'll be interesting to see how much crossover the California teams get from NHL fans interested in seeing how their prospects are doing.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

what are the ticket prices in Ontario?
people are just going to have to understand the bitterness and folks being ticked off around here. Yeah most of us understand its a business but it still sucks. Many folks like myself have invested a ton since day 1.
I hope we get another AHL team. Wont drop 30 bucks per night to see ECHL hockey.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
people are just going to have to understand the bitterness and folks being ticked off around here. Yeah most of us understand its a business but it still sucks. Many folks like myself have invested a ton since day 1.
I hope we get another AHL team. Wont drop 30 bucks per night to see ECHL hockey.

Currently, ticket prices are:

SINGLE GAME TICKET PRICING
Seat Location Single Game (weekday) Single Game (weekend)
GLASS $55 $55
CENTER ICE $26 $30
WRAP AROUND (ATTACK) $25 $25
WRAP AROUND (DEFEND) $21 $24
NEUTRAL ZONE $20 $23
CROSSBAR $13 $13
TOP SHELF $10 $10

I saw an article that said that they were investigating pricing. They were considering keeping it roughly the same. I checked, and these are actually higher than what Manchester fans were paying...still a good deal though to be able to get in the building for $10 (plus service fee).

*Edit: Entry price for Manchester is higher, but the top prices are lower.

Last edited:

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site

They do really well with group sales and that's what drives a lot of their attendance. I'd say the normal fan base is about 3-4K in season ticket holders, but they're able to constantly get 2-4K in walk in sales each night.

Now for the season seats holders, I doubt they'll have any problem paying these prices. There's a ton of hardcore Reign ticker holders that drop insane amounts of money on the specialty jerseys that the Reign produce. The normal run of the mill player goes for $800 and some players like Gasper Kopitar hit $2,000+ during the charity auctions.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
San Diego consistently did about 5,000-6,000/game in the WCHL many years back.

And in the ECHL they would announce similar numbers, but I can tell you, the "butts in the stands" for that last season were MUCH lower than the announced numbers indicated -- at least that's what my eyes told me.

That said, they're back, now, OFFICIALLY.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/page/csnbayareacom-live

Luc just got done talking.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Hopefully this lessens the sting a bit for Richards if he has to play in the minors next year. At least he'll still be relatively close to the guys...

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
http://theahl.com/ahl-approves-formation-of-pacific-division-p196033

January 29, 2015

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews announced today that the league’s Board of Governors has formally and unanimously approved the steps necessary to create a Pacific Division within the AHL beginning with the 2015-16 season.

The Board has approved the following:

• The Anaheim Ducks will purchase the Norfolk Admirals AHL franchise and will relocate it from Norfolk, Va., to San Diego, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Calgary Flames will relocate from Glens Falls, N.Y., to Stockton, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Edmonton Oilers will relocate from Oklahoma City, Okla., to Bakersfield, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Los Angeles Kings will relocate from Manchester, N.H., to Ontario, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the San Jose Sharks will relocate from Worcester, Mass., to San Jose, Calif.

Full division alignments and schedule formats for the 2015-16 season will be determined by the Board of Governors at a later date.

“Relocating five teams is a complex process, and we are very excited to have brought this initiative to a successful outcome,” said Andrews. “The Western-based NHL clubs have been in dialogue with our league for almost three years, and today’s announcement launches a new era for the American Hockey League and for professional hockey in California.”

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad