News Article: AHL West Official Announcement Set for Thursday

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
It just makes so much more sense for the Kings this way... But I do feel for you Manchester-fans, gotta be awful to have your team taken away.

Captain Mittens*

It just makes so much more sense for the Kings this way... But I do feel for you Manchester-fans, gotta be awful to have your team taken away.
They are getting the Reign. So dl they do get to see the future Monarchs

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
AWESOME!

I live two miles from Citizens Business Bank arena. I'll definitely will be going to games. Hopefully they get some sort of TV deal.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is freaking awesome for me as I'll now have AHL hockey in my backyard, but I feel so much for a lot of the folks back east, and actually, in response to below

As CNS suggested, a click on a link and a couple minutes of reading would reveal that.

That said, before there's a blizzard of people jumping in who haven't been following this whole thing, here's what's been reported (though not yet officially confirmed by the AHL, as CNS's link stated):

EDMONTON: Bakersfield (existing ECHL team moving to Norfolk)
CALGARY: Stockton (existing ECHL team being swapped with AHL Adirondack)
SAN JOSE: San Jose (sharing the SAP Center with the big Sharks on what's expected to be a 1-3 year solution until the Sharks practice rink is expanded as the AHL team's new "permanent" home)
ANAHEIM: San Diego
LOS ANGELES: Ontario (existing ECHL team being swapped with AHL Manchester)

Calgary can't be too thrilled, though if they're swapping teams it's maybe not as big a deal...Unless I'm missing something entirely, a Flames affiliate there seems kinda off. I know Stockton has pulled well for the ECHL though (even though they've tapered off recently) so I'd love to be wrong, they just seem like the odd pairing. Edmonton with Bakersfield is kinda interesting too. San Jose will pull well since it's in their backyard I'd like to think.

Cup 4 the Kings

It only took 45 yrs!
Nov 16, 2005
Cucamonga
Suhweet!!! I live like 10 mins from CBB Arena. I'll definitely be going to some games!!! :yo:

I do feel sorry for you East Coasters having your team taken away from you :(

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
This is freaking awesome for me as I'll now have AHL hockey in my backyard, but I feel so much for a lot of the folks back east, and actually, in response to below

Calgary can't be too thrilled, though if they're swapping teams it's maybe not as big a deal...Unless I'm missing something entirely, a Flames affiliate there seems kinda off. I know Stockton has pulled well for the ECHL though (even though they've tapered off recently) so I'd love to be wrong, they just seem like the odd pairing. Edmonton with Bakersfield is kinda interesting too. San Jose will pull well since it's in their backyard I'd like to think.

Stockton actually makes a lot of sense. Close to the other new California teams for cheap travel, better attendance than Adirondack, and a quick (direct) flight from SF Airport to Calgary.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
They're really isn't any tv deals in the AHL. I think the only team that has one is the Chicago Wolves, who see them selves as a competition to the Blackhawks. The Toronto Marlies and St. John's IceCaps have games on tv as well. But the Monarchs haven't had a game televised in years! However, since not only the team, but the league will be new to Califroina you may see the "honeymoon phase", where there will be a higher then usual amount of coverage. The Ontario Reign actually have the 2nd best attendance in all of minor league. And with move to the AHL, I think they'll be number 1.

The AHL is an awesome league, the 2nd best league in the world. And it truly is now completely tied to the NHL. Each AHL team is tied with it's NHL team. I'm really looking forward to Kings fans becoming more knowledgeable and aware of the Kings american league team. To me in an extension of the Kings. When I think of the Kings, I think of both teams. It also makes the draft more exciting. You get to see nearly every draft pick play for organization. To me guys like Hickey, Kozun, Zatkoff, Cliche, the infamous Bud Holloway :laugh: were guys I watched play for the LA Kings organization for years.

As bummed as I am about the team moving. There is actually a lot more postives then negatives to me on a personal level as a fan. It's just that negative is a HUGE one :cry:

Enjoy it , *******s! :sarcasm:

ExistentialIcing

Jan 9, 2015
The team in Manchester will be called the Monarchs and the team in Ontario will be called the Reign. Obviously, there will be some (major?) adjustments to the Reign's sweaters since their current colors are orange and blue, and they will need to be switched to a black/white dominant theme.

Ontario fans are very passionate about the name, I'm glad they are keeping the team as the Reign. Also, CBB Arena is a FANTASTIC arena for hockey, and the team has an average attendance of over 7000, so if some of you have never been, I strongly advise you to go. It sounds like the season schedule will be reduced by 5-7 games to eliminate all weekday games. It will be a FRI-SAT-SUN league.

It will be pretty cool to have the Kings' AHL affiliate immediately be one of the Top 3 attendance draws in the AHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Stockton actually makes a lot of sense. Close to the other new California teams for cheap travel, better attendance than Adirondack, and a quick (direct) flight from SF Airport to Calgary.

Thanks! Makes sense. I just figured they'd be bummed moving an affiliate farther away when the rest of the teams are benefiting so much but that helps.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Will they still be the Monarchs when they move to Ontario. No need to change the name but you never know.

Do people not read articles? All the details have been laid out there. The Ontario Reign will be the AHL team and the Manchester Monarchs will be the ECHL team.

Stockton makes no sense. What a ****ing pit of a city. I'm serious - a city like Stockton is a great way to deter prospects from your system. The only good thing to ever come out of that cesspool is the Diaz brothers.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Stockton makes no sense. What a ****ing pit of a city. I'm serious - a city like Stockton is a great way to deter prospects from your system. The only good thing to ever come out of that cesspool is the Diaz brothers.

Deterring prospects isn't really a concern. They get drafted and don't have a choice where they go for their entry level contract. They'll be in California where the weather is good and have access to San Francisco, Napa, Sonoma, San Jose, Tahoe in a relatively short drive. Would you rather be in upstate New York or in California in the winter? Yeah, Stockton is a pit, but they have a nice new-ish arena and they support their team well. More importantly, it makes sense for Calgary and call-ups.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Amazing that California will be home to five AHL teams! This should be fun.

I can't wait. All those good prospects for all the local teams...it's amazing that with so many things that needed to happen that they pulled it off.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
As someone who lives 10 minutes from Citizens Bank Arena...this makes me very happy.

Edit: LOL seems a number of us live in the IE.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
As someone who lives 10 minutes from Citizens Bank Arena...this makes me very happy.

Edit: LOL seems a number of us live in the IE.

If you haven't gone, it's a great barn for hockey. Super easy access and inexpensive by most standards. I think I saw somewhere that they were doing a study to see if they should change ticket prices at all. They noted that they wanted to keep that $10 entry level ticket. There really isn't a bad seat in the house, so it should be perfect for AHL hockey.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
If you haven't gone, it's a great barn for hockey. Super easy access and inexpensive by most standards. I think I saw somewhere that they were doing a study to see if they should change ticket prices at all. They noted that they wanted to keep that $10 entry level ticket. There really isn't a bad seat in the house, so it should be perfect for AHL hockey.

I bought tickets for the pre-season matchup vs. the Ducks + the Alumni game in 2013...:laugh:. Thanks lockout.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
t sounds like the season schedule will be reduced by 5-7 games to eliminate all weekday games. It will be a FRI-SAT-SUN league.

What I've read sounds like a reduction was proposed and/or discussed, but my read of the tea leaves is that no such reduction actually went through -- I'm anticipating 38 home games (76 total) in the AHL regular season next year, just like this year.

Plus, take a look at the breakdowns -- ECHL Ontario had/has 10 Wednesday games this year, more than Friday or Saturday, and that was with a 36 home game schedule. Removing even six games from that still doesn't eliminate the Wednesday games, much less entirely remove weekday games. The team would PREFER weekend dates, obviously, but arena availability is what it is, even with AEG as managers.

SkateFreak

Aug 25, 2010
Florida
Well this should be good for everyone maybe except Calgary. Now instead of someone being recalled it takes them a whole day to get to the team will be only 30mins to an hour away. Also where is the Arizona Coyotes AHL team playing at? Are they moving from Portland to PHX?

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Well this should be good for everyone maybe except Calgary. Now instead of someone being recalled it takes them a whole day to get to the team will be only 30mins to an hour away. Also where is the Arizona Coyotes AHL team playing at? Are they moving from Portland to PHX?

For Calgary it's better too. Quick drive to SFO, then a 2.5 hour direct flight to Calgary. Compare that to leaving Glens Falls, driving several hours to the airport, then going from one end of the continent to the other. Plus Calgary frequently plays against San Jose, LA and Anaheim, so call ups on the road are easier as well.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
Looks like I'll definitely be seeing lots of you guys around more often. 15 mins away from CBB and I can attest to the fantastic sight lines for hockey. This is super exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad